Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 02:04 PM

570 posts, read 1,340,102 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon! Regarding real estate, it appears you can get a lot more 'bang for your buck' in Maple Valley (as compared to Eastern burbs). Is this due to the more rural feeling of the community and distance of the commute to many locations? Or are there some issues with Maple Valley that I'm not seeing? Any insight you can give is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 02:41 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
... No, there isn't really issues with MV that isn't anywhere else. MV has been growing a lot the last decade. My best friend's mother is starting to complain about the growth; she purposely moved to MV many years ago because she was looking for the rural area-- which MV was and still is for most part. It's not going to remain like that much longer. But it's got great nature access, the schools are great, you have shopping close by (Covington) and it's a great community.

The only real suckitude in RE: MV are the roads out of MV. I have no idea how they're going to expand 169 which it really needs... there isn't really other big scale roads out of/by MV, other than hwy 18 which doesn't go anywhere near Seattle (Snoqualmie on one end, Auburn on the other). You could use Kent-Kangly Rd, Petrovitsky or 240th st to get out, but then you're dealing with and stop and go traffic and 167 which isn't any better.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:48 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Maple Valley is a great place. Just not a quick commute to the area's big employment centers. It's fine if you work in Kent or Renton or even Issaquah, but Seattle or Bellevue? People do it, and commute even further, but it's going to take a while to get home.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Default Thank you

Inkpoe, Ira, thank you both for the good info! MV is definitely staying on my list.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,588 times
It's definitely more of a small town feel but that's okay in my book! As Ira mentioned...long commutes to Seattle/Bellevue and beyond.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:26 PM

486 posts, read 842,596 times
I moved to Maple Valley this year, and I love it! It still has the small town feel, yet is close enough to the Big Box stores of Covington, Auburn, Issaquah & Renton.

As far as commute, I work in Downtown Seattle, and the Sound Transit system works well. You could drive down Hwy 18 to Auburn and ride the Sounder or drive to Tukwila and catch the Sounder or the Central Link.

Commute of 60-75 minutes isn't bad especially when you can sleep or read while someone else is driving!

Old 07-12-2011, 07:44 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxkicker View Post

As far as commute, I work in Downtown Seattle, and the Sound Transit system works well. You could drive down Hwy 18 to Auburn and ride the Sounder or drive to Tukwila and catch the Sounder or the Central Link.
One of my people is in MV and does this, the train always is on time to Seattle (I often have to wait for it to cross Alaskan Way to my office from the parking garage). The ORCA card gets you on it and any bus, and many employers will subsidize all or part of the cost.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:36 PM

Small town feel, but close to Seattle, sounds great to me. And so does the option to take mass transportation, rather than driving the whole way! Thank you all!

Old 07-15-2011, 04:38 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
Small town feel, but close to Seattle, sounds great to me. And so does the option to take mass transportation, rather than driving the whole way! Thank you all!
"Small town feel" in the case of MV means less people density and less developed, not a quaint walkable small town. If working in DT Seattle the Sounder option sounds nice. If working on the east side of Lake Washington, I'd choose the Lake McDonald area (near Maple Hills elementary, in Renton) over nearby MV. I suggest doing Google street view to check it out.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
"Small town feel" in the case of MV means less people density and less developed, not a quaint walkable small town. If working in DT Seattle the Sounder option sounds nice. If working on the east side of Lake Washington, I'd choose the Lake McDonald area (near Maple Hills elementary, in Renton) over nearby MV. I suggest doing Google street view to check it out.
I will check out the Lake McDonald area. Thank you for the suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area