Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 05:10 PM

287 posts, read 738,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Really?

When I add up rent, food, clothing, transportation, heating etc, my living expenses here in Seattle are about 20% higher than Marin County, California and my life style hasn't changed that much. I eat out less, excersize less, spend less time doing outdoor activities. Can't really comment on the brown comment. At least there I can actually go out and enjoy thats brown 12 months a year rather than sit indoors and and watch the rain. Seattle and the surrounding area has a lot to offer as far as outdoor activities but not nearly enough good days to enjoy them.
Ever heard of urban growth? Seattle metropolitan area has over 3.5 million people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 05:12 PM

62 posts, read 144,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Maybe it doesn't get old to your cousin, but it gets very old to some people (especially me!) It's a shame you and I can't trade places. I could enjoy the cold wet weather, and you could enjoy 95+ degree heat with a dewpoint of 70+, and never-ending sunshine burning your skin.
You do realize the most humid city in the nation is in Washington state right? It's always humid here.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:47 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm miserable, plz let me View Post
You do realize the most humid city in the nation is in Washington state right? It's always humid here.
Of course, but it's not always 90+ either. Also, I believe our average humidity in summer is higher than Seattle's. I like humidity when it's 40-60. Not so much when it's 95 and the sun is beating down on me.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:14 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,158,957 times
It's so strange that an overly discussed topic like the weather could still generate so many posts in one day! Thank Administration for making it one thread, or the rest of the forum would be overwhelmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Some people like more heat. I agree it can be nice for a little while. But, I find it interesting that in places where the summers are typically above 80, they all run ac. If you really loved 80 and beyond, why the need for ac? Because it gets uncomfortable after a while. Human nature, people always want what they haven't got. I like the cool weather here. This last week has been pushing it, yesterday we barely cracked 60. But I'd rather be here than back in Chicago enduring yet another heat wave. It's nice to just leave the windows and doors open all day, all night, all summer.

We get it, some of you want to move back to CA. I wouldn't mind living there either, but things are expensive enough here as it is, not to mention the near 10% income tax increase one would take moving from here to there. And everything is brown, not green.

I feel like many threads on these city boards can be simply resolved by humming the classic... "Different strokes to move the world"!
I originally moved to Seattle because I was sick of the relentlessly sunny Northern California weather (at least during half the year). I loved it at first in Seattle, in the autumn, but then by February or so I started to get sick of the relentlessly overcast and rainy weather (also the crowded city life). Probably SAD played a role too in moving me back to N. California - an uncrowded part of it. But as my brother once told me, a dark cloud follows me wherever I go, and sure enough for the next 3 months the weather was even worse than in Seattle, rain hail and snow with powerful winds. Now I'm starting to think of moving back to Seattle, even though the weather is perfect here and reportedly crappy this summer there. What I want for weather just keeps changing, I guess, and I'm naturally semi-nomadic.

Quote:
I'm mad and trapped, also anybody know how to embed a video on here?
I'd tell other people how, but not you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
And using the heater till May is being optimstic the real month is June and we frequently walk around with sweaters and sweats and use or comforter year round and blanks and snuggies on the couch year round.
I originally intended to last out the winter in Seattle using little heat but dressing warmly, to save money ...... unfortunately large patches of black mold began to show up all around the apartment, especially in the bathroom. Heat helps ward off mold (in addition to pouncing on it with Clorox.)

Quote:
Not even close. Maybe you're thinking of Washington DC. The most humid places are the Dixie states, but even the northern Atlantic states (such as Massachusetts where I was born) are more humid than Seattle.

Last edited by Woof; 07-15-2011 at 07:23 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 08:21 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's so strange that an overly discussed topic like the weather could still generate so many posts in one day!
Not strange at all considering how bad the weather in Seattle has been recently. Everybody is stuck inside their homes with nothing to do but to wait until the summer returns.

All these posts show again that weather in Seattle is a real issue.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,597 times
Eh, not really, for some I guess but we already knew that. Temps have been below normal but still pleasant. Doors/windows are still wide open and shorts are still on. Had a few rainy mornings, and less sun than usual for July but it's not stuck inside weather. Stuck inside weather, (for me anyway) is when you can't go out because you don't dare leave an ac'ed zone.

Weather is an issue everywhere, to some more than others, depending on the place. Find a place you like the weather and go there (that's what I did), or deal with it, what else is there to say?

Old 07-15-2011, 10:46 PM

287 posts, read 738,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Not strange at all considering how bad the weather in Seattle has been recently. Everybody is stuck inside their homes with nothing to do but to wait until the summer returns.

I don't believe you. So many people are outside walking, having fun, etc for the past week. Even during the rain. I wore t shirt and shorts in 65 degrees weather with 75 percent of humidity (dew of 57) and under the light drizzle, with a constant mild breeze. I was outside for hours. Went inside, my shirt is completely dry. Thank god im not in a hell people refer the south as that.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:16 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post

The weather hasn't been bad enough lately to make most people stay inside.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:19 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxwellSeattle View Post
Or heater for 11 months of the year. Ours kicked last night and this morning. Yes, it is July 15. Thermostat is set to 67.
next year try to use your heater 15 months of the year. It was 76 today if you tell me you are using the heater, then you have another problem and moving to another place won't help you at all. I barely use heater in Seattle. It has to be below 38 to start using the heater. Otherwise the temperature in the house is pleasant 70-72

Old 07-16-2011, 07:57 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Really?
Yeah "Really".
Your chart is misleading since it doesn't show the growth of the last decade. 2010 census shows Seattle population is 608,000 - a gain of well over 100,000 in the last few decades. More to the point though is the massive suburban growth that's occured over that time - so yeah, LOTS of folks have moved to Seattle (and it's suburbs) over the last few decades.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area