Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:12 AM

54 posts, read 68,091 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Seattle in a few months from the Bay Area. My partner (who is a UW grad student) and are looking for an apartment in the downtown area. Neither of us own a car and I'm looking to find something in the Capitol Hill area where I'll be working. Is it common to use a rental broker in Seattle? Or is it mainly craigslist, word-of-mouth, signs in windows, etc?

We'll be looking for a 1-BR, wood floors, preferably in an older building with some character. Also curious what rents are generally like in that area as far as an average rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 06:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Craigslist and the Seattle Times have listings, but the best deals go quickly with just a sign posted so it helps to be here and drive or walk around. In a really nice building figure $1,200 for a studio, $1,500 for 1 bedroom. You can find something $200-300 less in an older building, or busier street, or closer to the I5 freeway.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:42 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,134,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlueInSF View Post
I'm moving to Seattle in a few months from the Bay Area. My partner (who is a UW grad student) and are looking for an apartment in the downtown area. Neither of us own a car and I'm looking to find something in the Capitol Hill area where I'll be working. Is it common to use a rental broker in Seattle? Or is it mainly craigslist, word-of-mouth, signs in windows, etc?

We'll be looking for a 1-BR, wood floors, preferably in an older building with some character. Also curious what rents are generally like in that area as far as an average rent.
Capital Hill apartment rentals will probably be cheaper then San Francisco. Lots of older apartments on Capital Hill as well. In fact that is where most of the older apartments are.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 AM

507 posts, read 1,669,210 times
I live in Capitol Hill and found my place on Craigslist. From when I was looking (one year ago) I would say you can find 1-bed apartments from around $900, get something decent for $1200, I saw a couple of really nice two beds in old buildings for around $1600. This will always include water, sewer and garbage.

There are a lot of buidlings with 'vacancy' signs on the outside, so probably a good method is to just walk around the areas you like and phone some of the numbers on the signs. If the manager lives there as well you might be able to look at the apartment straight away.

My contract is finished now, so I am month to month and I have had a look at a couple of apartments that I've seen when I walked by, it seems to be a better option that Craiglist if you're in the area and have the time to do it that way.

Last edited by SitoUK; 11-10-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 11-10-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitoUK View Post
I live in Capitol Hill and found my place on Craigslist. From when I was looking (one year ago) I would say you can find 1-bed apartments from around $900, get something decent for $1200, I saw a couple of really nice two beds in old buildings for around $1600. This will always include water, sewer and garbage.

There are a lot of buidlings with 'vacancy' signs on the outside, so probably a good method is to just walk around the areas you like and phone some of the numbers on the signs. If the manager lives there as well you might be able to look at the apartment straight away.

My contract is finished now, so I am month to month and I have had a look at a couple of apartments that I've seen when I walked by, it seems to be a better option that Craiglist if you're in the area and have the time to do it that way.
Thanks - sounds like we might be able to find something decent in a price range not too different from our current place, which we are renting for $1200 (1BR, 1920s era building with wood floors)

Old 11-10-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks - sounds like we might be able to find something decent in a price range not too different from our current place, which we are renting for $1200 (1BR, 1920s era building with wood floors)
Yes, that's roughly what we are paying for 1-bed apartment close to Broadway, 1920s as well, wooden floors, very high ceilings. Only downside is that it takes a lot of electricity to heat all the space under those ceilings in winter

Old 11-11-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitoUK View Post
Yes, that's roughly what we are paying for 1-bed apartment close to Broadway, 1920s as well, wooden floors, very high ceilings. Only downside is that it takes a lot of electricity to heat all the space under those ceilings in winter
So totally not looking forward to living in cold[er] weather climate and needing to actually use the heat (and the utility bills that go with). Only upside it can't be worse than when I lived in the Northeast and shelled out several hundred dollars a month for heating oil in the winter.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:00 PM

NO, it's not that bad. Electricity is actually surprisingly cheap here. We have these really inefficient heating fans in the wall, as soon as you turn them off it gets cold again, and I bought a couple of electric radiators extra. When winter was at its worst we had all this stuff on at the same time and I was really worried about the electricity bill but then the highest we ever got was $140 for two months, i.e. 70 per month which is really not a lot, in summer it's maybe $20 per month.

I guess it depends a lot on the building you live in. In many older buildings the landlords have replaced central heating systems with these electric ones when some major upgrade was due. These electric heaters are much cheaper than a new boiler for your central heating system plus the tenants pay themselves through their electricity bill, double win for the landlord.

We also stayed in a more modern building for a while when we first got here, much less heating was needed there as it was much better insulated...but no character to the building at all, so I am happy to pay some extra heating for living in a nice place :-)

Old 11-12-2011, 01:11 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,854,342 times
Quote:
So totally not looking forward to living in cold[er] weather climate and needing to actually use the heat (and the utility bills that go with). Only upside it can't be worse than when I lived in the Northeast and shelled out several hundred dollars a month for heating oil in the winter.
Electricity isn't too bad in WA. We moved from CA, and we saved a ton on electric bills because there are not a lot of homes with A/C, so there are a lot baseboard heaters. In the summer our electric bills were like $60 and in the winter the most it ever got was about $190 (and we had a 3 story, 1600 square foot town home).

Personally I loved the cooler weather.

V. =)

Old 11-12-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
Electricity isn't too bad in WA. We moved from CA, and we saved a ton on electric bills because there are not a lot of homes with A/C, so there are a lot baseboard heaters. In the summer our electric bills were like $60 and in the winter the most it ever got was about $190 (and we had a 3 story, 1600 square foot town home).

Personally I loved the cooler weather.

V. =)
$190 in winter? Yipes. Most my PGE bill ever hits is about $50 in the winter, and then only for a month or two. Summer closer to $20. Advantage of the inner Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: