Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 06:44 PM

7 posts, read 11,362 times

Advertisements

Background:

20- some year old couple moving from San Diego to either Dallas or Seattle. We both grew up in Chicago. We love seasons, we love outdoor activities (like cave diving and hiking), and we both are in college still.
He is majoring in IT, I am pre-med.

*Cost of living!? Can I get some examples of prices there?

*Does it rain all day everyday? My boyfriend insist that it does. I know it rains alot but how much how often?

*Will we find a community college in the downtown area that collaborates with one of the local universities?

*Are there activities that we can do outdoors? Any caves/ mines / hikes?

*Can you live in Dallas without a vehicle? We share one, and it would be beneficial to be able to move about the city by public trans/biking/walking.

*Is the city sprawled out?

*How is the unemployment rate? Will jobs be hard to find or alright?

*We have a dog. Shes 18 lbs, Boston Terrier, adult female. Will we have a hard time finding a place?

*Also, we hate stacked tiny apartments. Are we going to be able to find something that is larger than 650 sq ft or maybe a house by a school?

Thanks everyone for your help in picking out the city for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
The cost of living is high but probably still lower than most of CA. Gas is now $3.89, and I find produce higher than CA but most other things a bit less than the Bay Area where we came from. There's plenty of hiking and other activities, especially boating. Caves and mines are not plentiful right here but there are some a couple hours away. The job situation is a lot better here than most places, especially high tech. There are dog-friendly places to rent but there will be an additional deposit. Seattle Central Community College is right near downtown but really the best would be Bellevue College on the eastside. As for apartments, affordable and safe in Seattle means tiny. Figure
at least $1,500 for a small, old house in a halfway decent neighborhood, away from downtown in the more suburban ares. There is decent bus/rail service in Seattle and many of my co-workers use their cars only on weekends or don't have one.

I saved the rain for last. No, it doesn't rain every day, though there is a chance of rain 9-10 months of the year. Unlike CA rain it's mostly a light mist that doesn't stop you from outdoor activities. Except for (usually) July and August, if it's not raining it's still overcast, and we do get 2-4 light snows a year. We do have 4 seasons, but 3-1/2 of them are wet. We did once have 33 days straight of rain but that was unusual.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 PM

Thank you for the information. I am really looking forward to being there. We are really interested in living in a house, but we weren't sure if we could do that and still be able to get to one of the community colleges.
Do you know any information on if there are any med schools there? Or anyone else?
Thank you!

Old 10-20-2011, 02:37 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bapchess View Post
Do you know any information on if there are any med schools there?
Thank you!
Seriously? A simple research would've given you that answer. Its not like it's an obscure school. Our medical school been ranked number #1 NATIONALLY in several areas of study.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:32 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Seriously? A simple research would've given you that answer. Its not like it's an obscure school. Our medical school been ranked number #1 NATIONALLY in several areas of study.
It's called the University of Washington School of Medicine.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:08 PM

29 posts, read 82,946 times
Having lived in both the Seattle area and being from Texas, and based on your questions and criteria, I would choose the Seattle area.

And here is why; from your questions, it sound like you are outdoors-type people. And coming from mild San Diego, you might enjoy the Pacific Northwest weather better than Texas. Though a wonderful state, it does get very hot. Dallas had over 40 straight days of over 100 degrees this past Summer. In addition, Texas is currently in one of its worst droughts in history - including the Dallas area.

As to rain in Seattle, as another commenter mentioned, it is more of a light misty rain (usually from mid-November to February or March) but one can still hike, bike or do outside activities. Additionally, there tend to be more "seasons" in the Pacific Northwest than in Texas.

As to the cost of living, it is (overall) cheaper in Texas. And the unemployment rate in Dallas is less than in Seattle, though not by much. And lastly, depending on where one lives, a car is a necessary evil in almost any town, including Seattle or Dallas. Though if one lives in a downtown area or smaller community where one can work and live, than a car may not be necessary.

Hope these comments have assisted you in your decision!

Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
It's called the University of Washington School of Medicine.
A very difficult school of medicine to be accepted to also. Just because it's in the area doesn't mean you get to go there.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:14 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses. I guess I should have clarified what I meant about med schools in Seattle....in my OP I had asked if any of the universities worked with community colleges (for dual enrollment to pay less for typical classes). I am wondering if any one has ever done that and if the classes are still accepted at the med schools there. To be frank, I do not intend on getting into "the top ranked med school in the nation" because I would never be able to afford it or keep up with all the other smarties. lol. Thank you though!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,773,186 times
All of the in-state community college courses that are annotated with an "&" symbol are transferable to other state universities.

You can take the Intro Biology and Chemistry (General and Orgo) sequences, Micro and the Anatomy sequence at Seattle Central CC, South Seattle CC, North Seattle CC, Bellevue College, etc and it will transfer easily. But you can't take anything over 200 level classes at the community colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area