Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,547 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of trying to get my dream job. The company is located in Renton but I have also looked into living in Seattle since it is not that far.

First a bit about me and my situation.

I currently live in the Dominican Republic. Only other place I've lived in is NYC for 18 years and been living in Dominican Republic for the past 8 years. Never been to the Seattle area. I have a wife and a 5 yr old girl. Wife knows some basic english. Kid is a sponge though. However the wife doesn't have her papers yet so if I get the job its going to be a long distance relationship for a while.

I was looking to rent someplace whether it be a house or apartment with 2 bedroom 1 bath...any extras would be nice but not necessary.

Would it be best to get a 2 bedroom now so I can get used to paying the utilties and rent and start decorating the little princess' room or get a hole in the wall, save up all I can and then find a 2 bedroom rental for the family?

Which neighborhoods should I look at and which should I avoid in Seattle and Renton and how is the commute between them?

I would prefer Seattle since I'm used to the city life although if I find the right place at the right price for me and the family in Renton I would take it.

I hope this all makes sense to someone on this board.

If not I'll would be more than glad to expand and open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 03:13 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,245,475 times
You'll definitely get more for your money in Renton and save on gas + wear and tear on your car every day. Traffic is heavy throughout the Seattle metro area with Seattle and Renton being among the more congested places. For the price of a 2 bedroom no frills apartment in a decent Seattle neighborhood you can get a house in Renton with a yard, garage, washer-dryer etc.
Since you asked, I'd recommend getting a small apartment for yourself on a short term or month to month lease. When your wife and daughter move here you can look for a bigger place together as your wife will most likely be happier if she has some input in picking out the family home.
There aren't really any places in Renton that you have to avoid. I'm guessing it will seem pretty tame to you compared to NYC.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,547 times
Thanks for the reply and the information.

Another question came to mind. How are landlords with credit checks? Because I moved before I was legal age to be bombarded with credit cards so my credit score I believe if its over 0 would be a miracle. How hard would it be for me to get an apartment with little to no credit?

Also how is the public transportation in Renton. I would prefer not to waste my money on a car. I have one now and its more trouble than its worth.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:26 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Renton's pretty good for public transit, to get to downtown Seattle, downtown Bellevue, and to the airport. Buses are pretty fast and frequent.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,655 times
Default seattle

Hi, Its been a while since you wrote this. But I have a couple of questions

I am in the Dominican Republic, and my Husband and I will be moving to the USA, on january, or before if he gets a job offer.

I been looking at seattle and it looks like a really nice place. Can you give me your input on how really its?

Jobs and housing situation for example?

I used to live in Massachusetts, and that is where we are going at the beginning, but I am really looking into going to seattle.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnf2007 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of trying to get my dream job. The company is located in Renton but I have also looked into living in Seattle since it is not that far.

First a bit about me and my situation.

I currently live in the Dominican Republic. Only other place I've lived in is NYC for 18 years and been living in Dominican Republic for the past 8 years. Never been to the Seattle area. I have a wife and a 5 yr old girl. Wife knows some basic english. Kid is a sponge though. However the wife doesn't have her papers yet so if I get the job its going to be a long distance relationship for a while.

I was looking to rent someplace whether it be a house or apartment with 2 bedroom 1 bath...any extras would be nice but not necessary.

Would it be best to get a 2 bedroom now so I can get used to paying the utilties and rent and start decorating the little princess' room or get a hole in the wall, save up all I can and then find a 2 bedroom rental for the family?

Which neighborhoods should I look at and which should I avoid in Seattle and Renton and how is the commute between them?

I would prefer Seattle since I'm used to the city life although if I find the right place at the right price for me and the family in Renton I would take it.

I hope this all makes sense to someone on this board.

If not I'll would be more than glad to expand and open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:51 PM

100 posts, read 130,125 times
I'm betting you already took care of everything. I'm not sure how it is credit wise; I'm guessing it depends on the landlord.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 PM

370 posts, read 1,068,272 times
Default Credit Checks

I have had client whose credit that were not good. Some times apartment managers can make exceptions. Your best bet is renting a home and preparing a letter of explanation. Some of the agents I have used to rent to my clients I have been able to have them overlook or rent with a higher deposit. When you are closer renting try to do a free credit report to make sure that nobody has used your name if it is a common name.

Hope this helps and Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnf2007 View Post
Thanks for the reply and the information.

Another question came to mind. How are landlords with credit checks? Because I moved before I was legal age to be bombarded with credit cards so my credit score I believe if its over 0 would be a miracle. How hard would it be for me to get an apartment with little to no credit?

Also how is the public transportation in Renton. I would prefer not to waste my money on a car. I have one now and its more trouble than its worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area