Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 04:11 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,987 times

Advertisements

Our property taxes here are actually slightly less than our house in TX, but our house here is valued at more than twice that of our TX house. Insurance is less here as well on cars and on the home, and that includes what we pay for earthquake. Basically we have found the cost of the home and cost of eating out are much more in WA but everything else is the same or less. North Bend can certainly get weather but if you have AWD, you'll be fine. Most of it is rain and wind out there, though it can snow a few times a year to where you might not make it in to work first thing in the morning. Another option is to drive to the Issaquah Park N Ride and take an Express Bus in to DT. I like both North Bend and Maple Valley a lot. NB cannot be beat for scenery. One of the prettiest mtn towns in WA IMO. Schools in MV may edge out schools in NB though. Not sure on that.

We love living here. Love the green, the mountains and the outdoors so we feel very at home here rain or shine. We have the right gear so rain doesn't stop us. We ski, boat, sail, kayak, hike, cycle, etc. It's heavenly for us. My husband is a Cali Boy though and we met in CO so the natural environment here is something we can agree on! We lived most of our TX time in Austin (almost 10 years) and hiked every trail 20x in the area. We have been here 4 years and a few trails we have hiked more than once, but only because we love them. So definitely better for the outdoorsy type compared to TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 07:29 PM

18 posts, read 64,474 times
Doesn't sound like the property taxes are all that much higher than here than, I thought they would be pretty high. There are properties in some of the areas down here that have property taxes of over $7000 on a $250,000 house, just depends on the area and the school district involved. Well that is a pleasant surprise, and I hadn't realized until today that Washington doesn't have an income tax, so that is another relief.

As we are originally from Wyoming, we have always owned 4x4's so we are prepared for and experienced with snow! The outdoor activities sound wonderful, I have missed the mountains the last several years! As much as I love Texas, their state parks and public land just aren't the same. It seems like you pay out the nose down here any time you want to go experience the outdoors, and then you need to wait until fall as it is just too hot in the summer to do much hiking. We have dirt bikes and like to do some trail riding when we get a chance, but their just isn't many places down here that you can go ride without paying a whole lot just to get onto a trail. We enjoyed going riding in the mountains in Wyoming and spending the whole day out there and not having to worry about when the park closes, how much it is going to cost us, so on and so forth! So yeah, I am pretty excited about the opportunity for outdoor fun!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:55 PM

You will be really excited to hear about the Duthie Hill Mtn Biking park in Sammamish then. It's awesome and they are building another in Issaquah!

Outdoors | Mountain bikers build a thrilling new Eastside bike park | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 09-22-2011, 09:33 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
You will be really excited to hear about the Duthie Hill Mtn Biking park in Sammamish then. It's awesome and they are building another in Issaquah!
I believe the OP is referring to motorcycles - not mountain bikes. Two groups that normally don't get along real well.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 AM

Well, I happen to like both, but yes I was talking about motorcycles in particular. Our kids have been wanting to get into racing, but we prefer the cross country type racing over the mx stuff. I didn't think about whether people in Washington are against riding on trails or not, in Wyoming they are pretty excepting. We have lots of friends and family that enjoy going out for trail rides and exploring the country and racing is huge here in Texas.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:13 AM

Oh sorry I do think out near Cle Elum there is some dirt bike racing but I am not sure it's on trails.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Does anyone have any input on Auburn or Marysville?

Old 09-24-2011, 03:01 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Stay away from Marysville.

Auburn can be nice... got its own Sounder Train Station, easy access to i5, 2 malls/shopping areas-- but still retaining its rural qualities. The Lakelands area is really nice and has the better schools of the district.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:17 PM

23 posts, read 48,595 times
Default Thanks for your encouragement Ira!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I was thinking Maple Valley too. Family friendly, good schools, lots of places with at least 1/2 an acre.
Wallingford is a neighborhood within the city of Seattle. Nice place, but not at all what you're looking for, unless you've changed your mind and now want a 4000 sq ft lot.
Parts of Bothell would fit the bill. Woodinville is awfully nice, though a lot more expensive than Maple Valley. Not far from Woodinville are Duvall and Carnation, and a bit north is the town of Snohomish, which is a much older town than other places nearby and has a cool old downtown.
Ira - just wanted to say "Thank you" for all your positive comments about Maple Valley. I was getting really desperate today looking for locations. Both my daughter and son-in-law are interviewing with Boeing and my husband and I are going to be moving as well. I really was beginning to believe what we wanted wasn't going to be possible financially. Everything you're saying about the town, the school's; the small town feel are exactly what we are looking for. Thank you for keeping the dream alive!

Lori

Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NV2TN2AL View Post
Ira - just wanted to say "Thank you" for all your positive comments about Maple Valley. I was getting really desperate today looking for locations. Both my daughter and son-in-law are interviewing with Boeing and my husband and I are going to be moving as well. I really was beginning to believe what we wanted wasn't going to be possible financially. Everything you're saying about the town, the school's; the small town feel are exactly what we are looking for. Thank you for keeping the dream alive!

Lori
No place is perfect and neither is Maple Valley. There is no real downtown. The town has grown a lot but they haven't really added lanes of traffic, so traffic can get bad. But it is a friendly, relatively affordable place with good schools, great places to walk, and plenty of shopping and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area