Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:29 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,528 times

Advertisements

Walking to lunch yesterday, I was confronted by no less than 9 panhandlers. Yes, I know not all panhandlers are homeless, but you can tell these guys were (carrying huge backpacks of what looks like their life's work) Its a wonder why any tourist would want to come to downtown Seattle.

/rant

Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
I find very wealthy people to be more annoying than homeless folks, but that's just me.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:42 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,133,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I find very wealthy people to be more annoying than homeless folks, but that's just me.
Ha, ha, I think I rather agree with you on that one. I volinteer at our churches homeless shelter that helps feed the homeless under the I-5 freeway. These folks are friendlier then the .com snobs in my neiborhood and definatly have a more interesting life's story.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post

thanks for hijacking my thread.

and if you are a RE agent as your title says, then you probably haven't been accosted by panhandlers downtown.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:37 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post

and if you are a RE agent as your title says, then you probably haven't been accosted by panhandlers downtown.
1. How did I hijack your thread? What would not be hijacking your thread, people completely agreeing with you? I said one line. You're right. Homeless people are annoying. They should all be shot.

2.This is a public forum. You started a thread. Does that make it "yours"? I wasn't judging you, saying you were wrong, or saying you weren't entitled to your opinion. You weren't asking any particular question. What responses were you looking for?

3. I haven't always been a RE agent, and why would I put that down as my title if I weren't? I worked public transit in Seattle for 23 years in downtown Seattle/Pioneer Square/International District. Not only have I been accosted by panhandlers/homeless folks downtown, I've had them harass me while operating a streetcar. I've had to call the police on them. I've been threatened by crazy homeless people. But I see them as human beings. And I don't think very many of them prefer to stay homeless.
Yet I'm still more annoyed by the very wealthy.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:22 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,772,677 times
Bums are way more annoying than hobos or wealthy people. If there has to be homeless around here, I'd rather they be hobos than bums.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:33 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post

People are not allowed to have opinions different from yours?

For the record, I agree with Ira...

Old 09-30-2011, 01:57 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,385 times
Agree with Ira too. On average, the super rich person is far more annoying than the homeless person, and I don't mean because he/she has more money than me. I do not envy wealth.

I have made a few homeless friends since moving to Seattle just because I work from libraries and other unusual places. A lot of them refuse to spend time applying for jobs (mental hangups/unconfidence more than laziness in many cases), have a hard time remaining clean and not smelling etc... but beyond that (and the occassional overly exuberant panhandler), they are rarely annoying to me. In contrast, some of my richer acquaintances and relatives are pricks. They like to flaunt their wealth, ignore the opinions of poorer people in conversations, look down on those hard on their luck, look down on those who respect the environment and I could go on forever. One multimillionaire I know does not know how to change his light bulb (I am not kidding) and made his money from inheritance selling cell phones when they were just starting to sell. He thinks he is the best there is amongst all of humanity in this world:-) Boy would I love if he went bankrupt and he had to try and survive on the street. He did lose a ton of money in the real estate crash and the dot come crash in 2000, but he is still well off:-(

Old 09-30-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
People are not allowed to have opinions different from yours?

For the record, I agree with Ira...
Thread Jacking

Taking over a thread on a message board by taking a part of the original posted topic, twisting it around and "hijacking" the thread itself. What happens is that the original content contained in the post becomes moot and whatever the "Thread Jacker" has manipulated the content to be becomes the new content thereby "hijacking" the original intent of post. People now respond to the "thread jacker's" input and the that becomes the focus of the tread.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:20 PM

since we changed the subject,

I hate self righteous opinionated Seattlites who think anything to do with wealth or the pursuit of a better life to be evil....friggin annoying.

my .02.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area