Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 11:10 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,033 times

Advertisements

Beautiful sunny blue sky this morning over the lake - but coooooooooold! Had to pour hot water over one of the outside doors to unfreeze it ...
Guess I'm not in So Cal anymore!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergraystate View Post
In case you need more convincing on how rare days like yesterday and today really are.
//www.city-data.com/top2/c475.html
Fantastic! Those rare days are what makes it worth it. Even the worst days there are better than the best days in Houston as there is so much to do in the area.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Neither, those are in Canada. Someone on this forum told me they were the Golden Ears, and another photographer here in town said Canadian Rockies. So, I don't know what they are, but they're impressive to see!
No - those are not in Canada - not if that photo was taken in Seattle. No Canadian peaks are visible from here. They are certainly NOT the Canadian Rockies (considering that those are something like 1,000 miles away). They are either the Casades (if the shot was facing east) or the Olympics (if the shot was facing west).

People should note too that this picture was clearly "zoomed" and that the mountains don't really look that close in real life. It IS scenic here but not as much so as the photo would indicate.

Ken

Old 12-06-2011, 08:21 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
No - those are not in Canada - not if that photo was taken in Seattle. No Canadian peaks are visible from here. They are certainly NOT the Canadian Rockies (considering that those are something like 1,000 miles away). They are either the Casades (if the shot was facing east) or the Olympics (if the shot was facing west).

People should note too that this picture was clearly "zoomed" and that the mountains don't really look that close in real life. It IS scenic here but not as much so as the photo would indicate.

Ken
that pic was taken from Bellingham.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
that pic was taken from Bellingham.
OK, then that changes everything. In that case those could well be in Canada.
Thanks for the clarification.

Ken

Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
You are right though, the picture was taken with a telephoto lens, so it definitely looks more "compressed" than in person!

Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
OK, then that changes everything. In that case those could well be in Canada.
Thanks for the clarification.

Ken
LOL even if that picture was taken in Bellingham its not the Canadian Rockies. And BTW the Canadian Rockies are more like 400-500 miles NE of Seattle (not 1000 miles) if you went in a straight line. I don't understand why so many Americans call the Canadian coastal range the "Canadian Rockies". Must be ignorance of geography.

The coastal range in southern BC is merely an extension of the Cascades.

BTW you can see Mt. Baker from both Seattle and Vancouver B.C.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
LOL even if that picture was taken in Bellingham its not the Canadian Rockies. And BTW the Canadian Rockies are more like 400-500 miles NE of Seattle (not 1000 miles) if you went in a straight line. I don't understand why so many Americans call the Canadian coastal range the "Canadian Rockies". Must be ignorance of geography.

The coastal range in southern BC is merely an extension of the Cascades.

Yeah, they are clearly not the Canadian Rockies (I never said they were - but they could well be peaks in Canada) - and yeah the Canadian Rockies are roughly half the distance I quoted (I didn't mean folks to take the distance quote literally, only to point out that the Canadian Rockies are a long way from Seattle - wayyyyyy too far to be seen from here).

Ken

Old 12-07-2011, 04:34 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post

Is Mt. Baker the pointy one you can see to the north of Seattle? I remember seeing a peak when I was looking north in West Seattle over Queen Anne/Magnolia area that I had never seen before on my last visit in November...

Old 12-09-2011, 09:38 AM

604 posts, read 1,521,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
Is Mt. Baker the pointy one you can see to the north of Seattle? I remember seeing a peak when I was looking north in West Seattle over Queen Anne/Magnolia area that I had never seen before on my last visit in November...

Probably was Mt. Baker, (which is on the American side of the border). Although it could have been a different peak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area