Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 12:32 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
Last year was not a fluke. We basically traded an earlier end to summer (Sept is normally much warmer & sunnier than last year) for an earlier start (May & June were as nice as they've been here this year).

Just so you know, the marine layer phenomenon persists in places like San Fran & San Diego, too... it's a function of being on a large body of salt water. It beats the hell out of relentless, cooking sunshine from sunup to sundown. Nothing better than going for a 7am jog this time of year... perfect temp, humidity, everything. And then you can wear shorts.
There is a strange phenomenon that goes on up here regarding the weather. It goes like this:

JULY

Me: Wow, the weather is amazing
Native: This is very unusual.
Me: Are you saying that July isn't usually warm and sunny?
Native: July normally is, but Summer started early this year.
Me: So this is actually typical weather for July and not unusual at all.
Native: ..........silence.

SEPTEMBER (5 times rainer than normal)

Me: Wow, it's pretty rainy this month. I thought it would still be good at this time.
Native: Welcome to the PNW
Me: So are you saying that September is usually rainy like this?
Native: I've seen this before.
Me: OK, but do you usually see it this rainy in September?
Native: No, September is usually pretty good.
Me: Oh, so this IS unusual.

FEBRUARY AND APRIL (Record rainfall totals)

Me: Wow, it's been pretty rainy. I thought it would start improving by now.
Native: Welcome to the PNW
Me: So are you saying that February and March are always like this?
Native: I've seen this before.
Me: OK, but do you usually see it this rainy at this time of the year?
Native: No, it usually starts to get better.
Me: Oh, so this IS unusual.

In a nutshell, people are quick to point out when we have unusually good weather but getting them to admit when the weather is unusually rainy is like pulling teeth LOL. You'll often hear how summer started early but have to pull teeth to hear someone say it ended early. You'll often hear how winter was much drier than usual but have to pull teeth to hear someone admit February and March made up for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 07:25 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
^^And don't forget the short memory when it concerns good weather. It can be sunny and brilliant for a week, then it rains for a week and people seem to have forgotten all about the week of nice weather we just had, saying things like, "Ugh, I hope we finally get some good weather soon! This constant rain for months and months is driving me crazy."

Old 06-06-2014, 08:39 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
I heard someone say 2 weeks ago: "Finally I saw the sun. I hadn't seen it for weeks"

Old 06-08-2014, 02:13 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
^^And don't forget the short memory when it concerns good weather. It can be sunny and brilliant for a week, then it rains for a week and people seem to have forgotten all about the week of nice weather we just had, saying things like, "Ugh, I hope we finally get some good weather soon! This constant rain for months and months is driving me crazy."
Or even if it just rains for a couple of days after it's been sunny for a week!

Old 06-08-2014, 02:19 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,571 times
We had RECORD rains earlier this spring. Doesn't change the fact that the overall weather has been fantastic since May started. We just got a lot more huge dumps of precip than usual.

I think I was only 2 summers ago where we didn't hit 75 degrees until July. I think we hit it at least 4 times in May this year.

Last summer started early, ended early.

This summer has started early, without question. Let's see if it hangs on until Columbus day instead of Labor Day.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:39 PM

634 posts, read 897,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
We had RECORD rains earlier this spring. Doesn't change the fact that the overall weather has been fantastic since May started. We just got a lot more huge dumps of precip than usual.

I think I was only 2 summers ago where we didn't hit 75 degrees until July. I think we hit it at least 4 times in May this year.

Last summer started early, ended early.

This summer has started early, without question. Let's see if it hangs on until Columbus day instead of Labor Day.
I would have welcomed the record rains but was stuck in the rain shadow and had gloom most of the time which is what does it for people. If it would at least do something on those cloudy days the climate would be more tolerable, even during the summer.

OTOH, I live in Redmond where its 5+ degrees warmer on those sunny days and it makes a big difference without any sea breeze, so the occasional cloudy streak can be welcome.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:55 AM

36 posts, read 52,508 times
Cool Beautiful weather

Since Memorial Day, the weather here has been incredible. It feels like summer started early this year. I've been getting so much sun it almost feels sinful.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:10 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,825,288 times
Weather lately has been fantastic. It was supposed to rain today, glad it isn't, especially since it is my day off. I think we are in for a very glorious and very warm to hot summer! *knock on wood*

Old 06-11-2014, 04:01 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
I spent a week in the Northeast, and now I am freezing here

Old 06-11-2014, 04:17 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,761 times
Why is there a thread for making people feel better about how bad the weather is in Washington. LOL It's the weather not your personality, don't take offense when others are living in nicer climates. Oh you point out that our state has terrible weather ooohhh how dare you. Come on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area