Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 08:58 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Eh, not really, for some I guess but we already knew that. Temps have been below normal but still pleasant. Doors/windows are still wide open and shorts are still on. Had a few rainy mornings, and less sun than usual for July but it's not stuck inside weather. Stuck inside weather, (for me anyway) is when you can't go out because you don't dare leave an ac'ed zone.
Weather is an issue everywhere, to some more than others, depending on the place. Find a place you like the weather and go there (that's what I did), or deal with it, what else is there to say?
I agree!!!
Reading some of these posts I can only say: What a bunch of whiners!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 09:21 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,706,185 times
It's funny seeing comments from other people calling locals whiners when these people don't even live here. But this rain has a cleansing effect. All these people from places like, oh, Texas and Arizona rushing here with no jobs and looking for gated communities, may get pretty moldy after a year or two and head south again.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:48 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yeah "Really".
Your chart is misleading since it doesn't show the growth of the last decade. 2010 census shows Seattle population is 608,000 - a gain of well over 100,000 in the last few decades. More to the point though is the massive suburban growth that's occured over that time - so yeah, LOTS of folks have moved to Seattle (and it's suburbs) over the last few decades.

Ken
563,374 in 2000, 608,000 in 2010, 7.9% increase. US population in the same period increase by 9.7%. Seattle can even keep up with the average growth rate of the US. Not surprising.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:51 AM

12 posts, read 19,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
It's funny seeing comments from other people calling locals whiners when these people don't even live here. But this rain has a cleansing effect. All these people from places like, oh, Texas and Arizona rushing here with no jobs and looking for gated communities, may get pretty moldy after a year or two and head south again.

Absolutely, if you come from a place where you see the sun on a regular basis and the weather isn't a huge topic of controversy, please heed the advice. Do not, no matter how great the job may seem, no matter how nice that one-off weekend during which you visited was. Do not. It's a very difficult survival for us know know better.

Just want to be honest with anyone considering. We bought high, and are now selling low. Accepting lesser position. But all worth it for the opportunity to have our children play outside, to enjoy tennis, golf, boating. To live the abundant life.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:06 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxwellSeattle View Post
Absolutely, if you come from a place where you see the sun on a regular basis and the weather isn't a huge topic of controversy, please heed the advice. Do not, no matter how great the job may seem, no matter how nice that one-off weekend during which you visited was. Do not. It's a very difficult survival for us know know better.

Just want to be honest with anyone considering. We bought high, and are now selling low. Accepting lesser position. But all worth it for the opportunity to have our children play outside, to enjoy tennis, golf, boating. To live the abundant life.
Not all of us who are moving from "sunny climes" are unfamiliar with the PNW's weather!
Some of us have actually lived there, have experienced it in every month of the year, and, amazingly, STILL want to move there!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Not all of us who are moving from "sunny climes" are unfamiliar with the PNW's weather!
Some of us have actually lived there, have experienced it in every month of the year, and, amazingly, STILL want to move there!!!

Thank you PollGlott. The ages of your children may have an impact. But you seem to know what you're getting into.

My points are for those who have not lived a full cycle here. I can only speak from that perspective, as our family is not from here. Our family grew up boating, playing tennis, eating all our meals outside.

For those to whom the darkess and inside-ness is not an issue, this post is not for you. My warning are for like-minded, outdoors, sunny-climate people. Not everyone will fit that bill.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:25 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,533,678 times
Default When you complain about the weather right now...just know it could be worse!

Check out this heat wave map for next week!

'Massive heat wave' on way; Okla. tries prayer - Weather - msnbc.com

Old 07-16-2011, 08:32 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,533,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxwellSeattle View Post
Thank you PollGlott. The ages of your children may have an impact. But you seem to know what you're getting into.

My points are for those who have not lived a full cycle here. I can only speak from that perspective, as our family is not from here. Our family grew up boating, playing tennis, eating all our meals outside.

For those to whom the darkess and inside-ness is not an issue, this post is not for you. My warning are for like-minded, outdoors, sunny-climate people. Not everyone will fit that bill.
I guess it depends on the family. We bought a cabin cruiser with a camper canvas so we can boat no matter what the weather. The best part is, it can start out cloudy and mizzly and then by the time we have front row parking at Dukes, the sun is out.

My kids play soccer in the fall, baseball in the spring. Weather does not stop us and is often quite nice considering they used to do those sports in 90+ degress (fine too) but it's a little healthier when the temp is less. We ski in the winter and play golf and tennis in the summer. We kayak, we run, we hike...even if it's raining. They play outside rain or shine.

We moved here from TX. I loved it there but my husband could not take the heat and sun after 12 years of it. He had a ton of precancers removed over a 7 year period and just plain hated being out in the heat. He is much happier here. I have enjoyed living in both climates and have also spent time in Iowa (first 22 years of my life) and Colorado (4 years). I don't mind the PNW climate personally but I do get tired of people whining about the weather. I did when I lived in TX too (complaints of too hot non-stop). IMO, it's weather - I can't control it but I can control my attitude!!!

Old 07-16-2011, 08:50 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,706,185 times
Just curious, if you hate the weather complaints, why do you read the weather thread?

Old 07-16-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
I guess it depends on the family. We bought a cabin cruiser with a camper canvas so we can boat no matter what the weather. The best part is, it can start out cloudy and mizzly and then by the time we have front row parking at Dukes, the sun is out.

My kids play soccer in the fall, baseball in the spring. Weather does not stop us and is often quite nice considering they used to do those sports in 90+ degress (fine too) but it's a little healthier when the temp is less. We ski in the winter and play golf and tennis in the summer. We kayak, we run, we hike...even if it's raining. They play outside rain or shine.

We moved here from TX. I loved it there but my husband could not take the heat and sun after 12 years of it. He had a ton of precancers removed over a 7 year period and just plain hated being out in the heat. He is much happier here. I have enjoyed living in both climates and have also spent time in Iowa (first 22 years of my life) and Colorado (4 years). I don't mind the PNW climate personally but I do get tired of people whining about the weather. I did when I lived in TX too (complaints of too hot non-stop). IMO, it's weather - I can't control it but I can control my attitude!!!
That's the attitude! And it lasts about 3 years. We do all those things, too. Freezing little league, muddy soccer, jackets year round, boating and just staring at the water versus getting in, four months of golf vs 12...you name it. None is optimal. We'll never complain about too hot ever again. We have seen the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area