Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:38 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

To the OP: It sounds like you and I have similar lifestyles. I am also African-American and living in the Atlanta area. I enjoy my share of theatre. My favorite though, was the Korean percussion performance given at my university. Alot of the stuff you mention(organic foods, hiking, walkable areas), I would actually enjoy those things. I'm also a fan of some classical music.
As a personal reference, I have met a few Black people from the state of Washington. In fact, of the ones I have met, I have heard nothing but good reviews about it. My father worked for Boeing while we lived in the Seattle area. He liked living up there better than living in Georgia. I have a friend from the Olympia area. We both have struggled with one thing living in the Atlanta area: We've both been dubbed as "not Black enough".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 09:52 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
To OP, yes, Seattle would be a great fit for you. I'm originally from NC & found the West Coast culture refreshing (ie. no talk of religion, more intellectual, no apparent racial conflict, freedom to date interracially, progressive, socially liberal, etc...). The winters can be dreary, with a thick blanket of persistent grey clouds & shorter daylight hours, but the summers are usually drop-dead gorgeous. Atlanta may be more laid back and openly friendly though, as is the SE in general. People here are friendly, but it's a city of introverts. Read up on the "Seattle Freeze".

You can find a place within Seattle. Don't live near the airport (Tukwila), for that area is not what you are looking for. Instead, stick to Seattle proper (NE/NW neighborhoods, West Seattle, Capital Hill, Queen Anne, Eastlake, etc...).

Best wishes to you.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenChair View Post
I have lived in WA 7 years now and in just those 7 yrs see the annual weather pattern changing (as in all of U.S.) I absolutely hate it here. I have to be blunt so you don't make a mistake. It isn't the 'rain' that gets to you. It is dark and dim for 3/4 of the year...the sun never shines. People 'claim' they still go out and do stuff but that hasn't been my experience. You find yourself indoors putting on weight because it isn't that much fun to go out on a dark and dim day. I mean dark and dim at midday. Your 'good weather' where you manage to forget the rest of the year is between July 4th and 2nd week of September. That's IT!! By 2nd week of Sept the rain starts again--people I email think I'm joking sometimes so I step outside and take a photo at midday and send it to them. Then they 'get it.' Dim, dim dim light to drive in. I've lived on the east coast as well. My vote is for the East Coast as long as you don't pick a place so humid you can't sleep at night. I'm not a curmudgeon, just tired of folks here saying oh they bike and hike all year and get outdoors. Baloney they do. A few do. I have found that meeting people here is harder than anywhere I've ever lived. I've never had trouble anywhere, but here it's almost like they just drive out of their garages to their destination, drive right back into their garages. Well, of course--it's raining. So you just don't have all those spontaneous chances to meet folks like you do if you live where the sun comes out. Where I lived before the sun was out even all winter...in the snow You don't have to live like this--don't make the mistake my folks did and 'see it in the only 3 good months and then buy a house' and complain for the next 40 yrs what a mistake it was. Find a place the sun actually comes out and there is 'light' during daytime. The freeways here are horrible between Seattle and anywhere. Worse than California by far. Big huge trucks driving large waterfalls up and over your car if you're behind and you can't see a thing. It's a major truck route so the freeways are full of trucks trucks trucks...dangerous wet driving all the time.
I would have to agree with all of this. Sometimes my child wakes up in the morning, and while looking out of the window, asks if it is night or day. Once the sun shines in the summer, he hides his eyes like some vampire kid. I think a substantial portion of the population must be on some kind of antidepressant just to get through the dreary winters. Many people hole up in coffee shops or bars during that part of the year.

But not everyone is so affected by the weather. There are some who continue to bike, hike and kayak year long. Also, the summers and early Fall are the most beautiful I've ever seen in the U.S. And boy do people come out of the woodwork then -- bikes, boats, bonfires, festivals, restaurant patios, etc.. galore.

I have made good friends here. Like any place, it's important to get involved in the community. Yoga will likely bring lots of new people into your life. Also, there are tons of transplants from the East Coast and Europe who are seeking friendship. If you stay active, you'll meet people.

Personally, the main problem I have w/ Seattle is the feeling of isolation. I miss the variety of the East Coast, and the ability to take a weekend road trip to experience a new city. Here, the main places to visit are Portland or Vancouver, Canada -- both very similar to Seattle. I want access to D.C. and all it's museums again, so we're thinking about moving to the mid-Atlantic region.

