Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 11:47 AM

5 posts, read 12,219 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am relocating to Seattle from Hawai'i for work and considering The Landing area in Renton and the Lakeland Hills area in Auburn for possible places to live. As a single 25 yo, I would have loved to live in downtown but the rental prices are very comparable to Hawai'i. I figure 15-30mins away from the downtown wouldn't be too bad. If you've been to Hawai'i, you know it is very EXPENSIVE here. I will be working out of a home office but primarily out in the field most of the time, so easy access to freeways and the airport would be ideal. The area I will be managing will be the South Seattle area and the bottom half of WA all the way down to vancouver.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the two areas? easy access to freeways? proximity to grocery store? shopping? the demographics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 12:41 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
I think Lakeland Hills is more family oriented than the Landing, as it has a lot more single family houses.
The Landing, in addition to retail and restaurants, has apartments.
Easy access to freeways? The Landing is right near I- 405, maybe a mile to SR 167, maybe two miles to I-5. If there's no traffic, DT Bellevue is a ten minute drive, but 405 headed northbound from Renton in the morning is a nightmare, and even worse headed from Bellevue southbound in the afternoon.
The airport's a quick drive from The Landing...15-20 minutes.
There's no supermarket in The Landing, but DT Renton( a mile or a mile and half away) has a Safeway, a Fred Meyer, a WalMart, and a Uwajimaya Asian supermarket all within five or so minutes.
And the Landing itself has a 14 screen movie theatre, a Thai restaurant, a Five Guys burger joint, a decent pizza place, a good frozen yogurt place.
But best of all is it's proximity to Lake Washington. And Gene Coulon park.
To me, it's a no brainer. Lakeland Hills is nice, but it's a little further out, and more geared for families looking for good schools.
Renton's more fun, it's closer to Seattle and Bellevue, and I think they did a pretty nice job when they developed the Landing.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I agree with Ira, but would emphasise that traffic from Renton as being about the worst in the whole area. You could go up 405 to 90 or the other way to I5 to get to South Seattle but as close as it is, many days at commute times it can take an hour. Hopefully you can work your schedule around the rush hours (which last 3-4 hours).

Old 07-13-2011, 03:06 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,419 times
If you're truly just going to "South Seattle" - it's a quick jaunt up Rainier Avenue from the Landing - no freeways needed. Also, a very nice bike ride.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:08 PM

5 posts, read 12,219 times
Thank you both for your insight! Very very helpful! Because I will be working out of a home office, I can easily work my schedule around rush hour! Thanks again!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:45 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Also, if you're going to DT Seattle, Airport Way is a great surface street alternative to I-5. Slower than I-5, when I-5 is moving, but I-5 experiences a lot of time where it barely moves.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:07 PM

11 posts, read 15,752 times
Landing = close to a waterfront park & Boeing, good access to the bus system if you choose not to drive to work, great shopping, mediocre-to-good dining opportunities, and decent access to both Seattle & Bellevue.

Lakeland = suburbia, car-centric, outstanding schools, poor shopping & dining, and a great deal on single-family homes. Also, the SR 167 commute can be brutal.

As a single 25-yo, I think that the Landing is a no-brainer. You will likely regret a move to Lakeland. Please do explore the seedier neighborhoods in Renton as some of them offer great ethnic dining; although I advise against living in one of these crime ridden area, as I did. The Landing puts you close to the good stuff without the crime problems.

As somebody very familiar with both of these neighborhoods you asked about, I agree with IRA500's post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area