U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 06:55 AM

3 posts, read 6,685 times

Advertisements

I am a black single woman living in South, Florida (Fort Lauderdale). I am seriously looking to relocate to Seattle, Washington in January. I do plan on visiting. However, I've read many of the threads and most wasn't that good. I don't care about the many blacks and white community. I just want somewhere new to live for the next 3 to 4 yrs. I've been OH, NY, GA, AL, TN, KY, MN, IN, MA, and DC I HATE ALL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 09:13 AM

21,469 posts, read 14,499,304 times
That's a lot to hate. Why Seattle if what you have read is not so good? You should definitely make a lengthy visit first. That's a long move and Seattle may not be right for you if you hated the previous ten places.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:24 AM

1,600 posts, read 3,012,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida030 View Post
I am a black single woman living in South, Florida (Fort Lauderdale). I am seriously looking to relocate to Seattle, Washington in January. I do plan on visiting. However, I've read many of the threads and most wasn't that good. I don't care about the many blacks and white community. I just want somewhere new to live for the next 3 to 4 yrs. I've been OH, NY, GA, AL, TN, KY, MN, IN, MA, and DC I HATE ALL.
If you hate all the places you have been, why would you think you would like WA or Seattle any better? The grass is not always greener on the other side. We have our problems as well and you will most likely find them.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:30 AM

6,666 posts, read 5,237,137 times
Of the places you have lived, i have also lived in;
OH, GA, TN, and IN. I enjoyed all.. I have also lived in Seattle and I enjoyed it. But, the weather drove me away. Its cloudy and overcast every day from Late Sept to Mid April. I mean every day. And it rains about 90% of those days.. if you can stand that then Seattle is a great place to live..

Old 11-11-2011, 10:45 AM

9,638 posts, read 26,181,802 times
On the other hand, sometimes a change of a large distance does the trick. You read threads about NY, GA and DC, and a lot of people like those places, but you didn't. People like Seattle and they don't like Seattle, but they aren't you. I'd suggest visiting here, and keeping an open mind. Don't judge a place because some people you don't know don't like it. There must be a reason you're seriously relocating here. What have you heard that attracts you to Seattle, and what have you heard that makes you think you might not like it?

Old 11-11-2011, 10:52 AM

9,638 posts, read 26,181,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Of the places you have lived, i have also lived in;
OH, GA, TN, and IN. I enjoyed all.. I have also lived in Seattle and I enjoyed it. But, the weather drove me away. Its cloudy and overcast every day from Late Sept to Mid April. I mean every day. And it rains about 90% of those days.. if you can stand that then Seattle is a great place to live..
The weather may have driven you away, but your information isn't really accurate. We've seen a lot of sunshine in Seattle lately, and it's November. There were a lot of days in October where rain did not occur. Yes, we do get a lot of cloudy and overcast days. But it does not rain 90% of the days between late September and mid April. It can seem like it, and mid November thru the end of January can be pretty miserable...Dark, cold, wet.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:34 AM

21,469 posts, read 14,499,304 times
I guess I don't get the point of the OP's post to be honest. We have plenty of people in Seattle. Traffic is horrendous. Is the OP looking for us to sell them on Seattle? I sometimes think the weather is the gift we have that keeps the local population to a semi-reasonable size. If the OP has hated ten other places, it might not be about geography.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:27 PM

353 posts, read 897,798 times
If you hated all of the other places, you will probably hate Seattle. On the other hand, if you had loved all of the other places, you would probably love Seattle.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
40,146 posts, read 71,800,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
The weather may have driven you away, but your information isn't really accurate. We've seen a lot of sunshine in Seattle lately, and it's November. There were a lot of days in October where rain did not occur. Yes, we do get a lot of cloudy and overcast days. But it does not rain 90% of the days between late September and mid April. It can seem like it, and mid November thru the end of January can be pretty miserable...Dark, cold, wet.
Yes, like today when I barely made it fishtailing up the hill with 1/2" of hail on the road, which has now frozen solid.

If someone hated it in that many states (10) it may take another 15 or 20 to find one they like, but with all of them being on the east part of the country, it would probably be helpful to take a couple of weeks and visit Seattle and some other west coast cities like Portland and San Francisco. The west coast really is quite different.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:12 PM

807 posts, read 2,181,355 times
Selling someone on Seattle compared to her list of Rust Belt and Deep South states is like shooting fish in a barrel. No contest. Not even fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: