Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 04:24 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times

Advertisements

Stays pretty green year round here in Seattle. I like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 04:26 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
I'm originally from Philly also. I found Denver winters overall quite mild.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:09 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Growing up here in Seattle the first part of my life and moved back when in the US Navy for Two more years.
I like the change of seasons and yes it did rain and get gray, even snows at times here in Seattle area. It snows more in Eastern Washington, on the other side of the Cascade Mountains. That never bothered me so I believe it is how your feel without seeing the sun for a long period of time.
When I transferred away to Hawaii to complete my tour in the Navy. I said I will retire back in Washington.

Denver in the winter gets more snow, fluffy snow, but also more sunny days in between the storms. I have friends from Denver so just repeating what they say about Denver.
Best of luck in your search.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:41 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quite a difference. And for good reason due to where these cities sit in North America.

Seattle has an oceanic climate with most of the weather heavily influenced by the Pacific. This usually means very subtle temperature changes from October to March. A constant temperature, much rainfall, occasional snow when conditions change for short periods. Very little freeze, but does occur occasionally.

Denver is a high altitude, semi-arid continental climate with huge changes during the winter. This usually means not very subtle changes from September to May. In fact, it can go from 70 one day in winter to 20 the next day.

Denver has more sunshine in winter than Seattle, but also has more snowfall. But, mentioned above, the snow sometimes is gone within a few days.

Temperatures are colder at night in Denver, but highs can pop up into the 60's or 70's even in January. Seattle is more consistent with generally upper 40's to low 50's in winter.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:55 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrick92 View Post
I am from around the Philly area, and the winters here tend to bother me. Specifically, the short grey days and complete lack of foliage and color in the landscape really get me down.

After doing a bit of digging, I've found that Denver's winters tend to be a lot sunnier and milder than what I am used to. I don't actually mind snow, but i'm not in love with the idea of having snow in May or October.

I've also heard that Seattle can be rather grey in the wintertime, but I did have a question on how things look. Besides the sky, do things tend to get that same ugly brown and grey color as they do in the east in terms of the grass, trees, etc? Where I live, 99% of trees and shrubs are deciduous and so are completely bare in the winter. It seems like Washington has a lot of pine trees, which tend to help things look a little less depressing.

Thanks for your help.
There are lots of evergreen trees around Seattle, so to some extent, it stays green. Does have short days in winter, though.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:01 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Quite a difference. And for good reason due to where these cities sit in North America.

Seattle has an oceanic climate with most of the weather heavily influenced by the Pacific. This usually means very subtle temperature changes from October to March. A constant temperature, much rainfall, occasional snow when conditions change for short periods. Very little freeze, but does occur occasionally.

Denver is a high altitude, semi-arid continental climate with huge changes during the winter. This usually means not very subtle changes from September to May. In fact, it can go from 70 one day in winter to 20 the next day.

Denver has more sunshine in winter than Seattle, but also has more snowfall. But, mentioned above, the snow sometimes is gone within a few days.

Temperatures are colder at night in Denver, but highs can pop up into the 60's or 70's even in January. Seattle is more consistent with generally upper 40's to low 50's in winter.
See Above.....

Having spent only a little bit of time in both Seattle and Denver...but lived in Vancouver BC and Wenatchee.......

DENVER....don't even think about Seattle if your concerned about the weather.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:36 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are lots of evergreen trees around Seattle, so to some extent, it stays green. Does have short days in winter, though.
grass is dormant for a short period, but stays green through the winter. Amazingly, some Seattle residents let it die during the summer, knowing full well it will return.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:38 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,190,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrick92 View Post
I am from around the Philly area, and the winters here tend to bother me. Specifically, the short grey days and complete lack of foliage and color in the landscape really get me down.

After doing a bit of digging, I've found that Denver's winters tend to be a lot sunnier and milder than what I am used to. I don't actually mind snow, but i'm not in love with the idea of having snow in May or October.

I've also heard that Seattle can be rather grey in the wintertime, but I did have a question on how things look. Besides the sky, do things tend to get that same ugly brown and grey color as they do in the east in terms of the grass, trees, etc? Where I live, 99% of trees and shrubs are deciduous and so are completely bare in the winter. It seems like Washington has a lot of pine trees, which tend to help things look a little less depressing.

Thanks for your help.
Colorado has 300+ sunny days a year. Seattle has between a 100 and 200. Though this year will be over 200. Freak weather for Seattle. (So I'm told) Colorado has no color compared to New England. Especially in the winter and in altitude above 9500ft.

Seattle will blow your mind in the winter. When you walk into a forest here, EVERYTHING IS GREEN!! It's crazy but true!

BUT!!

It gets grey here quit a bit. So it all falls on how you would process the weather....

Old 05-17-2019, 09:48 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,324 times
Lived in Colorado Springs for seven years. Biggest difference in adjusting here, imo, is the relative humidity level. It can be 10 degrees in Colorado and 10% humidity and if the sun is shining it just doesn't feel that horridly cold. But here when it's 40 degrees, 97% humidity, and a brisk wind I find that that kind of cold just cuts through me. I've been cold all winter here.

The snow in COS/DEN is pretty easy to deal with. The state and cities all have equipment to get things plowed (at least main roads) pretty quickly, most folks know how to drive on the snow, and it usually doesn't last long. Yes, Colorado Springs' biggest snow month is April, but it's gone in 2-3 days.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:30 AM

3 posts, read 10,377 times
Thank you all for the awesome responses! These were really great answers. I'm getting a good picture about what winters in Seattle and Denver are like.

Seattle seems like it is green (miss, trees, grass) but dark and cloudy. Definitely getting the sense that people who suffer from SAD may want to think twice due to the time of sunset and weather.

Denver, though there is going to be much more snow, is much sunnier overall and relatively easy to manage. The ability of the snow to melt quick and variety of temperatures and sun also help a lot.

This is a tough one guys. I love green lush landscapes, but I also love the sun! Maybe I should visit both places in the winter and get some sense of what works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area