Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 9,730 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Thinking of buying a home in South Seattle. Would like to live somewhere relatively safe that's good for raising a family. I'm planning on spending $400K or less. Hopefully, less. What areas would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 12:33 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,888,740 times
Can you be more specific? South Seattle can be thought of as the southern area within the city limits of Seattle or it could reference the South King County from Tukwila and Burien to Federal Way and Auburn.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:47 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,803,931 times
Why the sad face? There's lots of places south of Seattle are good safe areas. Harrier's right, though... what is "South Seattle" and how far of a commute are you looking for? And look at it this: the trend right now is that everyone is moving North of Seattle... which only adds to the traffic woes up there (also best to mention, the Sounder train is a lot more reliable coming from the south, not the north; We have light rail as well.)

Old 10-22-2011, 03:28 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,820,155 times
That's the confused icon, not the sad one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Why the sad face? There's lots of places south of Seattle are good safe areas.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:49 PM

Good point about the Sounder train inkpoe - even the express ST buses that go up 167 and I-5 are rather efficient. We will help u out bumble bee, jut narrow things down a bit! Good luck.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 11,049 times
That is good to know about the Sounder train & buses. My fiance & I will be moving to Seattle in 4 weeks for a job I took out there.
We have been looking at Ballard, Freemont & Magnolia....but thinking since I will be working in SLU that we should look more towards south of there.................Beacon Hill, Capitol Hill, Bell town or near Industrial District? We have read a lot on here about Seattle & we are fine with the weather - same amount of rain & grey as our current city of Columbus, OH.
If anyone has any feedback on any of these locations I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:23 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,121,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble bee View Post
Hi,

Thinking of buying a home in South Seattle. Would like to live somewhere relatively safe that's good for raising a family. I'm planning on spending $400K or less. Hopefully, less. What areas would you recommend?
Greatest places south is Normandy Park, Des Moines, Seahurst, and all up the coast of West Seattle.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:18 AM

253 posts, read 569,917 times
My wife and I are also looking in S. Seattle.

We've been focusing around Link stations in the Rainier Valley. As the system builds out it will become increasingly useful (Capital Hill and the University of Washington in 2016; Bellevue and Northgate by the early 2020s).

Probably our top choice right not is around the Othello LR Station. Specifically the New Holly Townhomes. There's a new or remodled QFC (Seattle area grocery chain) right across from the station and on the way to the residences.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:26 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,867,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
My wife and I are also looking in S. Seattle.

We've been focusing around Link stations in the Rainier Valley. As the system builds out it will become increasingly useful (Capital Hill and the University of Washington in 2016; Bellevue and Northgate by the early 2020s).

Probably our top choice right not is around the Othello LR Station. Specifically the New Holly Townhomes. There's a new or remodled QFC (Seattle area grocery chain) right across from the station and on the way to the residences.
The only QFC in that area (that I know of) is near the McClellan station - I know of nothing like that near the Othello Station. Unless it's really new ...

Old 11-01-2011, 12:58 AM

If your moving to Othello LR area - here is a link to a good rundown on the various gangs that roam Rainier Valley. What's Seattle's most dangerous neighborhood? - Yahoo! Answers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area