Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 09:17 AM

872 posts, read 2,021,579 times

Advertisements

Feel free to head to Texas, Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, etc. anytime!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 09:22 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,381,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
Why do you think Seattle reacts so strongly and violently when someone b*tches about the weather?
Because people have been commenting about the terrible weather since the 1500's, it's kind of a known factor by now.

I can't think of a single early explorer who DIDN'T complain about the weather. In fact, you can find several examples of early exploration being severely hindered by the weather, both the Columbia River and the Straits of Juan De Fuca were missed due to it. Early Settlers on Alki Point MOVED to their settlement to what is now downtown Seattle because it was marginally better protected from the weather.

And then they had the audacity to still complain about it the weather!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,254,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Wait are we talking about the weather... or the people?

I think we can be more efficient here and bash the people who complain about the weather and Seattle Freeze all in a single thread. Who's with me???

Just for the record *I* was not complaining... just wondering if today was really unusual or not (now what seemed unusual were the past 3 weeks of sun we've had). Personally, I'm always glad to see clouds drape over the Issaquah Alps. Touchy people tonight.
No no, I was speaking more generally, not pointing anyone out. It did get cold quite suddenly from Seattle to San Diego. It was 85, then it was 60, just like that.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:06 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,867,566 times
You do realize with 53 degrees and cloudy, tornadoes are impossible! I personally loved the weather this past month - every day of it!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,611,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That may be true, and also, people just love to complain about the weather here. Wait until August when we start getting complaints about how hot it is at 82.
And I will be one of them. Seriously, being in this climate has spoiled me. I don't think I could ever go back to Texas.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,611,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
Do you guys realize that in every other city you're allowed to complain when the weather is sh*tty? And most others will join you in it? Why do you think Seattle reacts so strongly and violently when someone b*tches about the weather?
Maybe it correlates to the education levels??? I don't know. Individuals feel they have to come out and educate those about how they should or should not be feeling based on "real" data. Or everyone is just in a bad mood or so socially disoriented that they don't know how to relate to others over the weather???

Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
It's weird it's above 60 and sunny in Anchorage
Weather has gone crazy. last week when Seattle was 80, San Diego was 65 to 68. I actually posted that in the weather thread where WA was the hottest state in the country.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
You do realize with 53 degrees and cloudy, tornadoes are impossible! I personally loved the weather this past month - every day of it!
There are cold weather funnels. We get them in CA.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,335,075 times
Just appreciate the weather we have. I love how the colors are deeper and more saturated in the rain. I love days like this where you can watch the clouds dancing across the Olympics and the Cascades. I love the cool, bracing wind and the sound of the rain on the skylight over my desk. And the smell of damp earth. It smells like spring. And if you're lucky enough to be in the mountains in the spring, there are few more relaxing places to be than next to a roaring creek in the woods on a rainy day.

The weather is neither good nor bad, it simply is. When you complain about the weather you are revealing something about yourself, that you can't adapt and appreciate the fact that you're alive to see this.

Watch the clouds. Look across the Sound. The Olympics looked like a painting this morning. There were shafts of white sunlight breaking through the clouds and brightening up parts of the east side. Look at how well everyone's plants and gardens are doing this year. The warm weather brought them up, and now the rain is helping them grow.

There are plenty of worthwhile things to complain or whine about, but complaining about something that you have absolutetly no way of changing instead of appreciating how it contributes to making this wonderful corner of the earth so spectacular is just dumb.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:52 AM

180 posts, read 319,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
And I will be one of them. Seriously, being in this climate has spoiled me. I don't think I could ever go back to Texas.
Agreed!!! After spending my whole life in Florida and the past 5 years in Houston, I for one can't wait for the cooler weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area