Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,268,448 times

Advertisements

The closer you are to Puget Sound the more moderate the temps will be. In the Winter temps close to the water are likely to be higher than areas farther in and in the Summer this is reversed.

Here's a link to a map of WA state historical rainfall. You have to head to the the Olympic Peninsula or Whidbey Island to find the rain shadow.

http://www.wamaps.com/maps/precipitation_map.gif
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 01:25 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,817 times
To answer your 2nd question, yes heating is available in all homes and apartments. It depends on your comfort level if you would need heat when it's 60 degrees outside. What we do in our house is just set our thermostat at 65 degrees, and no matter what, if it drops below that in the house the heat comes on. Our place warms enough during the day just from the sun that on days like this heat doesn't turn on during the day, but at night when it gets down to 50 or even into the 40's as it does this time of year the heat will come on a couple of times.

And as was also mentioned, the east side suburbs will have less of the moderating effect from the Puget Sound as you get farther from the water. For example, I live in Lynnwood- which is not far from the Sound- but work in Redmond, over on the east side. On colder winter mornings it may be 37 or 38 degres at my house, but when I get to Redmond it would be 31 or 32 with frost on the ground. And in the Spring and Summer when warmer weather arrives, it may be 67 degrees in Lynnwood while it's in the mid 70's in Redmond, again because they are farther from the water.

This is not always a solid rule because winds blowing in from the east or southeast can mostly do away with the cooling effects of the water in the Summer, but it's a good general rule to go by.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:31 PM

214 posts, read 649,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Do some areas of Seattle and the surrounding areas get slightly less rain?

Also, is heating always available when you rent an apartment? Do you need heating if the temperature is 60F like at the moment?

Depending on how far from Seattle you are looking if you are worried about rain you could move to Sequim wa across the water. They are in what is called a rain shadow and average 15" or less a year (about the same as LA) but it is a a smaller town.

Heating in WA is always available and when its warm you just turn it off lol most people have a programmable thermostat any ways so if the sun is heating the house to your set temperature or hotter the heat will not come on.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:34 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,123 times
Thanks! I do not mind the 30s in winter, since I am moving from Ohio where it is usually in the 20s or less.

In summer, I prefer at least 60 F, so it seems like the further east I am the better my chances of getting that kind of temperature in summers.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:07 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Do you need heating if the temperature is 60F like at the moment?
hahaha. I probably need A/C right now because it's 77 in my room

Last edited by Botev1912; 05-25-2010 at 11:50 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 AM

166 posts, read 443,016 times
This last winter we had a pretty mild one, lot of warmer sunny days. The winter before was nice and cold, and I loved it. It snowed where I lived and it kept snowing for two weeks, a rare treat. I like the long dark nights, and the rain, but when spring comes I enjoy the sun and warmer weather for a little while. Last summer we had a long stretch of 90+ weather, and it got to be 91 in the house. No A/C, yuck, and we are 20 minutes south of Seattle, so you see there is a wide range of weather patterns all over the Puget Sound. My partner would like to keep the house above 70, she doesn't like the cold at all. She would be happy with a year round temp in the mid 70's.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:11 AM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
The average temp in the Seattle area does not vary much. However, if the further away from major bodies of water you are, you will notice a couple of degree temp difference in the summer, and winter, as the water moderates the temps. Beyond that, don't expect much change. One exception would be the the area north of Seattle and south of Everett, known as the "convergence zone", where weather can be be wildly unpredictable in both temp and precip due to storm systems "converging" from both the south and north. It is is a weird weather area, but usually is short-lived.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:38 AM

615 posts, read 1,075,496 times
Warm? What's that?

Old 05-28-2010, 04:44 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
The foothills are generally warmer when it's warm, colder when it's cold. By 5 degrees or so.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:47 PM

615 posts, read 1,075,496 times
If you're not from here you probably won't be able to distinguish any temperature difference anywhere in western washington except on the coast (windy)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area