Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 AM

410 posts, read 832,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
Actually, at what 'luxury' level is your preference? The homeless people sleeping under the freeway seem to do quite well with no income. So, you can only move up from their 'entry' level to a point that you prefer.
Well, obviously I don't want to be homeless. My only requirement in an apartment is that it be in a safe neighborhood. I don't care about size or amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 09:48 AM

492 posts, read 1,041,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
I would be making about 31K (currently making 23K). I do have a car payment, though.
I think your best chance of a decent life here would be to share a 2 bedroom apt. (or a house, with more people) in Bothell, which is a nice enough town to live in. You'd have to be frugal otherwise; craigslist and Goodwill make that easier nowadays.

Unless you hate FL, why not buy a condo in Miami? I see plenty of them for less than 2X your income, even 2 bedrooms so you might have a roommate paying the mortgage.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
I think your best chance of a decent life here would be to share a 2 bedroom apt. (or a house, with more people) in Bothell, which is a nice enough town to live in. You'd have to be frugal otherwise; craigslist and Goodwill make that easier nowadays.

Unless you hate FL, why not buy a condo in Miami? I see plenty of them for less than 2X your income, even 2 bedrooms so you might have a roommate paying the mortgage.
I hate Miami with a passion. I am too old for roommies (I am 46).

Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 AM

It could be tough to live in the Seattle area without a roommate, including Bothell and even in a studio, on $31K. Probably not impossible though. I used to make $31K in Seattle with a car payment but rent was $700/mo then and gas was < $2/gallon. I didn't eat out much.

I'll throw this out there: how about Milwaukee? Condos are Miami-level cheap there, and it has cold weather, lots of greenery, lots of water, etc. They have a market there based on Seattle's Pike Place. I keep reading that locals call the city underrated. Colder winters but probably sunnier than Seattle's. (Seattle may look good on paper but the mostly overcast skies for 8-9 months a year can be very tough to endure, even for the natives.)

Old 09-08-2011, 11:48 AM

507 posts, read 1,668,798 times
Quote:
Thanks - pretty cool site. But if it's accurate, I probably won't be able to live there, even with a salary increase. It seems to have everything I love - cold weather, lots of greenery, water, etc...
Based on my experience when moving here from London the site is pretty accurate.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
It could be tough to live in the Seattle area without a roommate, including Bothell and even in a studio, on $31K. Probably not impossible though. I used to make $31K in Seattle with a car payment but rent was $700/mo then and gas was < $2/gallon. I didn't eat out much.

I'll throw this out there: how about Milwaukee? Condos are Miami-level cheap there, and it has cold weather, lots of greenery, lots of water, etc. They have a market there based on Seattle's Pike Place. I keep reading that locals call the city underrated. Colder winters but probably sunnier than Seattle's. (Seattle may look good on paper but the mostly overcast skies for 8-9 months a year can be very tough to endure, even for the natives.)
I actually love WI. But when I looked at Milwaukee rentals, I found them higher than I expected. I am surprise to hear you can get condo there for a Miami price....hmmm....food for thought. The downside would be that I have no friends there (unlike Seattle).

Old 09-08-2011, 08:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
If you have friends in Seattle then stay with one for a while until you can find a place you can afford, and scout the bus/train for transportation. The suburbs can be higher than Seattle, but if you get far enough out (like Bothell, Mill Creek, or Auburn to the south) it gets a lot cheaper. I have an employee living down toward Auburn that commutes to Seattle by bus and train, and our company subsidizes the pass.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:32 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,324 times
Don't be afraid to live in the 'burbs seriously; working in Seattle and living in Tacoma (or beyond?) isn't bad at all with the way they have transit setup. Infact I live in seattle near the university district and, it takes roughly the same amount of time for me to get into the downtown area as it does to get from tacoma to seattle (around an hour rush hour). The seattle metro buses in my opinion have WAY to many stops per bus which makes it take that much longer. Conversly you can get on the sounder train north or south and have a smooth ride to your destination. It's about $4.50 if you do the max distance but it's great because the people on board are usually well manicured professionals who can afford such luxurious transportation

good luck

Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I actually love WI. But when I looked at Milwaukee rentals, I found them higher than I expected. I am surprise to hear you can get condo there for a Miami price....hmmm....food for thought. The downside would be that I have no friends there (unlike Seattle).
I see Milwaukee condos on Trulia for < $25K, even $15K. (These would be 10 times the amount in Seattle.) Lake Michigan looks like the ocean; nothing in Seattle beats that. Too bad about no friends there, although I bet people there are little easier to get to know.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
There's a reason for that. The average salary in Milwaukee is about $17/hour, in Seattle it's over $26. That's a difference of over $1400/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area