Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 10:16 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times

Advertisements

I moved here 28 years ago after university in Vermont, spent quite a bit of time in Boston too. First of all, winters are no where near as cold as New England. It doesn't rain very hard here, it just kind of socks in and get drizzly for awhile, Edinburgh Scotland-like. In fact, if you think of it like that, cozy up with a book and mix in some winter sports (skiing only 1 1/2 hours away), the weather (for most Seattleites) isn't that bad at all. The complainers are usually people who come from somewhere else and try to make Seattle weather into the weather that existed where they came from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 10:36 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
It doesn't rain very hard here, it just kind of socks in and get drizzly for awhile, Edinburgh Scotland-like. In fact, if you think of it like that, cozy up with a book and mix in some winter sports (skiing only 1 1/2 hours away), the weather (for most Seattleites) isn't that bad at all.
I love to read as much as anyone, but six months is a long time to cozy up with a book.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:46 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I love to read as much as anyone, but six months is a long time to cozy up with a book.
That's funny, that kind of weather just doesn't last that long though.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:48 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
Many of us love the weather. I come from a place with harsh summers and pretty brutal winters, so Seattle continues to be my version of paradise. Soothing grey clouds, misty air that feels good on your face, it's always a great temperature for activity - not too hot or cold. If you love outdoor sports, the winters are the best. Gear up for damp, and you'll have the mountains to yourself for much of the year. Summers are crowded with fair weather enthusiasts, but it doesn't take getting up too early to beat them to the trail.

However some people really - I mean really - lose it after a couple years of grey winters and short days. SAD is serious, and not to be taken lightly. It's a very real possibility, so the best thing is to know yourself, or at least be prepared with a backup plan for what you'll do if the weather starts to wear on your mental health.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:49 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgdfgsdgf View Post
Give me a bit of an overview. I currently live in Boston. Is it that bad? Worse? If I want to hike and get outdoors, how likely will I be able to do that?
It rains in Seattle pretty much from September through June. Only it isn't even a real rain. It's like living inside a particularly wet sneeze for 10 months out of every year.

Spokane or Boise would be more to your liking.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:50 AM

127 posts, read 107,328 times
I came out here from Southie almost a decade ago and I found the mild winters and warm but also mild summers to be a welcome improvement over New England weather. I still love it here and find myself outside much more often than I did back East. Of course YMMV.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:19 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
There is a reason ( sadly) that Western Washington has a lot of self induced deaths in fall winter. Be prepared and careful of advice from those who profit from people moving here.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
There is a reason ( sadly) that Western Washington has a lot of self induced deaths in fall winter. Be prepared and careful of advice from those who profit from people moving here.
See? People die from the rain here.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:11 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
The problem is the short dark winter days, not the weather. (In compensation, however, we get long glorious summer days.) True of any "northern" city - Seattle is on the same latitude as Labrador (although the Japanese Current keeps us a good deal warmer).

If you want to wear shorts and a t-shirt ten months of the year, it might not be the place for you. If you are like me and hate both freezing snow and sweltering heat, the weather is just about perfect.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:23 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IMO reports are exaggerated. I'm originally from CA, lived in Sea. over 20 years, and never had a problem with the weather. It can't possibly be as bad as Boston, because it rarely gets any snow, and when it does, it's usually pretty light.

That said, the weather patterns are changing. The prognosis for the future is that late fall/winter will be rainier, and summers will be dry, dry, dry. And weird heat waves have been happening the last few years. A sign of the times. Still, it's probably better than the extreme winters the NE has seen the last couple of years.

The thing that seems to bug people the most, is the very short winter days. You go to work in the dark, and come home in the dark. But the days already start getting longer by the New Year, so if you focus on the days lengthening, you can get through it. It also helps to get outside on the weekends and do some winter sports, while there's daylight. That seems to help psycologically.
You are right, things do seems to be changing. May was very warm and very dry, I just got back into town after being away for Memorial Day and it is a little drizzly, but overall it seems summers continue to dry out (dry grass here, FIRES in Central WA) during summer. We had a couple days pushing 90 in early May and I fully expect similar all summer. The long ramge forecast is for a hot dry summer again, seems 80s-90s is getting more prevalent in July and August these last 12-15 years.

Does make for some AWESOME summer days up in the No. Cascades and Deception Pass in early a mid summer though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area