Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 03:01 PM

195 posts, read 377,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Even nicer today. We hit 70 degrees (a new record). Extended forecast actually looking pretty good to (for a change) with mostly above average temps.

Ken
Yeah what an awesome day. We stopped on the way to Costco, pulled into the local cycle store, bought 2 bikes & helmets, went home and out for a 2 hr bike ride. Simply awesome weather all weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 03:03 PM

195 posts, read 377,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
What do you know. It was only partly cloudy, which means a terrible day by your standards. It won't be in bold next time when you quote the stats
...is that mostly partly cloudy or partly mostly cloudy heh heh.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:17 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
today was officially mostly cloudy despite the fact it was completely bright and sunny until 4 pm.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,687 times
Quote:
today was officially mostly cloudy despite the fact it was completely bright and sunny until 4 pm.
Contrary to what you think you saw, the solar radiation data measurement at UW on 4/9 says otherwise.
http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~neal/uwp/noon_local_centered_20120410_24hr.png (broken link)

For comparison here's 4/7 where it was almost completely clear until late in the day.
http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~neal/uwp/noon_local_centered_20120408_24hr.png (broken link)

But if you're still not happy with the way the data is colected and categorized, you should send a strongly worded letter to the national weather service. They would love to hear from you.
Contact Us - NOAA - National Weather Service

Last edited by evergraystate; 04-11-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 04-11-2012, 12:07 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
I told you why sunny days are recorded as cloudy. They don't care if the sun is shining 70% of the time. They care that there is cloud cover 80% of the time. But I don't have problems with that. I liked the weather in the last 10 days. Even today is nice in my opinion.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:52 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,981 times
Well these last couple posts are a pretty good summary of this thread. Even when the weather is nice in Seattle, some folks will still complain. Seriously, lay off the hard core rooftop data a bit and just enjoy a sunny day. Oops, I meant, a mostly cloudy day.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:12 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Well one thing's for sure: nobody would claim it's sunny in Bellingham today.

(At least not on my end of town. With the way the sky looks, I wouldn't think it would be sunny on the north side, but you never know.)

Old 04-11-2012, 04:23 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
I told you why sunny days are recorded as cloudy. They don't care if the sun is shining 70% of the time. They care that there is cloud cover 80% of the time. But I don't have problems with that. I liked the weather in the last 10 days. Even today is nice in my opinion.
For someone who claims he doesn't have problems with that, you sure seem to make it a big deal about it recently. Perhaps you should write to them and tell them to include the sunlight percentage to accurately gauge the weather and give the general public a better notion of the Seattle weather. You've been making comments Oh, they labeled today as mostly cloudy even though the clouds were white and it was bright. Oh, they labeled today as cloudy even though it was sun shining til 4. Oh, look at this cloud coverage... it makes it seem worse than it actually is.

"Cloudy" doesn't necessarily denote that it's dark colored clouds-- just that there were clouds. Cloudy doesn't necessarily denote that there were no sun or that it wasn't bright... but that's not they're focusing on when they gauging the cloudiness-- they're looking at the clouds!

We already know there can be clouds and still be bright.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:42 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
For someone who claims he doesn't have problems with that, you sure seem to make it a big deal about it recently. Perhaps you should write to them and tell them to include the sunlight percentage to accurately gauge the weather and give the general public a better notion of the Seattle weather. You've been making comments Oh, they labeled today as mostly cloudy even though the clouds were white and it was bright. Oh, they labeled today as cloudy even though it was sun shining til 4. Oh, look at this cloud coverage... it makes it seem worse than it actually is.

"Cloudy" doesn't necessarily denote that it's dark colored clouds-- just that there were clouds. Cloudy doesn't necessarily denote that there were no sun or that it wasn't bright... but that's not they're focusing on when they gauging the cloudiness-- they're looking at the clouds!

We already know there can be clouds and still be bright.
We know that, and I believe Botev has no problems with the weather. I think he was just trying to make a point.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Well these last couple posts are a pretty good summary of this thread. Even when the weather is nice in Seattle, some folks will still complain. Seriously, lay off the hard core rooftop data a bit and just enjoy a sunny day. Oops, I meant, a mostly cloudy day.
Yeah, I mean the reality is that whatever weather is happening is happening. It doesn't matter if averages, etc. say it's not normal for this time of year, etc. If it's sunny outside, it's sunny. Who cares about data? Get out and enjoy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area