Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 12:13 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Yes, in our 18 years here, this is only the second (after last year) where we didn't have sun and warm from July 5th through August. Normally we say that the rest of the year with all the rain is worth it since the summer is so nice, but this year it looks like no summer yet...
Naturally, since I am visiting my daughter and SIL this week! but will be returning to the 95+ heat /humidity that is NC next week. Last year, I was here about the same time and the weather was gorgeous with temps in the 80s. I love this city!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 01:12 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappynessOfPursuit View Post
......Also, I am coming out there with just my clothes- and I am not even sure if my clothes will work out there- is there anything you could tell me is an absolute must-have item for the Seattle climate?
hOp
Generally speaking you would want to gradually wean yourself off cotton clothes for outdoors wear during the cold season. That's because cotton loses its insulating properties when it gets wet, and can cause hypothermia after a few hours if it's also cold out.

I don't know anything about clothing styles, but I think any of your cotton clothes will be fine worn indoors or even outside during the summer on nice days when it's not raining.

If you want the simplest solution to shopping for outdoors clothing, go to the main REI store. The clerks are very helpful and know their stuff. Generally speaking you would wear waterproof-breathable hooded jackets over light polyester or fleece. Merino wool socks or whatever they have out there now that keep you feet warm.

I'm a guy who likes to get all his shopping done in one fell swoop, of course I understand women like to go all sorts of places and dawdle. But from a purely practical perspective, REI is the place.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 18,578 times
Wow, thank you all for your varied perspectives! I am a little new to posting on forums in general, so thank you for bearing with me.

To answer an earlier poster who I believe said I was breaking their heart, I absolutely detest the so-called "paradise" weather here in SC. I am very fair skinned and the sun makes me miserable. We have lived here since 1987 and people kept telling me I would "Get used to it" but I never have! Summers are brutal, so humid it is like walking around in a dog's breath! I can't deny that the scenery is gorgeous, but I no longer wish to suffer through four to five months of this sauna from hell in order to have a mild winter. From what I understand, it gets colder in SC in the winter than it does in Seattle, anyway.

As to choosing Seattle over SC, aside from my abhorrence of the summers- it is VERY conservative here. I am talking 1950s. People are friendly, of course. I have never met a stranger here, and the food is awesome...BUT- it is not culturally diverse in the slightest, very "Good Ole Boy" and the ignorance is, at times, stunning. And the friendliness can be borderline invasive-downright prying. They will ask you where you live, where you work, how many kids, if you are married, etc- all while standing in line at the store! I am definitely not into that much disclosure..

Old 07-20-2011, 07:08 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,693 times
That's good to know about SC!

For clothes here, layers is the key. My everyday all year wear is a t-shirt with jeans or REI pants (with zip-off pant legs) or shorts. If chilly I add a sweatshirt. People make fun of our fleece, but rest assured you'll love a fleece jacket here. A baseball cap is sufficient for most rain. If windy (rare) or extra rainy, add a lightweight breathable rain jacket. This attire makes me look like almost every other Seattleite.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:47 PM

542 posts, read 1,478,922 times
HOS: I moved to Seattle from northern VA in 98 and lived there for 12 years. I'm in my 30s and an arty type, like to have fun but doing like the party in my backyard, so I can relate.
As far as clothes, bring what you have and you will figure it out. The no cotton comment was weird to me... I had plenty of cotton clothes. The truth is in general the weather stays pretty mild year round. Yes it will get colder in the winter and sometimes snow...the wind in the winter is the bigger issue. Summers are generally THE BEST (I live in NYC now and the one thing I really miss about Seattle is the summers...especially today!). I know they are having a colder/late start summer now, but usually they are gorgeous, but still mild enough that you can usually wear jeans almost year round!
What bugged me the most was how overcast it was most of the year (definitely in the winter), and like a lot of people there I developed a severe vitamin D defincieny (**severe**)....so be sure to take supplements. Geologically though it is a beautiful place.
Wait until you get there to find a house to share. You want to meet the people and remember you are interviewing them just as much as they are you. Craigslist IS a good place to look actually, just use common sense. Good neighborhoods based on your criteria (including no car) are Fremont, Wallingford, Phinney Ridge, and Ballard (although I personally think Ballard can sometimes be a little more challenging relying on public transportation and commute times, and the Ballard Bridge going up and down all the time can be a b*tch. Stylists jobs: if you are wanting to work for a really good place, prepare to have to go through *their* training for up to 2 years before being on the floor and taking clients yourself. Maybe you already know this. Some good places: Seven, Gary Manuel Salon, and Gene Juarez. Of course there are others and that's not the only option to go, but if you want to make real money and build a career doing it, that is generally going to be the track you will take(this is plus your cosmetology degree which I'm assuming you already have). Each of these places requires their own extensive training even if you have worked somewhere else before. Of course you can move quickly if you test well and pass the tests fast, but how quickly I'm not sure....I would guess at least still a year.
Anyway hope this helps.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:33 PM

Thank you so much for the extremely helpful advice...I did not know about any of these Salons, Gene Juarez seems to keep popping up, so I will check them out first. I do have my Cosmetology license, and have already applied for a reciprocal one for WA.
Vitamin D supplements? Wow! Ok. Will definitely get some.
I have a lot of cotton dresses, I figured they would be ok if I wore tights and a waterproof jacket...?
Also, it appears that I will be driving my car out there after all- not sure if I am going to keep it once I get there though.
Also- does anyone have information about the skate rinks out there? I am an avid rollergirl...need to have a rink accessible! I no longer do roller derby, but I still skate ALL of the time for recreation.
Thanks again!
hOp

Old 07-24-2011, 09:38 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
My advice about cotton wear was more for extended periods in the rain - if you don't go on long walks, do outdoors sports, or wait for the bus - in other words if you're basically an indoors person - it wouldn't be that important.

Yes, nylon is a good choice for next to skin wear. The jacket should be not just waterproof, but waterproof/breathable like goretex, otherwise you will sweat inside. http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/rainwear.html

Old 07-24-2011, 09:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
A co-worker does roller derby in Everett, showed me the bruises as proof or I wouldn't have expected it of her.

There is Skate King in Bellevue, Bowl & Skate in Lynnwood, and Southgate Roller Rink in Seattle, White Center area.

As it turns out we had a great summer weekend, hit 85 today but already back to 74 now as the sun is going down at 8:45. We're supposed to have clouds tomorrow and rain for a couple of days after that, temps in the 70s.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:05 PM

I am so envious of you guys right now! It is 86 degrees out...at Midnight!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappynessOfPursuit View Post
I am so envious of you guys right now! It is 86 degrees out...at Midnight!
rarely do we get to gloat about the weather here. Currently at 5:20am 58.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area