Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I'm at just under 1400 feet, I think.

I don't really live around Seattle; I'm actually about 120 miles southeast of there. I just tend to hijack this thread because it's closer to home for me than the other, kind of generic, anywhere in the country weather thread.

I woke up to a beautiful - actually stunning - morning. We had a dusting of snow overnight, enough to cover the ground in white, which is just absolutely sparkling under the bright blue skies. Cold - about 29 when I got up but now up to about 34.

My heart goes out to all those affected by those horrible tornadoes. I know the season is just starting, but I certainly hope the worst is over. Makes my occasional complaints about my weather seem pretty lame in comparison to what some parts of the country (and world) experience.
I asked about elevation because you mentioned something about it snowing on the valley floor. I thought "cool, Seattle is getting snow again". Last year Atlanta got dumped on with snow, and it shut the state down. Weeks later you could go outside at night without a t-shirt, in February. Snow and bright blue skies look very beautiful in the morning. Actually, snow period looks beautiful.

Thank you for thinking about us down here in the Atlanta area and everywhere else where the tornadoes hit. I remember being at a church function and I heard threats of tornadoes. I later watched the rest of the tornadoes on TV. Where I live, in Kennesaw, I didn't see a tornado. However, Paulding County got hit, Roswell/Alpharetta area got hit, areas in North Carolina got hit too. One kid was sucked up into a tornado and lived to tell about it.

I remember hearing about the storms that hit the Pacific Northwest in December 2006. I asked some people to pray for the persons in the Pacific Northwest. I used to live there, so I feel some connection there.

One interesting weather event I remember reading about was the April snow that hit Seattle in 2008.

I lived in Everett for a few years and I heard someone mention a convergence zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
Its about 41 degrees according the the thermometer in my back yard right now, and it is a beautiful sunny day! There was snow on the lawn this morning though from a short overnight snowfall. Its all gone now though, it was just a very thin layer and was in patches.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Its about 41 degrees according the the thermometer in my back yard right now, and it is a beautiful sunny day! There was snow on the lawn this morning though from a short overnight snowfall. Its all gone now though, it was just a very thin layer and was in patches.
It's still in the chill phase. Cold enough for snow, but in the middle of the day it goes away.

I have one question: Why does it seem like few people want to talk about the snow of April 2008?

Old 03-06-2012, 03:44 PM

Sat out back in the sun earlier while my son played in the yard. It was so nice and the sun felt so warm. Definitely feels spring like out there today, and the sky is even clearer now than it was when I posted earlier! So nice!

Old 03-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's still in the chill phase. Cold enough for snow, but in the middle of the day it goes away.

I have one question: Why does it seem like few people want to talk about the snow of April 2008?
Off the top of my head I don't recall any significant snowfall in April 2008.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:51 PM

Just looked it up. Seems it was a convergence zone event, which explains why I don't particularly remember it. I was living in Burien at the time. If we got any snow there it either didn't stick or was slushy and melted quickly.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Off the top of my head I don't recall any significant snowfall in April 2008.
It was up in Everett

Local News | Seattle sees snow, hail, lightning: It's April, isn't it? | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times
I remember that snow. It was in Lynnwood, Edmonds, North Seattle. It did stick for 1 night and it was all icy and slippery. I remember because I was driving at midnight.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Just did a little research and I think that's what it was. I had never even heard that term until now. It was odd, I was walking on a trail in the woods and I could hear it falling all around me heating leaves and brush, to the point that it sounded like a fairly hard rain, but I wasn't getting wet at all. It was very strange.
Yeah, it's pretty rare in most places, but we get it at least once a year in my non-WA location.

Quote:
And whoever said it dry, go spend some time in 90 degree eastern Washington weather and then come back to this side and tell me its dry. Every time I head over that way, the first thing I notice coming back this side of the mountains is the extra moisture in the air. I can smell it, I can feel it, I can taste it. I don't like it. The drier air east of the mountains is so much better and a lot more tolerable, both in heat and in cold. Love it.
I got off a plane at SeaTac last summer (from super dry Colorado), and was dripping wet sweating by the time I got to the rental car. It was in the upper 50's/low 60's max -- much cooler than where I came from, but the more humid air did me in. Felt fine not long after that though.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:44 AM

84 posts, read 170,650 times
Default weather.com

I'm moving to seattle in august and weather.com says "showers" or "few showers" whenever it's supposed to rain. is that because they don't use the term "drizzle" or has it really been "showering" 10 out of the last 14 days? When i think of showers, i think of a torrential downpour for hours at a time because i live in d.c.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area