Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 06:48 AM

312 posts, read 732,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I can tolerate 80 if the humidity is very low, but I definitely don't like it. My ideal temperature range for outdoor activities is 45-65. Florida winters actually sound too warm to me.

Yes! You can actually breathe at those temps and enjoy.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 07:53 AM

9 posts, read 11,104 times
Ok I've been researching Seattle for most of the year and I have Seattle on my weather app so I see the conditions pretty much every day..having said that I'm still waiting for the 9 months of rain and darkness because I'm just not seeing it. Has this been an unusually nice year or is this just a rumor to keep the place from being any more over populated? I'm actually from Phoenix but I can't stand the heat and even the bright sun in my face all the time is annoying to me so I think I'd love the weather here. Oh and don't worry if the weather is seriously as amazing as it seems to me over the last year I'll gladly keep up the rumor that it rains nonstop to keep more from coming if I do decide to move out that way

Old 12-18-2013, 09:11 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
Ok I've been researching Seattle for most of the year and I have Seattle on my weather app so I see the conditions pretty much every day..having said that I'm still waiting for the 9 months of rain and darkness because I'm just not seeing it. Has this been an unusually nice year or is this just a rumor to keep the place from being any more over populated? I'm actually from Phoenix but I can't stand the heat and even the bright sun in my face all the time is annoying to me so I think I'd love the weather here. Oh and don't worry if the weather is seriously as amazing as it seems to me over the last year I'll gladly keep up the rumor that it rains nonstop to keep more from coming if I do decide to move out that way
Well, I was reading something the other day about how we are 50% below normal on precipitation since October 1......so, yes, it could be considered a little "unusual."

That said, I do think the weather/rain is somewhat exaggerated.

It is wet and dreary here today - and foggy. But the last weather forecast I saw indicated that we'll see a couple of days of this and then it should return to more sun and temps in the forties. Works for me!

Old 12-18-2013, 09:44 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
As Cinebar said, it is wet but if it actually rained, like what most know as rain, I'm not even sure if a city would have been built there. You see, there are the March and November storms which are sometimes called the spring and fall storms because the March storms may last into May and the November storms may start in October. Then there's the mid-winter "mizzle" which is just wet enough to soak you and just enough wind to make it thorough. Sometimes there will be Thunderstorms in August and light warm rain in June. July is usually pretty nice for a few hours here and there. And that's how easy it is to exaggerate the rain LOL

But yes, the entire west coast, including western Washington is below normal rainfall so far this year.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:33 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
I was reading just yesterday how this is looking like a near record setting OCT-DEC for dryness. This year is odd because September was our wettest month, and September is usually still pretty dry. I can't prove this, but it's really all because I moved up here. I change the weather in a place. I've lived in Hawaii for near record rains. When I moved to Orlando I was greeted by 3 hurricanes over a 6 week period. I had just moved to San Diego when the bad fires happened. I was in Europe this past summer for record flooding. Technically I moved to the Seattle area in April. We went to Europe for a couple of months but we moved up in April. That's when this weather got turned on its head. It all began in April. April was the 2nd wettest month this year. It's also when summer began. We had temps in the high 70's on Whidbey in April. I think it eclipsed 80.

It's all me

Old 12-18-2013, 11:22 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I was reading just yesterday how this is looking like a near record setting OCT-DEC for dryness. This year is odd because September was our wettest month, and September is usually still pretty dry. I can't prove this, but it's really all because I moved up here. I change the weather in a place. I've lived in Hawaii for near record rains. When I moved to Orlando I was greeted by 3 hurricanes over a 6 week period. I had just moved to San Diego when the bad fires happened. I was in Europe this past summer for record flooding. Technically I moved to the Seattle area in April. We went to Europe for a couple of months but we moved up in April. That's when this weather got turned on its head. It all began in April. April was the 2nd wettest month this year. It's also when summer began. We had temps in the high 70's on Whidbey in April. I think it eclipsed 80.
It's all me
Well, thanks a lot, DJ.
Bah humbug!!!!!

Old 12-18-2013, 11:52 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post

It's all me
That makes two of us but I tend to drag heat where ever I go. if I were still in WA, not only would it be drier than normal but it would be much warmer than it should be too.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:35 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,720 times
Quote:

Well I sure don't know the answer and others have already weighed in, but it has been really nice weather IMO. After a great summer, I was ready for rain to start and be an issue everyday starting November 1st. Instead it has been mild and blue skies many days, except for a one week period of cold. It's my first winter here and so far it has been completely different than what I read before moving.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:43 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Well I sure don't know the answer and others have already weighed in, but it has been really nice weather IMO. After a great summer, I was ready for rain to start and be an issue everyday starting November 1st. Instead it has been mild and blue skies many days, except for a one week period of cold. It's my first winter here and so far it has been completely different than what I read before moving.
September had about the same amount rain that November usually gets. I didn't think September was that bad though. Maybe it's just me, but it seems as if the hard rain usually happens at night. I've seldom been outside during the day and had more than a spit. We can't go by this year though. If this weather pattern were to continue for several more years.....well say hello to the Bay Area II. The weather has been quite pleasant.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
This isn't to say the weather probably isn't for you-- it might be... but then it might not be. I can't say. There's been people who say they are indifferent to weather and even those who say they love rain and cloudiness (but are not from nor really experienced cloudy and/or rainy regions) that end up scrambling out because they can't hack it.

What you see on paper (and app) simply isn't the same as being in it. You're not getting the darkness aspect because you're not living in it, having to experience it everyday. Some years are better than others. I always find it curious when people say "but I thought you said (whatever month) is (whatever adjective)-- and its not." The weather really isn't static; everything that's said is what you can generally expect. Personally I think people need to give it at least 3 years to really get it.

For me, the best years in Seattle are the El Niño years where it's dry and sunny. After some 20 odd years of Seattle, I'm ready to go and dry out. I've been in TN for awhile and finally regained my natural complexion (deep olive toned), I actually don't have people coming up to me asking if I'm tired or sick anymore. I was pretty wan and I have purple skin around my eyes which has that effect of concerned people coming up to me, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area