U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,371 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been here in this great city of Seattle since March 2011, have had a job, and then resigned from it about 3 months later. I've been wondering, and some of my friends have as well, if I may be experiencing signs of depression.

If this turns out to be true, how can I treat it? I am looking to see if there are any institutions, programs, or services that will diagnose/treat me for free or cheap. Can anybody help me with this?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 03:27 PM

20,888 posts, read 12,980,499 times
I have to wonder why you are here. Was it the job? You may not have the temperament for this kind of weather. A lot of people don't and I know people who have been here a decade or more that have found the last three years to be particularly dark. Or maybe it just got to them. Some are choosing to leave and that may be the best solution. You could take anti-depressants, you could go to Eastern Washington to see if sunlight makes you feel better, you could try light therapy, but if you have only been here since March and you are already down and depressed and have given up a job when they are so hard to find, the obvious may be that the area is not right for you.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:44 PM

686 posts, read 940,285 times
Try reading this book:
Amazon.com: Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy Revised and Updated (9780380810338): David D. Burns: Books
It can help you identify the negative thoughts that are the root of depression.
It's up to you to replace them with positive thoughts and it does take a lot of practice. Research has shown this type of therapy is as effective as taking drugs but with no side effects and you can do it on your own without expensive doctor visits.
Refraining from alcohol and drugs is a must.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:49 PM

322 posts, read 733,811 times
I want to second that self-treating is something to consider, by reading books such as the one already recommended and otherwise. And, yes, absolutely refrain from any drugs or alcohol.

For what it's worth, you may be naturally feeling the stress of moving somewhere (one of the greatest natural stressers) followed a few months later by leaving your job (another strong natural stresser).

In regards to your original question (place for cheap/free counseling), I have no specific recommendations other than Googling and discovering this, Crisis Clinic (http://www.crisisclinic.org/about2.html - broken link), which looks promising.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:22 PM

3,045 posts, read 2,897,482 times
How's your exercise level? It's free and can work as well as drugs in cases of mild to medium depression.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 AM

9 posts, read 56,039 times
Many people suffer from depression (17% of US population suffer from at least one depressive episode in their life). It can be caused by so many things and can be treated.

First place you should start is your family doctor for several reasons.
a) there may be a physical cause. I was just diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that leaves you feeling tired (and depressed).
b) your seratonin levels may be off and your doctor can prescribe you an anti-depressant to get you back on your feet
c) your doctor's office should have a list of reputable and qualified therapists in your area. Your doctor will be able to point you in the right direction. Most therapists work on a sliding scale.

You will find help and you will feel better. go see your doctor.

Good luck!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:57 AM

19 posts, read 36,640 times
1000 W lamp in a living room, exercise, going out, outdoors, a vacation sometime in February - this all helps a lot

Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 AM

124 posts, read 286,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2001 View Post
Hi, I've been here in this great city of Seattle since March 2011, have had a job, and then resigned from it about 3 months later. I've been wondering, and some of my friends have as well, if I may be experiencing signs of depression.

If this turns out to be true, how can I treat it? I am looking to see if there are any institutions, programs, or services that will diagnose/treat me for free or cheap. Can anybody help me with this?
Some things to keep in mind. Sun lamps and full spectrum lights can cause skin Cancer. Same bad radiation as a tanning bed.
Medications for depression have serious side effects including suicide and violence. Plus they will always fail eventually. What a doctor does is essentially experiment with different variations of meds and different dosages.
But if you do have depression you really want to see a doctor.
You can try adding SAMe or B12 Methiolate ( the other type of B12 is cyanide based) to your diet. Sometimes it is vitamin deficiency that makes us run down. I tend to cut a single tablet in half when starting any new vitamin or med. The recommended dosage isn't for all people and dosages can be increased according to your comfort level.
If you can afford it have a full blood panel run, something that tests for vitamin deficiencies. You really need to test for as many vitamins and minerals as possible. This is the first step the megavitamin therapists run then they build dosages to correct what is lacking.
Keep in mind that sometimes we just feel like **** because we do. That doesn't mean we need to be medicated or take drastic attempts and change our lifestyle. It's just something that passes.
If you can laugh at a joke odds are you are not suffering depression. If you can pick up after yourself odds are you are not suffering serious depression. If you can enjoy times with friends and family odds are you are not suffering serious depression.
People get in ruts and sometimes just a small change makes one feel better.
Anyway start small before seeking professional help. Doctors tend to medicate first then medicate for the side effects caused by the first medication.
Sometimes all it takes is to repaint your rooms in a brighter color.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:42 PM

1,600 posts, read 2,865,475 times
How I treated my depression:
I had 'two' prostate surguries. After the first surgery I fell into a deep depression. A physicitrist gave me all kinds of depression pills and a naturalpath gave me a whole bunch of pills. I even had a Chinese doctor stick all kinds of needles in me. Nothing worked.
We then took a long vacation to Italy. Our first visit was Rome and the Vatican. As I looked up at Michellangelo's great creation in the Sistine Chapel, my depression just vanished. When we got home, I threw away all my medications and cancel all my doctor's appointments, -I was so fired-up, I couldn't wait to get back to work.
My recommendation, if you have depression, get the hell out of Seattle. Visit a place where God dwells and work very hard. Don't sit still, and don't relax to comtemplate.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 PM

214 posts, read 590,177 times
Every thing is relative......if you want to treat your depression move to South Carolina and then come back to Washington. Seriously. I used to think I was depressed in Seattle untill I moved to SC and now I basically wish I was dead. Now in 2 years when I am able to move back to Seattle I dont think I will have anything to be depressed about. I will be cured!

I guess this is the exact opposite of what the person above me said to do but im a pessimist and not religious so there you go lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area