Last edited by west seattle gal; 07-08-2011 at 10:11 PM..

Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 AM

620 posts, read 1,299,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue1Roses View Post
I am a 32 year old, African American woman currently living in Atlanta and I need a change. I moved here a few years ago for my job, and now I can work anywhere in the US as my job is a work at home job. I need a change of scenery and need something fresh in my life.

More about me: I am single, love to walk and hike. I enjoy the theater (plays, musicals, opera, ballet, etc), music and movies. Full time I am in the IT field. Part time, I am a yoga teacher. I teach yoga because I love it so much, not for the money. I also into fitness and do yoga myself 4 days a week. I am looking for a place with mild temperatures, nice walkable areas (parks, trails, hiking) good yoga studios, organic food, nice people and lots of culture. I love to travel and want to live near the airport and also near places to drive to for weekend getaways. I love the mountains and the ocean. I am also looking to settle down and I date interracially. My budget is around $1200 for an apartment in a nice neighborhood (with room for my home office). I would prefer to live around other like minded, educated people. I can get along with all races, ages, and cultures, just as long as they are nice and civil

Atlanta weather is hot and sunny, but too hot for my taste. I don't want cold and snow (I grew up in the midwest and don't miss the weather) .... and I would be OK with Seattle cloudiness and rain..... Would Seattle be the best place for me or maybe somewhere on the East Coast (Maryland or DC)?

I would like to live on the West Coast (California is too expensive and I don't really like the vibe of Cali). So, based on all of this, would Seattle fit for me?
Hi! I am a 31 year old Black American female who lived in Seattle from 2007-2010; in 2010, I moved to Dublin, Ireland, and I have now returned to the States and presently relocating back to Seattle. I grew up predominately in the Midwest which has its own distinct vibe.

From my own experiences, and from what you have shared, I think you will really like Seattle. It is a great place for people in the IT field; you will find a supportive Black and professional network if that is something you seek to join. I personally found it difficult to meet people in Seattle (and I was even in a Seattle Times article about that) but I joined Meetup.com and I was able to meet many great people that way. As someone from the Midwest, I was struck by the number of BW/WM relationships in Seattle; so, I think if your goal is to date across ethnicities, Seattle is one of the best places to be.

You will have plenty of opportunities to enjoy hiking trails, make a trip to the coast, or enjoy local wineries. It took living abroad, in a predominately White nation, to understand just how good Seattle is for people of color.

We seem to be like-minded individuals. So, if you have any questions or need a connection, please feel free to send me a PM.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 PM

7 posts, read 11,188 times
i lived in shoreline seattle and in georgia. as you walk down the street in seattle people will pretend that their doing something so they don't have to say good morning. in georgia people will stop what their doing so they can say good morning.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 10,552 times
If you don't like sunlight and love isolation, you might think Seattle is great. If you spend 99-100% of your time indoors, but generally dress like you are about to go camping, you might consider Seattle to be wonderful.

If you think that it's better to communicate on the Internet than sit down and speak to someone face to face, Seattle could be your perfect spot.

If your idea of a "family" consists of yourself and a companion animal (especially a dog) and a few long distance friends on facebook, then you may think Seattle is superlative.

If you think dating is awkward and best avoided, you may find Seattle refreshing.

If you enjoy lots of weird social protocols, particularly ones you have to guess at and figure out, Seattle could be a fun challenge.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:04 AM

62 posts, read 160,698 times
"If you spend 99-100% of your time indoors, but generally dress like you are about to go camping, you might consider Seattle to be wonderful."

This is spot on!

Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 PM

76 posts, read 257,925 times
I live in Seattle and most of my neighbors go hiking and tend to be outdoors quite frequently.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:41 PM

82 posts, read 142,947 times
I doubt people stay inside more here than anywhere else in the U.S. I've lived in three other states and many folks lounge inside when it's below freezing or so hot outside you just sweat by standing...which is a large part of the year.

I ski, kayak and hike as much as possible (now it's less often since having kids) all year round. I see plenty of people on the trail, at the ski lift, and, well not so much on the rivers, but people get out.

The people that don't go out and do anything are the ones who tend to think no one else does either.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:17 PM

240 posts, read 534,495 times
Wow, this thread has not-so-gracefully turned into another Seattle-bashing thread. *sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area