Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 05:04 PM

59 posts, read 224,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
In a lot of the places with cards, you just need to punch in your phone number if you don't have physical possession of the card.
If you're like me (paranoid?) and don't like giving out your phone number. All you really need is the number off the card. I have them in an encrypted password program on my phone. Not just grocery store cards, but frequent flyer cards, library cards, insurance cards etc. Assuming you trust the encryption, you could put pretty much anything in there.

I actually have several of the cards also scanned in as images. I thought I'd just scan the barcode straight off the phone's screen, but it didn't work (tried at Safeway and REI). There is a an iPhone app that claims to do this, or at least it has the most success with direct scanning of a barcode off the phone, but they also collect marketing data from your usage of the app...so only use it if you don't care about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 12:33 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times
We made an offer on a condo in the northwest area of Belltown that was accepted. Now waiting on lender approval for this short sale. We are looking at different aspects of urban living.

We would like to not own a car but wonder how far out of the downtown/Belltown area do you need to travel to get decent prices on grocery items? We enjoy shopping at the Westlake Whole Foods when we visit but can’t imagine shopping at those prices when living there. Any suggestions on a grocery store that is accessible by public transportation from this area of Belltown? How far is the closest Costco?

Old 02-12-2012, 12:48 PM

277 posts, read 442,152 times
I have yet to go to a QFC, but only because there's a Safeway and Met. Market right across from me. Though I have yet to go to the Met. Market either, but I know it's super tiny. I will go to Safeway if I'm in a pinch and forgot to get something for a recipe, or need Starbucks. Otherwise, eh. It reminds me of Albertsons, and I always avoided going there when I lived in Florida. It wasn't 'dirty', but it just seemed that way. And the produce at this one is pretty lame.

I do most of my shopping at Ballard Market. It's got the best produce section I've seen pretty much anywhere, and I love being able to buy spices, pasta, nuts, etc in the amounts I need, and not jumbo cans that will go bad before I use it, or take up space in my cabinets. Price wise I can't really compare, since everything out here is expensive. But it's worth the trip from Queen Anne across the bridge to shop there once a week and stock up.

I do really really miss Publix supermarkets though. Is it odd that's the one thing I miss about Florida? lol I loved the buy one get one free deals every week, everything is super bright, and always clean. And the bakery and deli were amazing.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:22 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
...We would like to not own a car but wonder how far out of the downtown/Belltown area do you need to travel to get decent prices on grocery items? We enjoy shopping at the Westlake Whole Foods when we visit but can’t imagine shopping at those prices when living there. Any suggestions on a grocery store that is accessible by public transportation from this area of Belltown? How far is the closest Costco?
Well, until someone more up-to-date comes along to inform you, I think it would be easy enough to go north on Aurora to get to Fred Meyer, and up to Capitol Hill to get at QFC, which is slightly more expensive.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
[font=Verdana]
We would like to not own a car but wonder how far out of the downtown/Belltown area do you need to travel to get decent prices on grocery items? We enjoy shopping at the Westlake Whole Foods when we visit but can’t imagine shopping at those prices when living there. Any suggestions on a grocery store that is accessible by public transportation from this area of Belltown? How far is the closest Costco?
Just remember, you also have Pike Place Market-- they would have the produces and a milk shop. You have several grocery stores nearby close to Lower Queen Anne: Metropolitan, QFC (both on Mercer Street, which is on the other side of Seattle Center from where you live) and Safeway, I believe one block south of Mercer Street.

The closest Costco is one just south of DT... address: 4401 4th Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98134.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:34 PM

412 posts, read 1,153,153 times
I love Grocery Outlet, Fred Meyers, Winco Foods and Trader Joes because of reasonable prices and lots of different food selections. Winco foods is kinda far away from the city center, though.

I hate Safeway, QFC and Albertsons because of the annoying discount price cards. The prices of the food are considerably expensive in general.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:04 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I love Central Market - love the huge produce area, great meat selection, Asian food section, bulk spices/flours/grains, etc, awesome deli, great bakery -- overall atmosphere is great as is the selection.

Trader Joe's has a certain number of products that I only buy there due to price - some cheeses, and other items.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
We also use Trader Joe's for some things, living right between two at Issaquah and Redmond. Most of our grocery shopping is at Costco, once a month, then a few things that my wife finds in the sale ads at Safeway, Fred Meyer or QFC. Because it's close, if we run out of something and need it in a hurry Safeway just because it's only one mile away. Unfortunately there is no Central Market nearby, but we always stop at the one in Poulsbo when passing by, the quality and selection justifies the price there. We also stop once every week or two at Uwajimaya in Bellevue, they have things not available elsewhere at decent prices and really good produce. In the summer, though, all of our produce comes from the Issaquah Farmer's Market, the freshly picked Yakima Valley vegetables and fruits are great and at good prices. The one in Redmond is priced a lot higher.

Generally the major supermarkets are overpriced except for the "loss leaders" so we stick to them. Walmart has good prices on name brand items but their house brand stuff and produce are awful, and the nearest is 45 minutes away anyway.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:39 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,115 times
Thanks, the variety is going to be wonderful.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:54 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
The perfumed-yuppie set are for the most part gullible grocery shoppers......organic this.......free range that. This makes grocers have a lightbulb moment...."Hey, if the Perfumed-Yuppies will fall for insane prices, why not everyone else?".

Then you see more and more overpriced junk in a store that used to mainly cater to the working-class barfbag......DARN.

Last edited by tickyul; 02-12-2012 at 07:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area