U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 PM

4,991 posts, read 7,671,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
To OP, yes, Seattle would be a great fit for you. I'm originally from NC & found the West Coast culture refreshing (ie. no talk of religion, more intellectual, no apparent racial conflict, freedom to date interracially, progressive, socially liberal, etc...).
Very important part. Newt Gingrich would even lose running for dog catcher out here, but look how far he got in Suburban Atlanta? That should tell you something right there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 11:42 PM

89 posts, read 72,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Siobhan View Post
Hi! I am a 31 year old Black American female who lived in Seattle from 2007-2010; in 2010, I moved to Dublin, Ireland, and I have now returned to the States and presently relocating back to Seattle. I grew up predominately in the Midwest which has its own distinct vibe.

From my own experiences, and from what you have shared, I think you will really like Seattle. It is a great place for people in the IT field; you will find a supportive Black and professional network if that is something you seek to join. I personally found it difficult to meet people in Seattle (and I was even in a Seattle Times article about that) but I joined Meetup.com and I was able to meet many great people that way. As someone from the Midwest, I was struck by the number of BW/WM relationships in Seattle; so, I think if your goal is to date across ethnicities, Seattle is one of the best places to be.

You will have plenty of opportunities to enjoy hiking trails, make a trip to the coast, or enjoy local wineries. It took living abroad, in a predominately White nation, to understand just how good Seattle is for people of color.

We seem to be like-minded individuals. So, if you have any questions or need a connection, please feel free to send me a PM.
I used to stay in Seattle and there is the "Seattle freeze." But that aside, there are lots of places to hike, theater is great there. Personally I liked the triple door to wind down. It is a bar with a band that comes in to play and is downtown Seattle, not theater but I found the atmosphere light and easy. Alaskan way is also wonderful to stroll about and watch the birds fly around.

Like any city, there are places to avoid. And one can see the stark differences when dining at somewhere like the Purple door and going a few streets towards the International district and seeing how in ruins everything begins to look.

I moved to the Midwest and am here currently but am looking to move away as it is too cold here. There are other reasons too. The main reason why I left Seattle was the contract situation I kept finding myself in. It seemed impossible, at least for me to get a full time job.

I hold an Economics degree and a MBA. I scored high in admission test etc and am not a "dull" by any means. I think it was a cultural mismatch.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:26 AM

676 posts, read 672,183 times
It seems like it would be a good fit for you with the exception of your budget. You could find a studio for 1200, but most people are used to getting more space for that much. If space isn't an issue for you then Seattle would be a great fit! There is too much to do to be inside anyway. I live in Tacoma, but I am very rarely at home. Lots of nature access in walking distance from the city. If you can handle a grey and cold winter, well relatively cold, I think it would be a great move for you!

Old 04-20-2017, 08:55 PM

14,605 posts, read 4,809,916 times
Um, you're responding to a question that was asked almost 6 years ago.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:45 AM

317 posts, read 862,747 times
Someone needs to stop resurrecting all these old threads.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:02 PM

18 posts, read 2,160 times
East Coast all day! Seattle is cold, and I'm not talking about the weather. You'll HATE it here. Anyway, yours is an old post and if you moved here you already know.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom View Post
Someone needs to stop resurrecting all these old threads.
People still HATE Seattle- that will never change- so these threads never actually "die".

Last edited by BelltownDaisy; 09-01-2020 at 02:16 PM..

Old 09-01-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Um, you're responding to a question that was asked almost 6 years ago.
People are still interested in this issue in 2020 when I'm commenting. I exist in Seattle and HATE it here! I wish I'd read this before coming to this hell!

Last edited by BelltownDaisy; 09-01-2020 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-01-2020, 02:09 PM

That's not why people from other states HATE it here. Yeah, if you are openly racist you would hate it here, but I think people from elsewhere HATE Seattle because Seattle is dead. There is no human connection. Each day is the same as the last. The weather is terrible. It's really not that cold, just up and down. But the people... That's the number 1 problem with Seattle.

And, related to this, not diverse enough. Too bland and depressing.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonA View Post
Dear Original Poster:

There is so much to comment on in this thread: We have a lot in common, both demographically and professionally. But I won't bore you with the details. I am posting to tell you, implore you, beg of you, and to tell you again:

DO NOT MOVE TO SEATTLE!

Don't do it. Find some other city. Any other city. Atlanta may not be your style, but try Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte. Even Miami. Or if the south isn't your thing anymore, DC/Baltimore could do it for you. Chicago can be nice, and even Austin, TX. But NOT Seattle.

I am telling you what I wish someone had told me before I moved here. There are 3 main things that are turning out to be dealbreakers for me as someone who moved here from the sunny southeast:

1. The weather is incredibly bad. Seriously bad. Probably the worst in the lower 48 states (only Alaska is probably worse). It is dark most of the time (as in "can someone please turn the lights on" dark), even in July. I had to turn both lamps in my bedroom on today at noon because there is just NO sun. Even in July. Read that again. EVEN IN JULY. People will lie to you and tell you that the "summers are beautiful." What they neglect to say is that summer is about 3 weeks long, and it still hasn't started yet. If you don't believe me please go over to weather.com and check.

The worst part about the weather is that even if you do venture out and do something in it, it's just not fun. No fun to have to wear a headlamp, reflective tape, mud-flaps, gore-tex, and all this other REI crap just to take a bike ride. No fun to not be able to go swimming in the middle of July. No fun to slip and slide down the mountains on your hikes.

Most likely, instead of being an outdoorsy person, you will get depressed, stay inside, munch on carbs, and wish someone had told you about this before you moved. Please read my post in "infamous" seattle weather thread to get more of an idea about how the weather really can put a cramp in your style.

2. The people are awkward and antisocial, not friendly, and borderline rude. Maybe autistic? Coming from the South, I used to say "good morning" to everyone I saw. When I do that here, people look me straight in the eye, blankly, blink, and turn their heads. It is very strange, and happens on a daily basis. I am used to saying "excuse me" when I walk in front of someone standing in the aisle at the grocery store. People here don't get it: They cut in front of you and don't say a word: it's as if you aren't there. And don't let me count how many times people have dropped doors on me at the mall, post office, whatever. I guess they have never heard that you are supposed to hold the door for the person behind you. I know all these little things sound like nothing, but day after day these little impolite acts get to you, especially when you travel to another city and everyone is polite and talkative again. You realize that no, it's not in your head. People in Seattle really have social interaction problems. I really think the weather has a lot to do with the anti-social behavior. Even I get that way after weeks on end of dark and gray, and I used to be a pretty outgoing person.

3. The cost of living is outrageous for what you get. In Seattle, a "good deal" on a house is anything less than $400k. And if you get a house for that kind of money, it's going to be old and very ugly. Seattle people know nothing about curb appeal. I very much miss the spacious and beautiful homes back in the southeast. Try looking at houses for sale on seattle.craigslist.org if you don't believe me.

Again, I implore you: Please DO NOT move to Seattle. If I had it to do all over again I would not have come here. I am trying to help you not make the same mistake. If you really feel like you want to come, see if you can come for a temporary, time-limited stint so you're not trapped. Everyone needs an exit strategy from Seattle.
AMEN! I could have written this comment myself! I wish someone had warned me about Seattle! One of biggest mistakes of my life! This place is killing me and has forever changed me negatively!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area