Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 PM

653 posts, read 1,785,845 times

Advertisements

I finally did it! Reservations have been made, I fly out on 10/29 and stay until the next Friday. There is so much I want to do but only 5 full days to do it. Tops on my list.. visit the Space Needle, Discovery Park, scenic areas around Seattle to photograph. Port Townsend is a must stop as is Poulsbo. I'm hoping to take in the drive around the Olympic Peninsula and spend the night in Long Beach or Ocean Shores. I really want to visit Mount Rainier but as much as I want to go there, anything with salt water nearby takes priority.

So any ideas what I can do? I'm really into photography, so finding those spots to get that perfect pic is a must. I love the outdoors, so what parks would you recommend? where is the best place to see marine life, especially seals?? I'm a real gourmet food lover, any places you can recommend on a moderate budget (under 50 dollars per person, wine included)?? A good place to enjoy some music is on my list as well (I love KMTT The Mountain and KEXP)).. and a place to mingle with the locals.

I'm trying to get a feel for the Seattle area for a move in a year or two, hence another reason for coming out. This will be my first time back to Seattle since around 1999. I'm counting down the seconds! Thanks for whatever advice you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Bring a big umbrella to protect your camera, that's the problem with your timing.

When headed up or back from the Olympic Penninsula, I highly recommend the Dockside Grill at the John Wayne Marine, off 101 just before Sequim.
Amazing Crab cakes and service that you can't find much any more. Last time we ate there it was about $80 plus tip for my wife and I.

Dockside Grill on Sequim Bay - Home

If you make it to Hurricane Ridge, the burgers and fries downstairs at the visitor center are strangely good. Not gourmet, by any means.

Down by the waterfront you can get some good pics of the Bay and working port from Pier 70. Just walk along the side to the end. There is city metered parking along Alaskan Way.

One of the best photo ops is Snoqualmie Falls on the eastside, about 40 minutes east of Seattle off of I90.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:15 PM

526 posts, read 898,488 times
see if the gondola at Crystal Mountain is open when you're here (closes for a period in fall).

Quick trip to San Juans...check out Kenmore Air...there's tour bus on San Juan that will take you around the island...Roche Harbor, etc.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Drive up Chuckanut Drive from just past Mount Vernon to almost Bellingham. It's curvy, hugs the water, and the mountains are right there. Pretty spectacular. There's an awesome restaurant on that road, right on the water, with insanely good food but not insanely high prices called The Oyster Creek Inn.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:34 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,132,464 times
Seattle area isn't that big so in a week's time you'll see about all there is to see. If you are staying in a hotel, you can get all the information you will need on where to go in the lobby. Problem is, you really won't see very much because we're in the cold, dark, cloudy, foggy, rainy season right now and probably won't come out of it until late spring.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:00 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,463,906 times
I second the San Juan Islands. You will definitely get some breathtaking photos for sure. If you should decide to go and you head to San Juan Island, there is a zipline that you can do which is something you will not forget. My family and I had a blast and the guides are outstanding. Not sure if they run it this time of year and you would have to call since it didn't indicate their seasonal dates, if any, on their website. Check it out. You will not be disappointed ZIP San Juan :: Welcome. Enjoy your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
I finally did it! Reservations have been made, I fly out on 10/29 and stay until the next Friday. There is so much I want to do but only 5 full days to do it. Tops on my list.. visit the Space Needle, Discovery Park, scenic areas around Seattle to photograph. Port Townsend is a must stop as is Poulsbo. I'm hoping to take in the drive around the Olympic Peninsula and spend the night in Long Beach or Ocean Shores. I really want to visit Mount Rainier but as much as I want to go there, anything with salt water nearby takes priority.

So any ideas what I can do? I'm really into photography, so finding those spots to get that perfect pic is a must. I love the outdoors, so what parks would you recommend? where is the best place to see marine life, especially seals?? I'm a real gourmet food lover, any places you can recommend on a moderate budget (under 50 dollars per person, wine included)?? A good place to enjoy some music is on my list as well (I love KMTT The Mountain and KEXP)).. and a place to mingle with the locals.

I'm trying to get a feel for the Seattle area for a move in a year or two, hence another reason for coming out. This will be my first time back to Seattle since around 1999. I'm counting down the seconds! Thanks for whatever advice you can give.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:50 AM

29 posts, read 82,932 times
I would suggest taking I90 to the East about 30 miles into the Cascades to the small town of Snoqualmie. There are great photo ops for Snoqualmie Falls, Mt. Si, Historic downtown Snoualmie and the old Snoqualmie railway station. And after taking photos you can have a beer at the Snoqualmie Brewery. Below is a link of some things to do in Snoqualmie: Things To Do in Snoqualmie and the SnoValley (http://www.snoqualmierealestatemarket.com/2011/09/things-to-do-snoqualmie-snovalley/ - broken link)

Old 10-27-2011, 05:51 AM

653 posts, read 1,785,845 times
To all who replied, thanks for taking the time for your suggestions! I'm super excited about the trip! It's my first time back in the Seattle area since the mid 90's at least. As I have mentioned in earlier posts, I'm also getting a general feel to see if this could be a place where we could spend our later years.. unfortunately, my wife won't be able to come along but I'm hoping to being her out later next year. Luckily, the weather may be more sunny than overcast and rainy.. Tue. thru Thurs. looks dry for the most part, so this will offer good photo op's. I may very well get into tthe San Juan islands but the Port Townsend to Sequim area is a must as is the Long Beach region too. Of course checking out Seattle for the day is a must. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Thanks again.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
Get the Seattle City Pass: Official Seattle CityPASS® | Visit 6 Seattle Attractions for $59 if it's your first time.

I know a lot of people don't like City Pass because it's "use it or lose it," but for me it gives me a good introduction to cities I'm visiting. It's geared towards the really touristy stuff of course.

But, as fellow Photographer, the Woodland Park Zoo is one of the most photographable zoos in the country.

As Danny pointed out above, Snoqualmie Falls area is very nice. The Waterfront is another place I'd highly recommend, along with Ballard Locks, Golden Gardens (Park,) Gas Works Park (for my money, one of the best views of Downtown Seattle,) and Washington Park, especially the north end on Marsh Island and Union Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area