Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 05:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,565 posts, read 57,481,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I usually enjoy the cooler weather days and the light rain around here; it keeps the air clean and fresh. It's only in April that the gray overcast season starts to grow old and I'm ready for some sunnier days.
Good for you, I start suffering as soon as the days start getting shorter (June 22!!! before summer actually even starts in PNW... = July 5).

Nov - April are the tough ones for me (thus in 2018 I have accumulated over 35 'PNW escapes' since Jan 1 (70+ air flights) Driving...= an additional 10+ trips; 2 hrs EAST! or 10 hrs SOUTH)

At least April brings color (flowers / tulips / crocus...)

I grew up on the prairie, so any drop of moisture is foreign (hindrance) to me (outdoors every minute of daylight). Light blizzarding / blowing horizontal snow, twisters, endless sunsets, and extreme nearby lightning is quite a bit more familiar (but each are absent in PNWe_t)

We each have our challenges.
Be HAPPY if you have an indoor job or hobbies / interests, and you do not have livestock / farm needs that require you to get soggy all day, every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 07:42 PM

1,018 posts, read 503,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I read the other post which said looking for a conservative city not on the west coast with a low cost of living and easy commute. Seattle is so liberal that Trump only got 8% of the vote. And we're on the west coast. And we have one of the highest cost of living in the country. And a half hour commute means living right in downtown Seattle. And it rains here a lot and when it's not raining it's overcast. July and August are the only two reliably sunny months each year. People with SAD buy lights to treat it and when that doesn't work, they flee to sunnier places like Arizona. We don't check any of those boxes.

OP asks question about Seattle weather, proceeds to bring up Trump in her post. The Trump obsession is real. To answer the OP's question, it can get pretty rough in the winter with the dark, low hanging overcast days and super early sunsets, but over the course of the last month or so, the weather has been absolutely gorgeous, and it does not get fully dark until around 10:15PM or so right now. This part of the country is beautiful.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:49 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,338,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfgdfgsdgf View Post
Give me a bit of an overview. I currently live in Boston. Is it that bad? Worse? If I want to hike and get outdoors, how likely will I be able to do that?
You can get outdoors and hike anytime you like. Just don't expect it to be sunny and dry. You should invest in a good set of oilskins if you're coming here. Also expect to pay $2000 a month for a jail cell that has bums and crackheads screaming outside your door all night. No parking unless you want to pay for a space in a lot which can run as high as 250 a month.

Really dude. Seattle is rapidly becoming a has been. Spokane is the next big thing or even Boise Idaho.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:57 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,379,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
You don't want to be around come October, they only thing on your mind is how the %$# do I endure 5 more months of this ****.
Is that why suicide rates are high in the Pacific NW?

Old 06-05-2018, 08:06 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
OP asks question about Seattle weather, proceeds to bring up Trump in her post. The Trump obsession is real. To answer the OP's question, it can get pretty rough in the winter with the dark, low hanging overcast days and super early sunsets, but over the course of the last month or so, the weather has been absolutely gorgeous, and it does not get fully dark until around 10:15PM or so right now. This part of the country is beautiful.
Clearly this is Trump’s fault, he knows seattle hates him so he orders HAARP to mess with the weather in Seattle to create more rain and gloom in winter, and more wildfires in summer.

I heard he also fuels Trump towers with babies and child labor

Old 06-05-2018, 11:26 PM

1,018 posts, read 503,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Clearly this is Trump’s fault, he knows seattle hates him so he orders HAARP to mess with the weather in Seattle to create more rain and gloom in winter, and more wildfires in summer.

I heard he also fuels Trump towers with babies and child labor
Lolololol crying. Thanks for that.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:24 PM

240 posts, read 192,346 times
Been here for couple of years and I actually like the Seattle weather. It's a bit tough between Nov- Feb (4 months), with the drizzle, cloud cover and short days. Starting March 11th.. the days starts getting longer with 7pm sunset, so even if it's cloudy in the day, it doesn't really matter. I would take the 8 months in Seattle vs any other city. In fact weather is pretty bad from Nov- Feb in most parts of the country.. with heavy snow in Boston, NYC and Chicago and cold weather even in southern cities such as Atlanta and Charlotte.

What helps during Nov- Feb is the relatively cheap flight options to San Franc, LA or Vegas.. I have found round trips for around $150 for all of them.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:53 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,737,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquetraveler View Post
Been here for couple of years and I actually like the Seattle weather. It's a bit tough between Nov- Feb (4 months), with the drizzle, cloud cover and short days. Starting March 11th.. the days starts getting longer with 7pm sunset, so even if it's cloudy in the day, it doesn't really matter. I would take the 8 months in Seattle vs any other city. In fact weather is pretty bad from Nov- Feb in most parts of the country.. with heavy snow in Boston, NYC and Chicago and cold weather even in southern cities such as Atlanta and Charlotte.

What helps during Nov- Feb is the relatively cheap flight options to San Franc, LA or Vegas.. I have found round trips for around $150 for all of them.
I think that is well-stated.

When I grew up in Seattle, I always thought of that winter cloud blanket as just that, "a blanket"...kind of comforting and reassuring. Hence, I still enjoy those memories today.

The thing about Seattle that many miss is it has a remarkably unpredictable winter pattern. While on average, Seattle gets little snow and cold, it does have great variability. As in severe winter weather every so often, usually spaced apart, but sometimes back to back. A winter can go snowless one year, and then dump a foot or more the next. I don't think this is only an anomaly in Seattle, I would perhaps throw other major US cities into a similar category...(Cincinnati, Nashville, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Atlanta, even Dallas).

Seattle generally has a mild, rainy winter, but is certainly exposed to cold winter storms, like many other cities that don't get a lot of snow.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:37 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,711,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Is that why suicide rates are high in the Pacific NW?
That is a myth. Washington isn't even in top 20 suicidal states
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...tes-in-us.html

Old 07-04-2018, 06:50 PM

12,961 posts, read 7,330,828 times
https://www.spaceneedle.com/webcam/ Webcam panning camera. checkout current weather and past weather. I'm going to use this for tonights 4th fireworks over Lake Union.

or this one https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/usa/wa...ttle-city.html
https://video.nest.com/live/lhHW8v
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area