Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 01:55 PM

236 posts, read 472,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
all three pictures are from around 12 pm. Partly cloudy day has nothing to do with half cloudy half sunny. It means the cloud cover is between 40 and 70%. That's why I don't like the US stats. It's deceptive. The European one is much better - total hours of sunshine. Oh and I didn't know days had 24 hours sunlight
I wasnt aware that cloud cover or clear skies disappear when the sun sets. Its just like the moon and stars we cant see it during the day but we know its there.

Last edited by irrational exuberance; 07-21-2011 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: clarifying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Seattle averages 71 sunny and 201 cloudy days. The difference is 130 partly cloudy. So if I use the same calculation Miami is one of the cloudiest places in USA - it averages 115 cloudy+175 partly cloudy = 290 overcast days You really don't understand what a partly cloudy day is

May 24, 2008 - partly cloudy day

July 18, 2009 - partly cloudy day

May 10, 2009 - partly cloudy day

Should I keep going?
You also said this which I am interested in where your referencing source is.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:11 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
I wasnt aware that cloud cover or clear skies disappear when the sun sets. Its just like the moon and stars we cant see it during the day but we know its there.
they don't measure the cloud cover after sunset and before sunrise. It's pointless. It can't be sunny at 2 am. They only measure the precipitation and the temperature when it's dark

Old 07-21-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
You also said this which I am interested in where your referencing source is.
NOAA's National Weather Service

you can also use

http://www.beautifulseattle.com/

They use weather.gov for their monthly summaries

Old 07-21-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
they don't measure the cloud cover after sunset and before sunrise. It's pointless. It can't be sunny at 2 am. They only measure the precipitation and the temperature when it's dark
Actually it can be sunny at 2am. Land of the midnight sun (Alaska) in June and July. And I am familiar with Beautiful Seattle. You should tally the number of cloudy days thus far this year and you will see the total is well on its way to the averages 240 overcast days and 308 cloudy days. Fyi the Western Regional Climate center breaks down the days by overcast and clear.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:35 PM

overcast and cloudy are synonyms but I am going to stop arguing with a radio channel that can't hear you

Old 07-21-2011, 02:45 PM

I think its good to use facts to accurately portray the weather here. Too often its peoples feelings or "it could worse" or "be happy your here and not...." mentality that distort the perceptions of weather here. Its good for those new to the area or who have been here a while to get the complete picture. Fyi the websiteI quoted indicateSeattle gets 226 cloudy (overcast) days.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:46 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
This is true for May and June mainly (June gloom the same for San Diego). But in July and August this tendency is not present except this year so far
AND last year - and other years as well.
It also tends to be true MANY YEARS for September and early October (late October of course the rains have come so nice weather is "gone").

MOST years July & August are reliably nice (the ONLY months that are so) but NOT every year - and for those of us who like a bit more sun/warmth it's bitterly disappointing to survive through the 10-month gloom looking forward to that short 2-month window when the days are "reliably" sunny and warm - only to have it NOT HAPPEN.

As I've said many times here - I don't really mind the wet, dark winters, but I REALLY feel cheated when we don't really get much of a summer (which is not all that LONG to begin with).

Ken

Old 07-21-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I think its good to use facts to accurately portray the weather here. Too often its peoples feelings or "it could worse" or "be happy your here and not...." mentality that distort the perceptions of weather here. Its good for those new to the area or who have been here a while to get the complete picture. Fyi the websiteI quoted indicateSeattle gets 226 cloudy (overcast) days.
According to you Seattle only gets 16% of sunshine per year which is far from the truth. The real percentage is between 43 and 47 depending on the source. If Seattle has 308 cloudy days, then using the same logic Miami has 290 but everyone knows Miami is a sunny place. You have to use the same method when measuring cloudy days.

This is an interesting table. Miami only gets 74 sunny days but it averages 70% of sunshine a year How is this possible? Very simple - because it gets A LOT of partly cloudy days when the sun actually shines. It's the same thing for Seattle and every other city in the world. That's why I said European method of measuring sunshine is much more accurate than the US one. But I don't expect you to understand this

http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...est-cities.php

Last edited by Botev1912; 07-21-2011 at 05:00 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
According to you Seattle only gets 16% of sunshine per year which is far from the truth. The real percentage is between 43 and 47 depending on the source. If Seattle has 308 cloudy days, then using the same logic Miami has 290 but everyone knows Miami is a sunny place. You have to use the same method when measuring cloudy days.

This is an interesting table. Miami only gets 74 sunny days but it averages 70% of sunshine a year How is this possible? Very simple - because it gets A LOT of partly cloudy days when the sun actually shines. It's the same thing for Seattle and every other city in the world. That's why I said European method of measuring sunshine is much more accurate than the US one. But I don't expect you to understand this

Sunniest US Cities - Current Results
First off, relax were talking about the weather not insulting each other. Its not black and white. Cloudy or sunny. There are clearly levels of clear days 0-30% clouds. There are levels of partly cloudy 40-70%, and lastly overcast 80-100%. Clearly they distinguish the days. Seattle has 307-8 days a year with atleast 40% cloud cover and 58 days with 30% or less. We also cant generalize cloudy days also meaning hey Miami has x amount of cloudy days and is sunny therefore Seattle is the same. Its not even close there are several other factors to include temps and clearing up after rain etc. Just like Seattle is below the national average of sunshine in winter and summer. This very sight confirms that.

But again we both observe the weather and dont control it so no need to take it personal. Notice I dont try to attack you or tell you what you do or dont understand. Funny a poster talking about this very thing within the last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area