Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:46 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I worry about the lack of college bball enthusiasts
The Husky basketball team is pretty popular, at least I thought it was when I lived there.

Quote:
I don't think anything can replace the southern charm that comes with NC
I think I have heard that that is one of the friendliest parts of the country, though there are lots of nice people in Wa it will be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 07:58 PM

259 posts, read 553,919 times
We are currently in Charleston SC...and are looking forward to getting back to the PNW ASAP. You have to experience the PNW...no one could explain it and paint the picture better then you with your own experiences. Good luck and enjoy!

Old 02-05-2012, 08:24 PM

878 posts, read 1,652,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow9713 View Post
We are currently in Charleston SC...and are looking forward to getting back to the PNW ASAP. You have to experience the PNW...no one could explain it and paint the picture better then you with your own experiences. Good luck and enjoy!
As said on the previous page I moved here from Savannah in May and I love the PNW!

I am going on vacation Friday back to Savannah for a week to visit family and friends... I hear it's in the 70's down there which makes now a much better time to visit than August.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:06 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidmufn View Post
I too am a Southerner and am from Raleigh, NC. I will be moving to Seattle in June and I worry about the same thing. Although I am young and uber liberal, I worry about the lack of college bball enthusiasts (being a UNC-CH grad I'm accustomed to bball being in people's blood) and I also worry that folks in Seattle just won't be as friendly. I don't think anything can replace the southern charm that comes with NC, and I know I definitely won't be able to find grits and collards anywhere. But I hope there are other things that make the move worth it!
We do have Husky B-ball, however its not the only game in town. We're also crazy for Mariners, Seahaws (despite the two being sucky teams) and definitely and mostly for our beloved Sounders (soccer)! There are people here who are trying to bring back NBA (people loved Sonics, too). We *might* get NHL... but we'll see.

Make your own grits (and collards) at home. Food places here that do offer grits... make it so bad A lot of my friend don't get the allure of grits because of those places.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
We do have Husky B-ball, however its not the only game in town. We're also crazy for Mariners, Seahaws (despite the two being sucky teams) and definitely and mostly for our beloved Sounders (soccer)! There are people here who are trying to bring back NBA (people loved Sonics, too). We *might* get NHL... but we'll see.

Make your own grits (and collards) at home. Food places here that do offer grits... make it so bad A lot of my friend don't get the allure of grits because of those places.
The Mariners would definitely apply to me. I have a 1991 pocket schedule for the Mariners. And I have gotten to love the Sounders FC, loved it the minute they became an MLS team. Being in the South and having lived in the Seattle area before, I do notice alot of differences. Alot of people in the Atlanta area have this idea of Seattle being these things: grunge, rain, and hippies. I won't say they don't exist, but having lived there myself once, I know Seattle is much more than that. In Seattle these days, soccer has caught on. In Atlanta, I don't think an MLS team will be there anytime soon. We just lost hockey, for the second time in a row. The food scene is definitely something to check out.

Old 11-24-2019, 01:49 PM

24 posts, read 13,993 times
Not my business bumping this thread but:

Pacific Northwest:
-Colder, cloudier on average, drizzles, Starbucks, liberals, Mt. Rainier, Evergreen Trees, more mild summers

South:
-Warmer, more diverse geography (parts of the south are both Sunnier, and get more rain than the pnw), more Christian, better food (subjective), good ol boys, Appalachians, more history, etc.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:41 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post

If you move here, prepare to be amazed at how other people see the South. They think that Southerners just sit on their porches all day, sipping iced tea and reading the bible.
People in Denver thought this as well. Particularly Raleigh

Old 11-24-2019, 11:14 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Sweet Tea vs. Bubble Tea.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:11 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Sweet Tea vs. Bubble Tea.
That's funny. I'd add "fried chicken and chicken pho".

Old 11-25-2019, 10:08 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambolio View Post
Not my business bumping this thread but:

Pacific Northwest:
-Colder, cloudier on average, drizzles, Starbucks, liberals, Mt. Rainier, Evergreen Trees, more mild summers

South:
-Warmer, more diverse geography (parts of the south are both Sunnier, and get more rain than the pnw), more Christian, better food (subjective), good ol boys, Appalachians, more history, etc.
You realize, that the thread topic is cultural differences, right?j You bumped the thread in order to take it off-topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area