Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 12:47 AM

3 posts, read 20,321 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, i found a place in Eastlake that I like and i think I may pull the trigger and move there.

Thing is, i dont know much about the neighborhood. What's it like? I walk a lot... is it safe to walk by myself at night? I'm a mid-twenties guy.

Also, is parking really that much of a hassle? The place I found is on Eastlake Ave.

Any other info you'd like to share... I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 12:24 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,231,797 times
Eastlake is pretty safe. I worked there for years and never had a problem. It is in the city though, so you will see crazy homeless people and drunks wandering around pretty often. The lower rent buildings will most likely have some druggies and loud partying types living there (just like everywhere in Seattle).
Overall, it's a great part of town with a variety of restaurants, bars and coffee shops (but no major grocery stores). The lake views are spectacular and your Eastlake experience is not really complete until you've been out on the lake in a sailboat or kayak.
Parking is a hassle so consider a reserved spot if possible.
Bus service is frequent and a healthy person can easily walk or bike to downtown or the U District, Capitol Hill is a steep climb but also close by.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the input.

I am looking to sign a 6-month lease and test it out. I have only been to Serafina in Eastlake and I liked it a lot, but I really don't know much about the neighborhood.

As long as it's safe, I think I am fine with homeless people here and there. I am trying to find a good mix between being in the city, living in a residential neighborhood, and not being too far from downtown.

Will have to test out walking to Capitol hill and see how that climb is. I'm also looking to get Zone 8 pass for parking to make things easier. Any clue if that is at all useful?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:22 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,231,797 times
You'll definitely want the parking zone pass if you don't have off street parking since the price is probably less than one parking ticket. Even with the pass you will have to hunt for a spot -sometimes a few blocks away.
If you are looking for a safe residential area near downtown it would be hard to beat Eastlake. If you check out more of the small businesses along Eastlake Ave. and elsewhere, you will find a real neighborhood spirit that you don't always find in the larger Seattle neighborhoods. The Zoo Tavern is great for shooting pool with the locals. Pete's Grocery has one of the best wine selections in the city. Good luck, I hope you enjoy Eastlake.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:29 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,234,771 times
The 14 Carrot Cafe has some really good breakfasts...Pazzo Pizza is pretty good, and depending where on Eastlake you are, the South lake Union area is close enough to take advantage of the restaurants and pubs there.
I concur, Eastlake is nice.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:49 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,121,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebballkid View Post
Hey everyone, i found a place in Eastlake that I like and i think I may pull the trigger and move there.

Thing is, i dont know much about the neighborhood. What's it like? I walk a lot... is it safe to walk by myself at night? I'm a mid-twenties guy.

Also, is parking really that much of a hassle? The place I found is on Eastlake Ave.

Any other info you'd like to share... I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!
Nothing wrong with Eastlake. Lots of activity going on there. Get as close to Lake Union as you can. You will have very serious parking problems if you rent a houseboat, however.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
You'll definitely want the parking zone pass if you don't have off street parking since the price is probably less than one parking ticket. Even with the pass you will have to hunt for a spot -sometimes a few blocks away.
If you are looking for a safe residential area near downtown it would be hard to beat Eastlake. If you check out more of the small businesses along Eastlake Ave. and elsewhere, you will find a real neighborhood spirit that you don't always find in the larger Seattle neighborhoods. The Zoo Tavern is great for shooting pool with the locals. Pete's Grocery has one of the best wine selections in the city. Good luck, I hope you enjoy Eastlake.
Thanks! I actually stopped by the Zoo when I was looking at the apartment and when I saw they have a ping pong table I was sold

Old 08-24-2011, 12:03 AM

291 posts, read 686,170 times
Excellent choice! Eastlake might actually be the best neighborhood in Seattle. I really like that neighborhood a lot. Make sure to have dinner at Serafina. I even eat dinner there by myself sometimes and just relax at the bar there. They got great mussels there. There also is a really cool restaurant and bar right behind Serafina. I forget the name of it though. Anyway, you can't go wrong with Eastlake. So good choice.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:55 AM

123 posts, read 244,025 times
Agree, neat neighborhood, particularly for the younger set.
Great commuter location,near the parks and water. Plenty of
good bars and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area