U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,464,722 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I just read all the posts on this thread, and the word "exageration" comes to mind. Every negative about Seattle seems exagerated in this thread.

Weather: Yes, the sunny season is July 4 through Labor Day. However, there are plenty of sunny days outside of this window, as opposed to "dark, overcast days 9 months of the year".

Social: Yes, people are more reserved here. So what? If you are not reserved, then do your magic and see what happens. If you are, then you will be among friends. Think about it.

Outdoorsy: It really is optional. Really. You don't have to climb mountains or kayak to enjoy the area.

Business: Yes, more laid-back than the east-coast. Is that a bad thing? I think the area rewards hard-work AND creativity, AND a balance between work and personal. Just look at all the major companies that choose to headquarter in the Seattle area. I think they have the right idea for the 21st century.

Last edited by pw72; 07-14-2011 at 09:20 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:28 AM

84 posts, read 196,226 times
Default Thank you!

Thank you all for your comments. Which would be a better option Seattle or Bellevue?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:06 AM

5 posts, read 11,923 times
Default Don't do it! Please don't do it!

Dear Original Poster:

There is so much to comment on in this thread: We have a lot in common, both demographically and professionally. But I won't bore you with the details. I am posting to tell you, implore you, beg of you, and to tell you again:

DO NOT MOVE TO SEATTLE!

Don't do it. Find some other city. Any other city. Atlanta may not be your style, but try Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte. Even Miami. Or if the south isn't your thing anymore, DC/Baltimore could do it for you. Chicago can be nice, and even Austin, TX. But NOT Seattle.

I am telling you what I wish someone had told me before I moved here. There are 3 main things that are turning out to be dealbreakers for me as someone who moved here from the sunny southeast:

1. The weather is incredibly bad. Seriously bad. Probably the worst in the lower 48 states (only Alaska is probably worse). It is dark most of the time (as in "can someone please turn the lights on" dark), even in July. I had to turn both lamps in my bedroom on today at noon because there is just NO sun. Even in July. Read that again. EVEN IN JULY. People will lie to you and tell you that the "summers are beautiful." What they neglect to say is that summer is about 3 weeks long, and it still hasn't started yet. If you don't believe me please go over to weather.com and check.

The worst part about the weather is that even if you do venture out and do something in it, it's just not fun. No fun to have to wear a headlamp, reflective tape, mud-flaps, gore-tex, and all this other REI crap just to take a bike ride. No fun to not be able to go swimming in the middle of July. No fun to slip and slide down the mountains on your hikes.

Most likely, instead of being an outdoorsy person, you will get depressed, stay inside, munch on carbs, and wish someone had told you about this before you moved. Please read my post in "infamous" seattle weather thread to get more of an idea about how the weather really can put a cramp in your style.

2. The people are awkward and antisocial, not friendly, and borderline rude. Maybe autistic? Coming from the South, I used to say "good morning" to everyone I saw. When I do that here, people look me straight in the eye, blankly, blink, and turn their heads. It is very strange, and happens on a daily basis. I am used to saying "excuse me" when I walk in front of someone standing in the aisle at the grocery store. People here don't get it: They cut in front of you and don't say a word: it's as if you aren't there. And don't let me count how many times people have dropped doors on me at the mall, post office, whatever. I guess they have never heard that you are supposed to hold the door for the person behind you. I know all these little things sound like nothing, but day after day these little impolite acts get to you, especially when you travel to another city and everyone is polite and talkative again. You realize that no, it's not in your head. People in Seattle really have social interaction problems. I really think the weather has a lot to do with the anti-social behavior. Even I get that way after weeks on end of dark and gray, and I used to be a pretty outgoing person.

3. The cost of living is outrageous for what you get. In Seattle, a "good deal" on a house is anything less than $400k. And if you get a house for that kind of money, it's going to be old and very ugly. Seattle people know nothing about curb appeal. I very much miss the spacious and beautiful homes back in the southeast. Try looking at houses for sale on seattle.craigslist.org if you don't believe me.

