Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:23 PM

7 posts, read 13,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckNFlorida View Post
Thanks peeps! I actually was looking at the Georgetown area. There is a very good art school called the Georgetown Atelier that I was looking at enrolling in. Also, another great local artist, Patrick Howe, has a studio/gallery near there and he runs a painting group.

I am originally from SoCal and I miss the Pacific so much. FL is just NOT for me. I am going to save my money and go for it!
I think that you, me and Mrman78 should all move and share a townhouse or something! I've been wanting to live in Seattle for the last 8 years and just got back today from a 3 day stay there. I want to finish Interior Design school and need to do some more research on the schools in the area, but I know I'm going to need roommates! Let me know if you end up taking the plunge...my lease ends in February!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:16 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Looks like Georgetown is near Boeing Field - I suppose there must be quite a lot of noise from the planes.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Looks like Georgetown is near Boeing Field - I suppose there must be quite a lot of noise from the planes.
It's mostly small planes, or at least that part of Georgetown near Boeing Field.
It's not a quiet neighborhood, it's still somewhat industrial, but it's not mostly airplane noise.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:30 PM

34 posts, read 62,032 times
Well you wouldn't necessarily have to live in Georgetown. Just near it I suppose. I am more concerned about a job. I hope the public transportation is good too since as of right now I don't drive.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:35 PM

@ FemTex23 - Haha! Yeah definitely something to think about. I am supposed to be studying an interior decorating correspondence course I paid a couple of G's for. But, when the economy really tanked here in FL I decided to hold off since I wasn't sure if it would be worth my while. A lot of people in the construction and design industry lost their jobs here. Hopefully it's not like that in other states though. I could continue with it just for my own satisfaction and creativity though. It was a lot of fun!

Old 10-18-2011, 01:14 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckNFlorida View Post
Well you wouldn't necessarily have to live in Georgetown. Just near it I suppose. I am more concerned about a job. I hope the public transportation is good too since as of right now I don't drive.
There are plenty of jobs as long as you haven't spent the last few years homeless and jobless.

Settle metro runs a lot of buses through that area. Generally speaking Metro is good through most of Seattle though it can be a bit sparse late at night. Once you have a job and a definite commute, you can save money by getting an Orca magnetic card and filling it with tickets or a pass.

If you need a private car sometimes, you can get on a Zip Car plan. Reasonable rates.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:37 PM

@ Woof - Good to know! Thanks!

Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 AM

78 posts, read 410,085 times
Hey, StuckNFlorida! Good luck to you - I have a great opportunity for a job in Seattle but I can't quite convince myself to move all the way across the country to live in an area I am not at all familiar with. The area looks really nice, but the weather is the part that concerns me. Since I am used to the sun and warmth of Florida (like you), I don't know how I would deal with the constant clouds and cool weather. You may want to consider how that would affect you. I used to think I could handle any climate, but I lived in upstate NY (which is similar to Seattle when it comes to cloud cover) for a year and it was really kind of a bummer because every weekend was cloudy and dreary. But if you are committed to living in that type of climate and are happy otherwise, then you should make the leap. If you wait until everything is perfect, you may be waiting a long time. As another person said, you probably won't be able to get a full-time artist job but you can get a decent admin job and do the art as a hobby until you get settled and are "discovered"! Follow your heart tempered with a little bit of practicality.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:07 AM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Yeah, weather can be a major factor for some people. For me, Seattle has most of the positives I'm looking for, so the few negatives there are (weather) is just something I feel I need to put up with. Although, I'm originally from England, so pretty much used to it!

On another note, just found out UW has a certificate program in my field that runs evenings October-July so I think I'm going to enroll in that while I'm looking for a job so at least potential employers cant say I'm stale or something if I've been out of work a few months. Also, i can continue it even if i find a job since its evenings. Thinking I'll bump my move from March to June though since then I have only 3 months before the program starts and that'll be the only time I'll not be doing anything (other than looking for a job!) but can enjoy the Seattle Summer too! Also, I'd rather drive up there when there is less snow in the mountains.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks JSGOOFN!

Yeah, I am a little unsure about the weather not that you mention it... I do need good natural light for painting... I love cool/cold weather, but I am NOT a fan of humidity/dampness... So, I will see once I have enough money saved up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: