Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:09 AM

203 posts, read 517,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometoGeorgia View Post
Their steady in spots, slightly increasing in others because the housing crisis has tightened up the rental vacancies a bit.

I'd really avoid anything on Broadway itself, there are too many panhandlers and people passed out on sidewalks literally right on your doorstep; unless it doesn't bother you. But you can do far better just 1 or 2 blocks off Broadway and still be in the midst of Washington's most densely populated zip code.
I have read that there are a lot of panhandlers there in that city. I don't really think they would bother me that much, although we don't really have them in the town I live, as long as they weren't crazy. Were you talking of areas to the east or west of Broadway? I looked up the area on a website that shows the walkability of an area and the part I want to live in is all green.

How is the job market in Seattle at the moment? I have heard that it is faring pretty well compared to the rest of the country. I will be trying to get a job on at the City if I could because I have a local government job already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 06:18 AM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
I have a decent 1-bedroom apartment downtown and my girlfriend has a studio on Capitol Hill and we each pay under $800. It can be done. If you don't insist on driving, that is. Seattle is one of the few cities where its easiest to go car-less so you can free up quite a bit of income even after considering the high-ish rents.
I agree. I Spent a month in Seattle last summer, and about a month and a half this summer and I only rented a car when I traveled out of Seattle for short trips. Of course, I did stay in Seattle not the east side and was very accessible to buses and walked alot as well.

In fact, when I did have the rent a car for a few days prior to returning it, I found it to be more of a hassle to park it street side (difficult to find parking) near where I was staying, as well as going to downtown. So even then, I took the bus to downtown instead of taking the rent a car.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:36 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,464 times
A few comments: A simple 'studio' apt. will cost you $1,000 plus per month. There are quite a few book clubs and good used book stores. My favorite is 'Half-Priced-Books' on Capital Hill. Seattle is not safe for a young woman (or any person, man or woman) to be walking around alone at night. Just watch the evening news of the murders and rapes every night.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:20 PM

9 posts, read 17,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HometoGeorgia View Post
OP

-relocations; some people in our own lives or even right here on city would have us believe we are stuck with the state we're born with...NOT TRUE! I'm going on my 4th relocation and excited as can be.

-the freeze; the naysayers believe that it's what we make of it, but I've been here long enough to know it's there, just not as pronounced. Like most southern boys I'm pretty outgoing and never really felt like Seattle was a good fit for me, some people look horrified or even mad when my "good morning" interrupts their cellphone/ipod/laptop time, but it sounds like a perfect match for you.

-books; I'm not sure, I think all the J.A. Jance mysteries take place here if you're into that. And many of Ann Rule's true crime books do as well, but I'm not sure that would be a good idea. I read one and they were too ghoulish even for me, I probably never would have left my house let alone the state had I read it before moving here. But rent the movie Singles or Sleepless in Seattle; movies that were actually filmed on location and not up in Vancouver.

-dating; like any other city, it's all about social networking and online personals, two things that exacerbate the freeze effect. An introverted city will naturally thrive on the net, if you're into any kind of techy gadget whatsoever, you'll succeed in this town. I'm not and to the point I can't stand walking into a cafe in November only to find a room full of people less lively than some funerals I've been to.
Thanks! Where are you relocating too? I'm all up for change and love seeing new places so good for you!

I'm certain a simple "good morning" wouldn't bother me at all. It's when someone approaches me and starts a conversation about something I know nothing about that I feel uncomfortable. It's not that I hate talking to people or anything, because I am a social person around those I know well, but I can be content sitting in silence as well.

I will definitely have to check those books out. I really wish I could find travel stories about Seattle. A book with short stories of people's Seattle experiences or something like that. I don't want a travel guide, but stories about Seattle and I'm having a hard time finding that.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:58 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
A few comments: A simple 'studio' apt. will cost you $1,000 plus per month.
So totally, unabashedly wrong.

I found 384 in Seattle proper on Craigslist under $750.

If you want to see for yourself:
seattle apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Quote:
There are quite a few book clubs and good used book stores. My favorite is 'Half-Priced-Books' on Capital Hill.
Definitely an awesome bookstore.

Quote:
Seattle is not safe for a young woman (or any person, man or woman) to be walking around alone at night. Just watch the evening news of the murders and rapes every night.
The ID isn't, and there are areas around Belltown, Cap Hill, and the UD where people hang out to prey on the drunk and unaware, but it still happens with much less frequency than elsewhere. You can get into danger anywhere, in any city or town, by being stupid. Seattle is plenty safe. Maybe you should watch the local news from other MSA's for a change.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:25 AM

325 posts, read 787,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBeam View Post
I wouldn't mind not having a car, but I do like to go on little trips and I think that would bother me without a car. I suppose I'd survive without though.
I don't think anybody mentioned it this thread, but I would recommend Zipcar. You rent by the hour and it is perfect for somebody in your situation. For just getting around town or going to work, the public transportation system should work for you, but when you want to get out of town - or maybe have a big shopping trip - Zipcar would work for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area