Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
The weather here has been gorgeous lately, although a little too hot for me! Today I was really wishing I was out on the lake cooling off instead of trapped at work. Ah well, bills don't pay themselves! And anyway I spent the evening of the 4th on a boat on Lake Tapps. Awesomeness! Glad we were able to break of cycle this year of the old rule "summer in Seattle doesn't start until the 5th of July."
I was just in Seattle from June 30th to July 3rd, and the weather was beautiful. Returned to San Diego, which has been an absolute sauna for the past few days. Can't wait to get back to the PNW!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 11:48 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,381,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
I was just in Seattle from June 30th to July 3rd, and the weather was beautiful. Returned to San Diego, which has been an absolute sauna for the past few days. Can't wait to get back to the PNW!!!
Lucky.

Seattle is just about the only place in the country that's having weather fit for humans right now.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:20 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,057 times
I agree! What I did today around noon which was to go for a long run and walk is not realistically possible at that same time in Miami where I live. In the summer here in Seattle one can go for walks or runs pretty much at any hour without being miserable from the heat. In FL, is either before 10 am or after 7pm. Generally, any other time in between can be uncomfortable, and dangerous if done for a long period of without a break.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 5 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Lucky.

Seattle is just about the only place in the country that's having weather fit for humans right now.
There are plenty of other places in this country that is having similar temperatures as Seattle right now, or at the very least for some days here and there.

Also, plenty of people like high temperatures in the 80s and 90s in the summer and find it more fit for humans than a place that gets no summer, or a place that is too cold for too long. The first human civilizations in the world generally come from places with very hot summers.

Personally, I like warm/hot temperatures and did most of my life.
I went through a brief phase last summer where I thought I didn't like warm/hot temperatures but I honestly did that so I can go through a Seattle spring and summer which is much cooler than what I am used to for spring and summers.

Seattle summers to me are usually a bit too cold for summer and a bit too short. Last summer though was way too short for me. Most summers there are plenty of days someone still has to wear a sweater outside over there and there is a slight chill in the air.

Seattle summers are still pretty good most summers, especially compared to how the weather is some other months, but I prefer it a bit warmer for that time period.

New York City where I am right now had a day yesterday that reached 90 degrees and sunny and it felt perfect for summer. It would even feel perfect if it got up to 100 degrees.
If NYC had a day this July, or August with a high at 75 degrees and a low of 55 degrees it would feel kind of strange and not great for summer.

Last edited by ; 07-06-2011 at 05:25 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,159,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
....Seattle on average has 47% of possible total annual sunshine(2,000 annual sunshine hours).
Now THAT is an interesting and unexpected stat. It seems to show that almost half of every day is sunny, on average. So it's not really wall-to-wall gray except for a few of the worst times.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:04 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,866,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Personally, I like warm/hot temperatures and did most of my life.
I went through a brief phase last summer where I thought I didn't like warm/hot temperatures but I honestly did that so I can go through a Seattle spring and summer which is much cooler than what I am used to for spring and summers.

Seattle summers to me are usually a bit too cold for summer and a bit too short. Last summer though was way too short for me. Most summers there are plenty of days someone still has to wear a sweater outside over there and there is a slight chill in the air.

Seattle summers are still pretty good most summers, especially compared to how the weather is some other months, but I prefer it a bit warmer for that time period.

New York City where I am right now had a day yesterday that reached 90 degrees and sunny and it felt perfect for summer. It would even feel perfect if it got up to 100 degrees.
If NYC had a day this July, or August with a high at 75 degrees and a low of 55 degrees it would feel kind of strange and not great for summer.
Maybe because you're used to the NYC humid summers that Seattle feels slightly chill?

My friends who moved into the DC area tells me that you don't look at the degrees, but rather at the heat index. I also have another friend who moved to Brooklyn who loves NYC-- but hates the summers there because he's never had to sweat so much in his life. He basically says the same thing. Humidity bugs!

Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Maybe because you're used to the NYC humid summers that Seattle feels slightly chilly?

My friends who moved into the DC area tells me that you don't look at the degrees, but rather at the heat index. I also have another friend who moved to Brooklyn who loves NYC-- but hates the summers there because he's never had to sweat so much in his life. He basically says the same thing. Humidity bugs!
Yes. I think part of the reason Seattle summers feel slightly chilly to me is because I am used to the NYC summers which are usually much more warm and humid. I lived in NYC the first 18 years of my life and lived in Seattle since last year February 2010.

But there are plenty of places that get warmer summers than Seattle, including in the USA, and plenty of places that get warmer summers than even NYC.

I was not used to late night and morning lows being in the mid 50s in the summer with highs barely ever reaching 80+ and plenty of days not even reaching 70 degrees. This is true for June, July, August, and September over there. There are even some days in that time period where the high does not reach 65 degrees there. Plenty of days where I had to wear a sweater outside in Seattle even in those months.

I like both Seattle and New York City but in terms of weather I like NYC weather more for the warmer longer summers than Seattle summers even though Seattle summers are still pretty good.

I like warm/hot temperatures and like both dry heat and humid heat.
I usually prefer dry heat but the vast majority of the time humid warmth/heat does not bother me at all.

Also, I thought you said before you like warm/hot temperatures too. I remember you said you even enjoyed Las Vegas summers when you lived there when it reached the low 100s.

I think the warmest I can ever enjoy is up to 105 degrees for a high and 85 for a low. Anything above that is too hot even for me.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:40 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
How many summers have you spent in Seattle, pastpresentandfuture?
If it's only last summer, that was such a bad example. It's not usually that cold, wet, and gray. I grew up in New Jersey, with hot and humid summers. For me, Seattle's summers are much easier to take.
Yes, it does get frustrating some years in Seattle ,waiting for dryness and warmth and sunshine that seems like it will never come. Everybody's different. Those days in New Jersey that were 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity? I don't miss them.
Summers in Seattle are too short.
But when it finally arrives! Divine! Warm days and cool nights, low humidity.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
How many summers have you spent in Seattle, pastpresentandfuture?
If it's only last summer, that was such a bad example. It's not usually that cold, wet, and gray. I grew up in New Jersey, with hot and humid summers. For me, Seattle's summers are much easier to take.
Yes, it does get frustrating some years in Seattle ,waiting for dryness and warmth and sunshine that seems like it will never come. Everybody's different. Those days in New Jersey that were 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity? I don't miss them.
But when it does! Divine! Warm days and cool nights, low humidity. Some years it's just way too short.
Well, I technically lived there for only one summer since I lived there for about a year and a half so far. This will be the second summer.

Yeah. Last summer did seem like a bad example, especially for September last year. September I heard is usually very sunny and dry in Seattle and almost as warm as August. But last September was cloudy almost every day with below average temps, and record cloudiness and precipitation for that month.

But still even for other summers that was not last summer there are still plenty of days that can feel a bit chilly and still plenty of sweater wearing days.

I don't think Seattle summers are bad. I think they are pretty good. But since I like warm/hot temperatures, I prefer New York City summers, even if there is more humidity sometimes. And I even prefer Texas summers over Seattle summers. However, Phoenix summers are a bit too hot and I think I would even pick Seattle summers over Phoenix summers.

I feel like this year Seattle will have a better summer than last year. So far this July is off to a good start.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 PM

42 posts, read 89,315 times
Default compare the heat ??

I'm so sick of L.A / Inland empire summers the heat can range between 90-110 degrees
what are the summers like in seattle ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area