Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 11:14 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
Your luck may run out.
How right you are. In the Tenderloin it's only a matter of time.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:03 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I have finally had enough of the passive aggressive social tyranny that rules Seattle. I am working getting out. I am juggling preservation of my career with moving back to Phoenix, AZ a.s.a.p.

I look forward to being around live people again!
You might find the same passive-aggressive down in Phoenix.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
You might find the same passive-aggressive down in Phoenix.
My aunt and cousins live in Phoenix and from what they've told me, it's there too.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
My aunt and cousins live in Phoenix and from what they've told me, it's there too.
It's all over. It's here in Atlanta too. Leaving Seattle won't change that.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
It's all over. It's here in Atlanta too. Leaving Seattle won't change that.
There are areas of the country where the cultural mores require a much more direct style. Consequently, in those areas people will be a lot more forthright regarding their disappointment and irritation. Some people like that, some don't. I find it better as I don't like to try guessing what is on someone else's mind when they are peeved. So yes, if you leave Seattle and move to a part of the country where people are more open that way, it will change. I've lived in several different regions of the country and each had a distinct local culture.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
There are areas of the country where the cultural mores require a much more direct style. Consequently, in those areas people will be a lot more forthright regarding their disappointment and irritation. Some people like that, some don't. I find it better as I don't like to try guessing what is on someone else's mind when they are peeved. So yes, if you leave Seattle and move to a part of the country where people are more open that way, it will change. I've lived in several different regions of the country and each had a distinct local culture.
I am kind of jaded in my thinking. I have a hard time believing that the Seattle area has the monopoly on passive-aggressive. Granted, there is a slight reserve compared to where I currently live. On the other hand, my own experiences in college have included alot of passive aggressive, in the Deep South.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I agree, our country spans a continent so it should be expected that there will be a lot of different cultures from one area to another.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I am kind of jaded in my thinking. I have a hard time believing that the Seattle area has the monopoly on passive-aggressive. Granted, there is a slight reserve compared to where I currently live. On the other hand, my own experiences in college have included alot of passive aggressive, in the Deep South.
I think jenni was speaking more in general.

You're right when you say Seattle does not have a monopoly on passive-aggressiveness. San Diego is very much that way with every aspect of life, not just racism and to some degree, so is San Francisco.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM

807 posts, read 2,258,314 times
Quote:
On the other hand, my own experiences in college have included alot of passive aggressive, in the Deep South.

"Well bless your heart!"

Old 08-05-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
"Well bless your heart!"
lol. Actually, the only time anyone has ever said that to me, it was not out of passive-aggressiveness. I was hospitalized and one of the nurses could see that I was in alot of pain. She said those exact words to me, as her way of empathizing with me.
But I have dealt with alot of passive-aggressive people in college, and not the "bless your heart" stuff either. It was more in the form of backstabbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area