Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:29 AM

218 posts, read 720,913 times

Advertisements

I am planning a quick trip up to Seattle next weekend, I would love to visit the Space Needle ( which is interesting since I am deathly afraid of heights ). I was reading on there website that parking was $15, I think that is ridiculous! Is there any free parking or cheaper alternatives? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Parking in Seattle DT is generally expensive. Even on-street parking, where it can cost up to $4/hr. I think the area around SN is about $1.50/hr... but the caveat is you're limited to only 2 hours, then you'd have to move it off the block and park somewhere else.

You do have the option of using public transit (and park your car at a Park and Ride). Are you staying at a hotel or just coming through town?

Old 08-14-2011, 01:03 AM

I am coming up from the Portland Area, I have not decided if I am going get a hotel for the night or just drive back late, Thanks! The $15 would be more reasonable if it was all day, but its on;y for 4 hours.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:00 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
Go after 6pm and park back in the area around mcdonalds - it's free after 6

Old 08-14-2011, 11:36 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
You also might keep in mind that if you park in one of the three garages operated by the Seattle Center, part of the proceeds go to support their free programs, the well-maintained grounds, and the nice gardens.

The $15 parking fee is variable and could be less depending on what's going on that day so if you're going on a weekend where a major festival or other event is taking place, the fees will be different than when parking during a non-demand period. The fee will cover up to ten hours of parking so you might as well take in other parts of the Seattle Center while you're there. There's more there than just the Space Needle that will be worth spending time to visit.

Here are the three parking garages:

Mercer

1st Avenue N

5th Avenue N

Old 08-15-2011, 12:14 AM

Thanks!! I am definitely am going to explore the area!

Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
If visiting, say, the Columbia Center, Pioneer Square, Pike Place, the Seattle Center area, and maybe even Capitol Hill, would parking in one of the Seattle Center garages be a good idea and then just walking/taking transit around downtown to all of these places? My SO and I are coming up for an overnight stay and hitting some of the touristy things downtown-ish as mentioned, but since we have to check into our motel in Shoreline around 4-6, it kind of complicates things as that's right in rush hour.

Additionally we will be touring UW, renting paddle boats on Green Lake, lounging about some parks (Gas Works, definitely... Kerry? Discovery? Hamilton Viewpoint? The arboretum? Other suggestions?). If we have time we'd like to go to the Museum of History and Industry as well.

So any suggestions on what to do with the car? Less driving, especially around rush hour, would be awesome. We don't mind transit (seasoned veterans of TriMet in Portland) and we do not mind walking a lot. I just am trying to figure how best to arrange things so we can check in at the motel in Shoreline by 6 PM after arriving in Seattle around noon (ask for early check-in maybe?), and then leave for Portland the next night by 9 PM.

It would be nice to Park and Ride, but I'm just not sure how we could manage that because of the motel being in Shoreline, having a time-limited schedule with check-in and check-out and going back home and what not...

Last edited by backdrifter; 08-15-2011 at 12:31 AM..

Old 08-15-2011, 01:59 AM

291 posts, read 688,925 times
There is always lots of available parking spots next to Kiro 7 tv on 3rd Avenue near the Car Toys store and next to Denny Way and Broad Street. After 6pm is free and all day Sunday is free if you park on the street. The parking lots are expensive.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:07 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Or you could just be a baller and use the valet parking.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:23 AM

542 posts, read 1,478,922 times
You can easily find free parking on the street not to far away and walk. I have done it a zillion times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area