Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 09:00 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,650,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I feel guilty that my children are being raised in such a dreary place
As well you should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 10:43 AM

251 posts, read 572,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg5 View Post
Holy cow did anyone else hear that THUNDER earlier? The entire sky lit up brightly blue, and that thunder just seemed to roll on forever! I loved it, too bad it was just once. Would have liked more, I love thunder storms!
That was awesome! We're from the midwest and i miss thunderstorms so much.
It actually didn't even sound like thunder at first, but like a low flying airplane that was getting progressively lower.
I took me a bit to figure out what it was.
And as quickly as it came, it was gone

Old 03-19-2012, 12:04 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
So far I would consider today as sunny, although even if it stays like this for the remainder of the day, it wont be recorded as a sunny day, bit like partly sunny or mostly cloudy.

Today is also one of those deceptively cool days, where it looks warmer than it really is. At least to me!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:06 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
It really is 9 months of the year, no joke. It's a slow drizzle with thick grey cloud cover, very depressing for someone who is used to and loves sunshine. I used to live in NC, where I found the summers oppressively hot and humid -- but at least the other 9 months were comfortable and pretty. If you find yourself very affected by the sun, do not move here. Seriously. It is a great place to visit and has much to offer its residents, but the weather thing is a huge negative. I honestly feel like we live in a cloudy fishbowl -- and you can't take a short drive to escape it on the weekends, for the entire PNW is like this. I feel guilty that my children are being raised in such a dreary place, and worry about their vitamin D levels, but our lives are so enmeshed here (ie. jobs, schools). We focus on the positive aspects of living here (ie. no rednecks or Southern accents, out of the Bible belt, liberal culture, tech jobs, educated populace, abundant coffee shops, lovely nature, etc...)
The truth (as in supported by empirical weather data) indicates you ARE joking. At least qualify your statement by saying something like "it's the predominant weather pattern for much of the year" or "a thick grey cloud cover is more common that not". Your statement perpetuates the myth that the clouds arrive at the end of summer and do not leave until the following summer. I have never visited Seattle in the summer and I have seen more good days than bad days. Might just be my perspective though. I don't need it to be perfectly sunny and 75 to call it a good day. Partly sunny and 59 isn't bad to me.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
So far I would consider today as sunny, although even if it stays like this for the remainder of the day, it wont be recorded as a sunny day, bit like partly sunny or mostly cloudy.

Today is also one of those deceptively cool days, where it looks warmer than it really is. At least to me!
"Sunny?" What's that?

It's snowing here. Lightly - but snowing nonetheless.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:16 PM

I would consider today as sunny so far, but I'm sure even if the remainder of the day stays like this it wont be recorded as such, but as either partly sunny or mostly cloudy instead.

Today is also one of those deceptively cool days where it looks warmer than it actually is. At least to me anyway!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:19 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammyR View Post
Same here in Florida High 80s this weekend and hot even w/a breeze that ustblows the pollen down more. I think it will be a cool relief when I go out to Seattlke in a couple of weeks.But 60 would ne nice. What to apck?
Right now I'm begging for rain and cooler weather. I want the pollen washed away.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:25 PM

The upper midwest and into portions of southern Canada have set their 5th day in a row of recording breaking heat today for this time of year. Crazy weather all around!

Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 PM

314 posts, read 459,985 times
Quote:
I would consider today as sunny so far, but I'm sure even if the remainder of the day stays like this it wont be recorded as such, but as either partly sunny or mostly cloudy instead.

Today is also one of those deceptively cool days where it looks warmer than it actually is. At least to me anyway!
There's a modest amount of free and clear sun straight up, but the horizons is still full of gloom. I'd still characterize today as partly cloudy (as opposed to partly sunny). I lived in California - I know what sunshine and sunny days are supposed to look like. Seattle doesn't have it, outside of the 2 months of summer. (which, contrary to local belief, are not more glorious than other parts of the county. it just feels that way after you've been living in 9 months of damp gloom)

Old 03-19-2012, 02:05 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
In regards to humidity, remember there is relative humidity, absolute humidity and the dew point to take into consideration, so when someone says it's 'humid' it may or may not actually feel humid. Seattle does not feel humid to me, but that's because I currently live in Houston. Now there have been plenty of times where the weatherman will say it's humid outside, but to me it really doesn't feel bad. I learned quickly that it's not so much the humidity value to look for, but the dew point. The dew point is a better indicator as to how humid it feels outside. If the dew point gets into the 60s or 70s (or sticky 60s/sultry 70s as they are coined here!) then it feels awful outside. I've noticed Seattle's dew points barely get into the 50s at their worst, which means it really doesn't feel as humid. However, it probably feels humid to those who are not used to dew points worse than that.

I definitely agree with the argument that humidity makes it feel worse though, hot or cold, and I absolutely hate wind added to the mix. Ugh, Houston is always so windy so during the Summer it literally feels like someone is exhaling in your face constantly!! So gross!! They don't call the Gulf Coast the armpit of America for nothing!!!
I usually look at the dew point instead of the humidity figures. Also, if you look at the overnight low temperature, usually the dew point will be close to the same number, which in TN was useful when I wanted to know how miserable I'd be the next day. The average low for my hometown during July and August is around 69, and usually the dew point pretty much lined up with that, which of course is horrible if you hate humidity. Currently it's 82F there, and the high tomorrow is supposed to be 86F. I'm VERY glad I don't live there any more! I'd much rather have the 40s I'm getting here. Although they're getting a relatively low dew point there with those high temperatures, so it's not nearly as bad as it will be in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area