Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 01:20 PM

236 posts, read 472,355 times

Advertisements

Miserable

my fam doesnt live here I was pointing out that we use our heaters more here than people use AC in other places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 01:24 PM

62 posts, read 145,070 times
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, ancient Chinese secret.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 PM

588 posts, read 1,015,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
Swever

im not from cali so im not sure where you got that quote from. But i havent even spent half my life here and some places warmer some cooler than here I am aware of people complain about the weather. I was noting the manner of how they do it. When I hear someone comment on the 240+ overcast days a year. It would turn into better than brown or hot humidity. First plenty of places are just as green as here so that comment is funny.

But Im not interested in bickering. I like reading other perspectives that may cheer me up and feel better about living here. Ps. I use my heater far more than my fam uses their AC. Our heater is on from Oct thru May their AC is on from April thru Sep
I don't want to bicker either and you're posts are rather good natured so I don't think you are. I didn't intend it to be your quote, just referring to a common theme on this thread. I like reading others perspectives too. It just seems to me that generally the people that hate the weather in a place want to insist that they are "right", when there is no "right". But maybe that's because I happen to like the weather here. When I have lived in places where I didn't like the weather, then everything looks different. Maybe then I felt that those that liked the weather in that place were the hard heads, insisting they were "right". I think the idea is it's easy to think someone's preference, when it's different from one's own preference, is somehow misguided or wrong. But when someone has the same preference, then it's easy to say "see I'm right".

But if one is complaining about weather (not to say that they shouldn't, I have done it too, like I said it's natural) isn't it natural to then draw comparisons to other areas they have been? How can one grade better or worse without comparison?

Anyway, my point is kinda that debating weather is kinda silly, some people like some weather and some people think those people are crazy, etc... and now I'm doing it too, so my presence in this thread just exploded in my face...

"Different strokes to move the world!"

Old 07-15-2011, 02:28 PM

12 posts, read 19,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm miserable, plz let me View Post
^Truth.

AC in April? Are you kidding me!? AC is only useful 2-5 days a year here.

Or heater for 11 months of the year. Ours kicked last night and this morning. Yes, it is July 15. Thermostat is set to 67.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:38 PM

swerver, irrational ex,

I think the important thing is that others know our example and consider the drastic inconvenience of this lifestyle before making their decisions.

There certainly exist people who like cold and darkness. I get that. But I think folks need to know if they are one of them before making such a significant transition.

Perhaps some of the nice Seattleites in this forum might want to look up anti-depressant prescriptions in this area. I don't have the facts, but from anectodal evidence many of the moms here in Laurelhurst are on Zoloft and have no problems saying so. As if it were a normal way of coping--as if it were a "coffee plus."

Additionally, most families take trips to Hawaii, AZ, CA, FL rather frequently. Schools here have a weeklong President's Day break during which most families evacuate to someplace sunny to help them cope. They do this again in November. Keep that expense in mind as well as you consider your move to Seattle.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
And using the heater till May is being optimstic the real month is June and we frequently walk around with sweaters and sweats and use or comforter year round and blanks and snuggies on the couch year round.

Very true. I only disagree on one point. The heater comes on in July, too.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:57 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,553,385 times
Quote:
^Truth.

AC in April? Are you kidding me!? AC is only useful 2-5 days a year here.
So many people feel the need to exaggerate on this forum. I was there for a week in May. I wish my vacation home had AC for a couple of the days I was there. It's not that it was blistering hot outside, but the house was still getting fairly warm inside.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:49 PM

236 posts, read 472,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxwellSeattle View Post
Very true. I only disagree on one point. The heater comes on in July, too.
True had my heater on yesterday morning. Also agree on vacays. I definitely appreciate tropical vacation more than ever. We try to take two trips from the months of Nov thru April.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:53 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,748,189 times
Quote:
Yeah, at least it's a lot better than here. My cousin says sunny and hot never gets old, sounds about right to me.
Maybe it doesn't get old to your cousin, but it gets very old to some people (especially me!) It's a shame you and I can't trade places. I could enjoy the cold wet weather, and you could enjoy 95+ degree heat with a dewpoint of 70+, and never-ending sunshine burning your skin.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:33 PM

588 posts, read 1,015,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxwellSeattle View Post
swerver, irrational ex,

I think the important thing is that others know our example and consider the drastic inconvenience of this lifestyle before making their decisions.

There certainly exist people who like cold and darkness. I get that. But I think folks need to know if they are one of them before making such a significant transition.

Perhaps some of the nice Seattleites in this forum might want to look up anti-depressant prescriptions in this area. I don't have the facts, but from anectodal evidence many of the moms here in Laurelhurst are on Zoloft and have no problems saying so. As if it were a normal way of coping--as if it were a "coffee plus."

Additionally, most families take trips to Hawaii, AZ, CA, FL rather frequently. Schools here have a weeklong President's Day break during which most families evacuate to someplace sunny to help them cope. They do this again in November. Keep that expense in mind as well as you consider your move to Seattle.
If your data sample is people in Laurelhurst, I think you'd find that they would take frequent vacations wherever they live, due to being rich. Perhaps their taste for zoloft has more to do with their vapid existence, not the weather. Most likely neither of us are right on that one, since anecdotal evidence doesn't prove anything.

"There certainly exist people who like cold and darkness." When you say it that way, it sounds pretty horrible! I could just as easily say something like "There certainly exist people who like sweating while standing still" and while that makes sense to me, people that actually do like hot weather would read it and think I was exaggerating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area