Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2010, 12:31 AM

225 posts, read 643,960 times

Advertisements

Coming from Florida, take what Ira500 is saying about uncontrolled growth as fair warning. Trust me, unless you've lived through it, you don't know how harmful it is and how it can wreck a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 10:44 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
Seattle isn't already overpopulated?

Seems I've been hearing that it was since the 1960s...

We grew up on the eastside--you know, dry, rural, sunny...my sister moved to Seattle after college (yep, the black sheep of the family) and now has lived there nearly 30 years. She says she's mostly adapted to the long gray wet winters...but, she says it does still get to her, even after all that time. She says going to the eastside to see family makes it worse...seeing the sun again.

It is wetter than I care for. You can't rightly say it isn't humid, but live in the South awhile, and you'll laugh at Seattle humidity.

But, you do have to say this for the Seattle area...when the sun's out...it is absolutely glorious there....for my money, the most beautiful city in the US.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
skinem:

Good job at making Seattle's weather/climate sound depressing when its cloudy and rainy! Your sister can see the sun in Seattle!

Clouds and rain can be great. I think its just that Seattle sometimes have too many all at once, but there are still a lot of great things about the weather/climate in Seattle.

Weather can "get to someone" wherever someone lives. My family that lives in New York state got negatively affected by the hot weather there lately.

Seattle isnt overpopulated compared to certain other places.

mod interpose: Please keep the subject of this thread about weather and climate. Overpopulation posts that have nothing to do with weather/climate will be removed. Thanks.

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-03-2010 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-03-2010, 01:26 PM

304 posts, read 850,919 times
Last time I was in Seattle during winter it rained everyday. It was actually beautiful, but the thing that bothered me was how quickly it gets dark during the winter. You're thinking, 'maybe I'll take a walk at 5.' If you wait around half an hour before heading out, you'll be shocked to see that it's already pitch-black outside. Dusk lasts for about 15 minutes so be prepared for that.

It's gorgeous when the clouds break after a rain. You actually get used to the rain, so much that most locals don't carry umbrellas unless there's a storm out.

Like someone else said, the weather is only for a certain type of person. I couldn't stand the stifling heat and humidity of the south. The arid heat of Arizona was unbearable to me, although some people love it. The weather back east is so cold in my opinion that it's actually painful, but Washington has the most comfortable climate I've ever experienced in the U.S. Once you have been under gray skies for awhile, you get used to it. The hard part is when it's been nice and sunny outside and then you look up and see that thick cover of dark gray clouds rolling in. It actually feels demoralizing. If you can handle that, I say go for it but have no illusions.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:36 PM

563 posts, read 1,787,456 times
Default Should we just skip summer and go straight to fall?

WTF?!?! I don't know where spring went, it feels like it's been an extended dry winter till now. It's July 3 and 60 degrees, shouldn't it typically be around 80? I'm thinking we should just skip summer this year and call it fall right now.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:59 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
WTF?!?! I don't know where spring went, it feels like it's been an extended dry winter till now. It's July 3 and 60 degrees, shouldn't it typically be around 80? I'm thinking we should just skip summer this year and call it fall right now.
While June was rainier and cooler than normal, summer is scheduled to start next week with temperatures hitting the mid to upper 80s.

June is never a reliable summer like month here in the Seattle area...

Old 07-03-2010, 08:04 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
YOu know how they sell big coffee mugs at Starbucks and you can get the ones with a etching of Seattle ? On the back of the large mug are the "statistics" of Seattle.

I saw this mug the second year I lived there - it said the AVERAGE temp in July was 67.5!!!!! (If I had only known before moving there)

So 60's sounds like it could be typical.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:37 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
Not everybody digs overcast days... I do. I'm a native, so take it with a grain of salt.

I love sunny days too, don't get me wrong. They seem extra glorious when you're coming out of a dark Northwest winter, when everything is shimmering green trees and blue water.

It truly isn't for everybody, and I wish people would come to grips with that. Just like boiling heat and a dry landscape isn't for everybody... or a lack of real seasons... or stifling humidity. To each his own.

A drizzly day prevents you from doing nothing much more than sunbathing. You can run in it, you can ski in the mountains, you can even play volleyball if you're so inclined... just be prepared for it.

I'm not a believer that people who don't like it 'get used to it'. You either can deal with it or you can't in my experience. I go nuts if I'm in LA or Phoenix for more than a few days, just like some people go nuts if they don't see the sun for a few weeks. Not sure you can change people's stripes.
I agree with a lot of this, especially the last paragraph. I thought I would like the constant sunny weather when I moved to San Diego. I did like the overcast skies and rainy winters of the Bay Area but thought the sunbelt would be a nice changed. It isn't. Not for me anyway. The days here in SD always start out overcast but then that blazing sun comes out. I would love for it to be like that the majority of the time. Having nice summers would be all the break I would need.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:38 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Wow I just realized how old this thread is.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:13 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Gentoo, it's actually a new topic merged into an old one. Topic "its been 273 days since it hit 70s" or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area