Again, I implore you: Please DO NOT move to Seattle. If I had it to do all over again I would not have come here. I am trying to help you not make the same mistake. If you really feel like you want to come, see if you can come for a temporary, time-limited stint so you're not trapped. Everyone needs an exit strategy from Seattle.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:35 AM

62 posts, read 128,751 times
Please don't make the mistake many others have made and move to this miserable place.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:36 AM

635 posts, read 1,354,061 times
Truthfully, I'm from Atlanta and was forced to come to this terrible place, because of the military, and I have hated it yes there are a lot of parks for recreation, and beautiful mountains, however the weather is terrible and depressing and everyday I'm here I fantasize about being back on the east coast. Really, please stay on the east coast it really is the best choice these people here who tell you the summer is awesome here are wrong their summers are 3 weeks long and they couldn't have experienced summer elsewhere. The mountains aren't worth it there are very few days you can see them anyways. Do yourself a favor and pick somewhere else.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:55 AM

5,757 posts, read 4,621,587 times
I currently live in Atlanta but lived in Seattle some 10 years ago. I prefer Atlanta. I liked Seattle a lot and the people there will treat you the way you treat them, so no worries about that. ONe word of warning though about Seattle. You may say that overcast and rain wont bother you and it probably wont for a few days or a week but when you get months and months and months of rain and overcast it starts to wear on you. I lived in Seattle almost 2 years and enjoyed my time there and am glad I moved there but I am also glad I moved away.

I recommend you go but keep your options open to moving back or away in a year or two.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:00 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,464,722 times
Good grief. I would guess atleast some of the above posts are people who secretly love it and want to keep others out. Pretty obvious. Beyond that, nobody should move anywhere without thoroughly checking it out with careful research and visits, not from disgruntled past residents, which can be found just about anywhere.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 PM

62 posts, read 128,751 times
^Typical Northwest denial.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:35 PM

635 posts, read 1,354,061 times
Not disgruntled at all,but everything you mentioned being interested in can new found in almost every major city, so don't make the mistake of moving here there are alot better options.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:17 PM

18,716 posts, read 19,028,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostJoyDivision View Post
Hey Blue1Roses,
I am from Arizona and lived in Seattle/Olympia for almost two years, and I plan to move back in a year (after college). In regards to the assumtion that you will be okay with the weather: it would probably be wise to visit during the winter or early spring just to get an idea of the sort of weather you will experience for the majority of the year. I know a visit cannot not sum up how you will feel after seven months of overcast and/or rain. I assumed that I would love the coolness, overcast and the rain of western WA because I hated the constant heat under clear, bright blue skies here in southern AZ. Well, I got a little anxious when June (of last year) rolled around and it was still raining. I still love Seattle/Oly and will be back, but it took a will for me to embrace the weather for what it is rather than wish for it to be something else. I moved there without ever stepping foot in the state beforehand, so at least you'll get some great information before you make your decision
I will say that the hardest thing for me to adjust to was the weather, not the culture. I am an African American female and I did not have a hard time adjusting in Seattle. I've never been to ATL and I don't know anything about your personality so I can't tell you how much of a culture shock you may experience. Your desire for outdoor activities, organic food, pleasant people and culture, I believe, will be satisfied up there. I will say though, I didn't feel out of place due to race. I really didn't notice any well segregated neighborhoods (well, Central District was historically a black neighborhood but I believe more whites and Asians live there now, someone correct me if I am wrong), which to me is a good thing. I tend to date interracially as well, and this was not an issue in Seattle. White men mostly approached me, followed by Hispanic and black. So as long as you keep an open mind and are outgoing (and a little more aggressive), you should be fine.

Yep, your post is spot on in my opinion. You really need to get some experience in the place you are going to live. A bit of experience will not always make your move a winner, but it really helps.

I researched the WEATHER and other thing about Tucson before I moved there. But the real life experience of living there in the SUMMER was a different thing. The second summer when it started getting in the 90's in April..............well........I knew I would not be staying long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area