Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,687 times

Advertisements

Is anybody really better off living in a place that requires 'coping strategies' and pills to maintain your mental health? Sit back and think about that for a moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:34 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxwellSeattle View Post
I also agree with Stone on the coping strategies. We have done those, and they do help. From the decor, to becoming a marathoner (from just a 10Ker) to everything in between. Stone is right, social media is very detrimental, as you can see your family and friends enjoying MLB games in short sleeves, little girls wearing lovely Easter dresses while your daughter is in a parka, folks at the outdoor Symphony benefit along a sunny waterfront, etc. Not helpful.

For those who logged into this trhead wondering about the weather. My warnings are dead serious. If you do not like cold, soggy and dark, DO NOT, no matter how much they offer you (signing bonus, housing allowance, buying your old house, a suite at Safeco, you name it!) be perfectly aware that life here is hard and requires coping strategies for survival. It is not easy. Listen to the poster who had to modify her boat, listen to the poster who says s/he must get to Eastern WA regularly in order to make it. This is hard. Know that. Evaluate that. Be certain what you're getting into.

...and pray my house sells quickly :-)
I can only imagine the advice you would give people moving to Alaska....

Old 07-19-2011, 11:58 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Is anybody really better off living in a place that requires 'coping strategies' and pills to maintain your mental health? Sit back and think about that for a moment.
It's really no different at all from residents of Phoenix who must employ "coping strategies" for the heat waves that start in May and go through October most years, for example.

There is no "perfect" place to live that doesn't require some healthy adaptive response to adjust to the realities of life in that area.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:24 PM

287 posts, read 738,977 times
It's funny how people make harmless 40s-70s temps year round weather a huge deal... Sure its wet and gray, so what? Pfft...

Old 07-19-2011, 12:38 PM

82 posts, read 142,984 times
So far, this summer could be better, but I've been enjoying the low 70's temps for the most part.

My friend in Minneapolis is roasting right now, too hot to do anything outside. Pretty soon their winter will be coming and again, you can't go outside. Seriously, that place is like a ghost town from November to March.

I lived in Denver for a few years which really has some of the best weather anywhere. I miss it sometimes, but it's brown there 9 months out of the year and the beetle kill in the pine trees is currently ravaging the mountains across the state. The grass is always greener..

Old 07-19-2011, 12:54 PM

42 posts, read 146,572 times
Here in Cincinnati it is 91 degrees but "feels like" 105. Oh, how I'd love to be in Seattle right now. But that won't be happening for awhile... if ever.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:29 PM

236 posts, read 472,224 times
I think no matter where you live there is a relief period. Some places spring, some places Summer (Alaska and supposedly the Pacific coast of Wa and Or) some places fall or winter. My point Seattle doesnt get a sustainable relief period. That is why ppl like me have issue with weather. Right now in the Southeast its 100 but fast forward 2-3 months and it wont be 100. Or fast forward to Jan and it wont be 100. Now take Seattle. Fast forward 3 months and it will be cold overcast and drizzle about 10° colder. Fast forward Jan the same in the 40s. fast forward to May the same and in the 50s. This year July is the same in the 60s. So that should be considered no real variety besides overcast drizzle or overcast drier (Summer). My mom just arrived from triple digits and she likes this relief. If she stays 3 months if she can make it she will want to go back home. 40-60 dry weather is good for winter but come spring summer or fall ots time for the shorts and sandals and watersports. But I speak from a perspective of not sweating or winded walking up a flight of stairs or when it over 65° out.

Last edited by irrational exuberance; 07-19-2011 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-19-2011, 10:52 PM

287 posts, read 738,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
I think no matter where you live there is a relief period. Some places spring, some places Summer (Alaska and supposedly the Pacific coast of Wa and Or) some places fall or winter. My point Seattle doesnt get a sustainable relief period. That is why ppl like me have issue with weather. Right now in the Southeast its 100 but fast forward 2-3 months and it wont be 100. Or fast forward to Jan and it wont be 100. Now take Seattle. Fast forward 3 months and it will be cold overcast and drizzle about 10° colder. Fast forward Jan the same in the 40s. fast forward to May the same and in the 50s. This year July is the same in the 60s. So that should be considered no real variety besides overcast drizzle or overcast drier (Summer). My mom just arrived from triple digits and she likes this relief. If she stays 3 months if she can make it she will want to go back home. 40-60 dry weather is good for winter but come spring summer or fall ots time for the shorts and sandals and watersports. But I speak from a perspective of not sweating or winded walking up a flight of stairs or when it over 65° out.
Seattle is supposed to be in mid 70s to 80 and sunny, bone dry for few months. This is the coolest, wettiest, cloduies summer with coldest, wettest, cloudiest spring back-to-back since city began recording the weather of the area. I'm serious. In the southern states, drive for 500 miles, you get the same weather, same landscape, same old same. Here drive to ocean where weather never changes, to eastern washington where its hot and it is bone dry for 12 months of the year. What about snow? Yes washington gets a thousand inches of snow a year in the cascades...

Old 07-20-2011, 01:23 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
I've been in Pasco since Sunday for work. Won't be returning to Seattle until Thursday night. It's been nice and hot over here. Yesterday hit 94 degrees. It's a dry heat though, so it is very comfortable even at that temperature without all that humid nonsense. I HATE HUMIDITY!!!

I have already fallen in love with this area. I feel as though I'll be leaving home on Thursday, rather than returning to it.

BTW, today was overcast, but overcast here is very different from overcast on the western side of the state. Instead of the low, dark clouds they are very high, light clouds. It still warmed up to the upper 70s today, and the clouds did clear out completely about two hours or so before sunset. (We also had several sun breaks throughout the day too). The wind was blowing, but it was a very warm wind, not the chilly type like Seattle. It's been absolutely perfect here these last few days I've been here, just what a summer should be! (And also unlike Seattle, they get real winters here too!).

Edit to add: at night, it's been hot enough for me to sleep without a blanket, but not so hot that I can't sleep. I'm loving this true summer over here!

Last edited by cjg5; 07-20-2011 at 01:38 AM..

Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,826,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
Only non-natives (and transplants who have done good research and don't mind this type of weather) need a "coping strategy." Yea, I want to move to Eastern Washington to escape the rain and to have guaranteed seasons, but even if that doesn't work out for me as I'd like it to, I know I could continue to live in Western Washington without a "coping strategy" as I've already been doing it for all my 26 years of life so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area