Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 06:32 PM

225 posts, read 643,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
I think, those of us who moved to Seattle partly because of the weather and who experienced and had to put up with weather in places like Midwest, Texas, Arizona, Southeast, Florida and pretty much everywhere else in the country including most major US cities have learned to appreciate and love Seattle's weather and other great thing this region offers. PNW is a magic place to be!

Yes. That's true for us. We've endured 11 months of swamp a$$, greasy sweaty skin, and heat rash each year for many, many, many decades. This has been the best June of my entire life!

(waits for forum curmudgeons to bring up winter/rain/gloom)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 07:56 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
For all of you heat lovers out there, it looks like we might get as hot as the mid to upper 80s towards the end of next week.

I can live with that for a day or two...just as long as it doesn't get as hot as last year!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Seattle and Portland are within the Oceanic Moist climate. Cool, wet winters, mild summers. Portland is a bit further south. Seattle, the northernmost major city in the USA(besides anything in Alaska), has longer summer days than most places in the USA, and the summer is a bit sunnier than any other time. This means the weather stays nice for about 16 or 17 hours. In the winter, daylight is reduced to about 7 or 8 hours. This is the rainy part of the year. The clouds and fog makes the twilight shorter. This means in the winter, the days are dark and the nights are very long. If a person is not a fan of dark, cloudy weather, the winter migth get to that person. Me, I find something kind of interesting with it getting dark early. I would say the amount of daylight between the two cities makes a difference.
I've been to Washington twice but not Oregon, although the first time I was there was southern Washington (a town called Napavine). When I went to Napavine, it was July and I remember it not getting dark till about 10pm. When I was in Seattle it was mid-September so the days would have been shorter. I am familiar with the climate zones and how they work. This is actually one of the things that appeals to me about Seattle.

PL, since I've yet to be there in winter, how early does it get dark? I'm guessing about 3:30pm or so. I have no problem with darkness as I really dislike bright sunlight (don't ask why I'm, in SoCal lol). Am I right with my guess?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:08 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
how early does it get dark? I'm guessing about 3:30pm or so. I have no problem with darkness as I really dislike bright sunlight (don't ask why I'm, in SoCal lol). Am I right with my guess?
3:30 is a very good guess. I'd say, it's between 3:30 and 4:00 pm in the winter.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
3:30 is a very good guess. I'd say, it's between 3:30 and 4:00 pm in the winter.
Ok, thanks movingwiththewind. I could deal with that. It's about 4:30 in the Bay Area. When does it get light? I'm guessing about 8 or 8:30 am?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Ok, thanks movingwiththewind. I could deal with that. It's about 4:30 in the Bay Area. When does it get light? I'm guessing about 8 or 8:30 am?
No, I think a little earlier than that. 7:30-7:45 at the worst?
But being dark and cloudy a lot that time of year, it doesn't get very light.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
No, I think a little earlier than that. 7:30-7:45 at the worst?
But being dark and cloudy a lot that time of year, it doesn't get very light.
That's not bad at all. I can deal with that. I've recently applied for jobs in the Seattle area so I've been a bit more hopeful lately that I just might get there.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:20 PM

24 posts, read 44,143 times
The weather is equally miserable in the winter for either Seattle or Portland. Since you have the urge to move there, and are able to, why not? It's not that far of a move, and the worst case scenario is you'd move back to Portland. I'd personally factor a weather change as maybe 10% (max) into the decision to move, if at all. Any time I've driven between the two cities, the weather is largely the same. Actually, I just looked at weather.com and the conditions are identical between Seattle and Portland, haha.

Just follow your gut instinct and do what you feel like doing. They say that people regret the decisions they didn't make much more than the decisions they did make that turned out unfavorable.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:33 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
I've been to Washington twice but not Oregon, although the first time I was there was southern Washington (a town called Napavine). When I went to Napavine, it was July and I remember it not getting dark till about 10pm. When I was in Seattle it was mid-September so the days would have been shorter. I am familiar with the climate zones and how they work. This is actually one of the things that appeals to me about Seattle.

PL, since I've yet to be there in winter, how early does it get dark? I'm guessing about 3:30pm or so. I have no problem with darkness as I really dislike bright sunlight (don't ask why I'm, in SoCal lol). Am I right with my guess?
When I was living there, it would get dark before 5pm, but not at 3:30pm. 3:30pm darkness happens in Alaska. In Seattle, the sun sets around 4:19pm. From my memories in kindergarten, I remember coming home around 3pm during the winter. 2 hours later it was already dark. This was before the first day of winter officially started.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
When I was living there, it would get dark before 5pm, but not at 3:30pm. 3:30pm darkness happens in Alaska. In Seattle, the sun sets around 4:19pm. From my memories in kindergarten, I remember coming home around 3pm during the winter. 2 hours later it was already dark. This was before the first day of winter officially started.
Oh that's not bad at all. Only about 30-40 minutes different than in the Bay Area actually. I guess the overcast skies make it seem earlier? I've had my share of that too. Thanks for educating me on this aspect. It's certainly not as bad as the doom laden warnings of darkness I've read suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area