Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 6,417 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm planning to move from the Bay area to the Greater Seattle area and was wondering how salaries compare between the two areas. I have some information from cost of living calculators(Sperlings, Payscale) but I'm not sure if they are accurate.

mod cut:

I'm moving with a family of 4. I currently earn close to 130k in the bay area and was wondering what an equivalent salary would be in the greater seattle area. Any information or help is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Meja

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-07-2011 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: links to competing sites removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:16 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,605,133 times
Personally, I think the salaries are similar but the cost of housing is lower in Seattle. Based on my work, I could live in either location and when the weather is getting me down, I consider the Bay Area. Then I look at the housing costs and state income taxes. Food is higher here too, we don't have those great markets with seven avocados for a dollar. I feel like produce is higher than steak here sometimes.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:23 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,751,562 times
If you're going to be working in the tech industry and can keep your salary (or something close to it), you're going to enjoy generally-lower housing prices in Seattle than you'll find in much of the greater Bay Area, and substantially lower than in SF. You also enjoy no income tax, and a 9.5% sales tax in King County (versus 10.5% in San Francisco, and 9.25 in Alameda County).

I've heard it stated that the cost of private schools is generally lower in the Seattle area than in the Bay Area, but this is somewhat outside my scope of expertise...

The cost of food is definitely higher, which is something to consider if you have kids. Produce is substantially higher because much of it has to travel further to get up there; much of it is grown in the Central Valley of California so it's cheaper down here. Even the cost of frozen goods is a bit higher, and prepared foods were generally considerably higher. This made a big deal to me when I was on an hourly wage, but less when I was salaried... though still enough that ultimately, I really wasn't saving any money in Seattle versus the Bay as a single guy in his 20's.

The cost to register and insure a car is generally lower in the Seattle area than down here; it cost me about $375 to register mine in CA in '08, and when I moved to Seattle six months later, it only cost me $110.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,182 times
How is the move to Seattle coming along? I may move there with family soon and wanted to check with you on your views. I am currently in San Jose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psivadasan View Post
Hello,

I'm planning to move from the Bay area to the Greater Seattle area and was wondering how salaries compare between the two areas. I have some information from cost of living calculators(Sperlings, Payscale) but I'm not sure if they are accurate.

mod cut:

I'm moving with a family of 4. I currently earn close to 130k in the bay area and was wondering what an equivalent salary would be in the greater seattle area. Any information or help is appreciated.

Many thanks,

Meja
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: