Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,712 times

Advertisements

Hi, any former SF Area residents that can weigh in on Seattle area vs. Bay Area (particularly the East Bay)? Husband and I are considering a move up north, but we don't know the area at all & would really love to hear your opinions, especially if you've made the move yourself before. Any comparisons you could draw between cities in the Bay Area and the Seattle area to give me a general idea of what it's like there would be GREATLY appreciated (for example: ____ is similar to Oakland in that it is close to the city but has high crime or ____ is similar to Walnut Creek in that it is an upscale area with lots of shopping, etc.) But really any info at all would help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,096 posts, read 80,136,113 times
I grew up in Lafayette, later worked in Oakland and lived in Castro Valley. The eastside is much like the east bay not counting Oakland. I have yet to see anything like Oakland here. Weather aside I would say Bellevue is closest to WC but has more big office buildings. Mercer Island is most like Orinda, and Medina like an older and smaller Blackhawk but with no nearby business.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:21 PM

12 posts, read 41,423 times
Where are you coming from in the East Bay?

My wife and I are moving up to Seattle next month from here in Oakland. We're from the northwest and have been up several times to the area visiting and on scouting trips so we are slowly developing a sense of the area. I'll give you my two cents...

As the previous person noted, nothing in the area is really similar to Oakland: (ie. crime, diversity, weather, etc...). The nice part is really most anywhere within Seattle proper will look livable. If I was going to peg any one area that has that Oaklandish flavor, possibly Columbia City. But, even if you slapped down a few palm trees it's a stretch.

If you take sections of North Oakland, Berkeley, Albany and San Leandro you could say it feels like parts of Ballard, Fremont, Greenlake, Maple Leaf, Bryant, Ravena, UDistrict. Hell even parts of Lake City. West Seattle also shares some of that feel too. That "feel" being cottages on grid with clusters of neighborhood retail.

Once you go north of 85th in the city it gets a little funky. Sidewalks go away, the streets dead end randomly, abnormally large lots mixed in some density...kinda like Castro Valley

Grand Lake in Oakland one could say is like a mash up of Capitol Hill and South Lake Union. Belltown could be matched up with Jack London Square. I'm probably opening a can or worms even making these comparisons.

As mentioned before, Orinda, Lafayatte and Danville (Samamish) and WC (Bellevue). If you go a bit further, Issaquah kinda reminds me of a wet and green version of Livermore or Pleasanton.

Ultimately our take was Seattle felt very comfortable coming from the East Bay. It moves a touch slower, the cost of living is touch less, violent crime is low, access to recreation is good and people are generally easy going. What's not to like? Maybe the weather, but if that's the worst of it....

Old 10-08-2011, 01:07 AM

304 posts, read 848,226 times
There is no Oakland type environment in the Seattle area. The wannabe thugs from Auburn and Kent would get chewed up and spat out on 84th and International.

Seattle is like SF but the buildings in Seattle are more frontier/colonial looking, there are more craftsman houses and no bay windows or painted ladies, there is more space and not as much density, there is more rain and not as much sun, there are more incredible natural vistas and not as many manmade wonders.

Mercer Island is like Alameda meets Tiburon: small, casual, beautiful and somewhat exclusive.

Bellevue is most like Walnut Creek meets Orinda with newer, glassier construction in its downtown core. Like Walnut Creek you get the feeling that it wants to be the posh, pro-business destination in the east. Like Orinda there is some expensive real estate in Bellevue and quite a bit of woods left.

Bainbridge Island is like San Luis Obispo but with an older demographic and more manicured yards. Both cities have a relaxed, vacation town feeling.

Tacoma is the most like Oakland. No city has Oakland's kind of crime and Tacoma doesn't even come close but both cities have blue color roots. Tacoma is in Seattle's shadow like Oakland is in SF's shadow.

Renton is like Dublin, more affordable, less developed and out of the way from everything.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:13 AM

65 posts, read 136,576 times
My family is from Oakland so I'm somewhat familiar, and have always noticed Seattle versions of Bay Area places, but they aren't arranged the same way:
Oakland = Tacoma
San Jose = Bellevue
Sausalito = Bainbridge
Vallejo = Bremerton
Concord = Renton
Walnut Creek = Edmonds
Pittsburg = Kent
Antioch = Auburn

Hope this helps.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:21 AM

304 posts, read 848,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin98103 View Post
My family is from Oakland so I'm somewhat familiar, and have always noticed Seattle versions of Bay Area places, but they aren't arranged the same way:
Oakland = Tacoma
San Jose = Bellevue
Sausalito = Bainbridge
Vallejo = Bremerton
Concord = Renton
Walnut Creek = Edmonds
Pittsburg = Kent
Antioch = Auburn

Hope this helps.
Bremerton doesn't have anywhere near the level of crime that Vallejo now has. Bellevue is much, much smaller than San Jose but I think otherwise it's an accurate comparison. Your Pittsburg and Antioch comparisons are right on the money.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:47 AM

65 posts, read 136,576 times
Yeah it's not an exact science ;-) but have you been to Bremerton at night? True not as crime scary, but definitely as mullet scary. San Jose is bigger but remember these are Seattle versions. I say Bellevue because it is the hub of that area, in the same way that San Jose is.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:07 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,776,012 times
What do you guys think of

Vallejo = Everett?

Old 10-08-2011, 01:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,096 posts, read 80,136,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
What do you guys think of

Vallejo = Everett?
Pretty close comparison, though I would say that with Boeing providing a lot of jobs in Everett, it's better off than Vallejo.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:12 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,313,882 times
After having been to the Bay area a few dozen times I will echo the above sentiments BUT will say that there's a different culture and feel to the Seattle area. Much less violent crime. Similar levels of petty theft. Less liberal or conservative activist. Less polarized.

And IMVHO, a better place to raise a family here in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area