Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 12:30 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyliu87 View Post
Hi everyone,

I just moved here from Wisconsin about 2 months ago, so I haven't seen what winter weather is like here in Seattle. I usually walk to work in SLU from Belltown (a little less than a mile), and I've only walked through one rainy day. One thing I noticed when I walked through the rain was that my pants were soaked. I have a water resistant jacket, and I layer so my upper body is fine, but my lower body gets wet.

So my question is, what do you do to keep your pants dry?

Thanks!
Like I said, ware shorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 05:49 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
I live in Boise now, but I grew up in Federal Way. Get a waterproof jacket or parka that's sized big enough to fit over several layers of clothes. For most weather, you'll be fine wearing shirt-sweater-jacket. For wet pants, buy a set of waterproof pants to go over your regular pants.

Seattle's winters are usually fairly mild, but there are occasional cold snaps so get at least one heavy winter coat. That way you'll be set if you decide to visit the colder areas of the state during the winter.

Just make sure your outer shell is waterproof. Avoid 'water resistant' jackets or jackets with waterproofing that relies solely on a coated surface. Coatings wear off, and you can get the same effect spraying a jacket with Camp Dry. Gore-tex or its house brand equivalents are the best. The material is sprayed with water repellant, and there's a waterproof membrane that allows water vapor to escape underneath. The seams are taped. They will keep you dry in the worst downpour and won't make you damp from your own perspiration.

It might be worthwhile to take a trip down to Lacey and visit Cabela's. They have a LOT of waterproof clothing and their prices are decent. Especially when you catch stuff on sale. There is a Cabela's here in Boise (I can't go in there too often or I come out with no money) and their Guidewear Gore-tex parka is the best jacket I've ever owned. I bought it on clearance for $80. They also sell waterproof bibs and pants.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:49 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Lined rain coat with a hood: High priority. Doesn't need to be Gore-tex unless you're going to be doing a lot of camping or hiking in the rainy season. You'll start accumulating these: I have 3 so far. Make sure it's breathable: stay away from PVC.

Fleece: High priority. Stock up. Also, make sure to start buying warmer sweaters (actual sweaters, not thin cotton cardigans).

Hat and gloves for colder weather. High priority. Cheap way to stay warm in Dec-Jan.

Sturdy shoes: Find ones that are mostly waterproof with good traction. Lots of rain makes for slippery cobblestone sidewalks. I like Keens but there are a lot of Keen clones that give you pretty good protection. Smartwool socks or boot socks get me through the colder months.

Snow jacket: Low priority. I have a parka from when I lived on the East Coast. I use it every Christmas when I go back to the East Coast. Otherwise, it stays in my closet. If I skied here, I'd use it more often. You'll probably end up with one eventually, but focus on the rain gear first.

Snow boots: Low priority. Most people wear boots for fashion, not functionality. You'll need snow boots if you go snowshoeing or winter hiking. Otherwise, they are unnecessary.

Rain pants: Not really. Wet pant cuffs are not the end of the world: pants dry in an hour or so. If you're walking a mile to work or waiting for the bus all the time, I'd say that you are certainly allowed to use an umbrella! Don't listen to the "natives", they're full of it.

If you find that you're still freezing, I'd add in some silk long underwear. Once (if?) you acclimate, you won't have to pull it out as often.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:01 PM

304 posts, read 850,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
You got the umbrella bit right. Real Seattlite's don't carry umbrellas. It's only the 'sissy' tourist's that do. Of course, living near Broadway, I see people coming out in the middle of winter with their shorts on, so I would say we are pretty 'macho' when it comes to weather. This means, to be a REAL Seattlite, forget a winter wardrobe, just come as you are, rain or shine. However, if you like to ski, then you might want to add to your wardrobe.
I think it is asking too much to advise a Floridian to wear his shorts in Seattle during winter. Remember that arctic blast we had last November? I think the folks here sometimes suffer from collective amnesia about how cold it can get on occasion. Temps dropped to the teens that week. I've seen a few people in summer clothes up until November. I admit that I went about town in my sleeveless shirts sans jacket when the temps reached 60 last spring.

He will get used to the weather but the first winter he is here I think he will definitely need to layer (of course) and bring his warmest coats as though he were going skiing in Tahoe (yes, Tahoe, not the north pole. You don't need a parka in Tahoe but you do need a coat with fill or warm lining in it) because that's probably how cold it is going to feel for any warm climate transplant their first winter in the PNW.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:08 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,297,481 times
buy an umbrella.....seriously. I have noticed that not many people in Seattle use umbrellas.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:18 PM

304 posts, read 850,667 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Drive. No, really. Otherwise you just have to tuck your pants into your boots and deal with it. You will get used to a little dampness after a while. In a hard rain a large umbrella is absolutely called for. Certain fabrics and knits dry faster than others so you might want to keep that in mind next time you shop for clothes.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:40 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,169,865 times
I have a pair of "Mud Ducks" - a waterproof type of rubbery slip-on shoe made by Boggs, maker of Boggs boots. I think that model isn't made now, but I'm sure there's a replacement style. I live in the woods and walk on the trails back there a lot all year round, so I bought them for winter walking when it's wet and muddy. I can hose them off if I need to. They're lined and sort of stretchy, so they're extremely comfortable. Well, I liked them so much I actually just started wearing them as my winter shoes much of the time, even for running errands and shopping in wet weather. Boggs also make mid-calf and knee-high boots (they sell them on Zappos). If my feet are dry, I don't care so much if my pants are a little damp.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:57 PM

507 posts, read 1,668,462 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I just moved here from Wisconsin about 2 months ago, so I haven't seen what winter weather is like here in Seattle. I usually walk to work in SLU from Belltown (a little less than a mile), and I've only walked through one rainy day. One thing I noticed when I walked through the rain was that my pants were soaked. I have a water resistant jacket, and I layer so my upper body is fine, but my lower body gets wet.

Thanks!
That's where I find an umbrella very useful...but apaprently that makes me a 'sissy tourist'. Only other option is waterproof trousers which usually aren't too fashionable. You might want to carry your jeans in a backpack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area