Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2007, 10:36 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times

Advertisements

I have to laugh. I'm considering a move to Seattle. I want to leave Florida (great place to visit, but not exactly thrilling to live here) and I've been considering Portland, OR or Seattle, WA.

I have to laugh! The most common thing I hear is, but it's overcast and gray/rainy alot up there. Well, I LOVE rainy/overcast days. Seriously. They make me feel..I don't know...comfortable I guess. Plus, since I like to be outdoors alot the idea of not sweating year round is VERY appealing.

Just my two cents. Any other wierd weather lovers out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 10:55 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,061,557 times
Lots of people think they love that sort of weather, until they live it for months and months... and then years upon years.

You don't know how much you will love or hate it until you live it.

It was cozy and different for me too - the first few years I was there. Our last couple of years there, it drove us mad.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:56 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,699,951 times
Yeah Darling - I'm from all parts of Sunny California, and I used to say the SAME thing " OHH I love rain - oHHH I just love those cozy cloudy days"

People in California told me how WELL I'm going to "fit" in Seattle...

GUESS WHAT? When you have Sunny Days all the time (like CA or FL) then YES cloudy days are wonderful - but day after day after day - year after year after year, you begin to hate it.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:01 AM

8 posts, read 44,889 times
I'm in the SAME boat. In fact, as I write it's pouring out right now! I think the biggest difference is the fact that Seattle's rain is super cold (or so i hear).

Other than Florida sucking ass, why are you looking to move to the west coast?

I'm (hopefully) moving to Seattle because I want to be closer to Vancouver - have you been up there? It's unbelievably beautiful but I don't have the money ($10k) saved up so Canada is put on hold.

What are the differences (in your opinion) between Portland and Seattle? After researching Seattle, I'm hearing a lot of good things about Portland as well and now I'm REALLY confused

Old 08-27-2007, 11:23 AM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,962 times
Come on up! They're predicting a wet September. I loved cloudy, cozy, rainy days, too until ten years in Seattle . It's fine if you're mobile and can move after a few years if it gets depressing.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:40 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
JessicaFL,

I LOVE Vancouver! It's my dream city to live in. However, too hard to get there.

My exboyfriend and now good friend lives in Seattle; so that makes it a little easier for me to move there. I also have a few friends that moved there from Tampa (there seems to be some sort of Tampa to Seattle exchange going on LOL!).

Seattle has alot to offer and really I'm not put off by the weather. I lived in New England before Florida so I'm used to weather extremes. It was gray and freezing for four months there.

Portland tends to be more laid back than Seattle. The public transportation is better (I don't like to drive so that's important to me), and it's a little bit warmer than Seattle. Seattle has more economic opportunity and like FL there is no state income tax.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:18 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,324 times
Default I like it too.

Not everybody digs overcast days... I do. I'm a native, so take it with a grain of salt.

I love sunny days too, don't get me wrong. They seem extra glorious when you're coming out of a dark Northwest winter, when everything is shimmering green trees and blue water.

It truly isn't for everybody, and I wish people would come to grips with that. Just like boiling heat and a dry landscape isn't for everybody... or a lack of real seasons... or stifling humidity. To each his own.

A drizzly day prevents you from doing nothing much more than sunbathing. You can run in it, you can ski in the mountains, you can even play volleyball if you're so inclined... just be prepared for it.

I'm not a believer that people who don't like it 'get used to it'. You either can deal with it or you can't in my experience. I go nuts if I'm in LA or Phoenix for more than a few days, just like some people go nuts if they don't see the sun for a few weeks. Not sure you can change people's stripes.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:12 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,248 times
there are plenty of people that live in much more severe climates than WA and they live happy wonderful lives. My Dad grew up in Chicago and would freeze his butt off every winter. There is a lot more to a place than the weather. Some people I know who live in WA say they hate the winter, others say it doesn't bother them.....but they all agree that there are many other wonderful things about WA that make up for the cloudy days.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:21 AM

37 posts, read 274,773 times
I lived in Seattle for 30 years, and the weather drove me NUTS! It'd clooud over in October, and you wouldn't see the sun again until March. Then in March - miraculously - it'd be nice for 1 -2 days, then cloud over again until May. There were Augusts I remember where it rained just about every day...

That said, my sister absolutely LOVES the cold, damp Seattle weather. She thinks it's the greatest thing in the world, and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else. So to each his own, I suppose.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:17 AM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,955 times
Im not really sure its as cut and dry as that. I dont believe its "you either love it or hate it" ! Theres just more then one factor that makes a place home, or hell.

Of course weather plays a big role but what about the people in your community? What about cost of living? Are you a city or country person? What types of vigorous activities do you enjoy? This is a good one for Seattle being its so diverse there. Wether it be walking the city blocks at a fast pace with your ipod, or mountain biking through one of the many trail heads there. To hitting the close by mountains for some skiing or hiking.

The wet/grey winters will have you inside more then normal so are you equipped for this? Are you a reader? Computer surfer/gamer? PS3 ? Like to cook? Work with your hands? Have kids? All of these things factor in to your quality of life.

For someone who gets bummed out easily I dont think the PNW would be for you. Personally I dream of Seattle daily, and will continue to do so until Im there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area