Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 01:52 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,253,329 times

Advertisements

Thunderstorms like the one shown a couple of posts above is very common in the summers here in Florida. In fact, we probably get a couple of thunderstorms like that weekly. However, it is rare to rain like that all day. It may last a couple of hours on a heavy rainy day. Usually though, a heavy thunderstorm like the one shown above may last about 1 hour with much less rain before and after the heavy thunderstorm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,537,862 times
I kind of hope we get good snow this year - at least in the Cascades. I was spoiled in 2008-2009 with all the good snow to ski on. Last year was kind of a bummer skiing wise.

I really don't mind the weather here. It's so beautiful even when it rains. You just have to get the right gear and get out in it!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 13 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,926,035 times
To texastrigirl:

How do you feel about the days that are cloudy where it doesnt rain or it barely rains, or when its cloudy more than 3 days in a row?

I like Pacific Northwest weather a lot of the time, always defend it, and find plenty of positives about it, but I usually dont like those cloudy days where it doesnt rain or barely rains, and when its cloudy more than 3 days in a row.I actually wish Seattle got 20 more inches of rain per year but with the same amount of clouds or much less clouds, and have it rain whenever its cloudy.

I love days where it is cloudy and rainy for at least an hour as much as sunny days. Three days ago I loved the weather because it rained decently, but disliked the weather two days after that because it was cloudy but didnt really rain.

I also want there to be snow in the Seattle area this winter.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:35 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
I kind of hope we get good snow this year - at least in the Cascades. I was spoiled in 2008-2009 with all the good snow to ski on. Last year was kind of a bummer skiing wise.

I really don't mind the weather here. It's so beautiful even when it rains. You just have to get the right gear and get out in it!
That is the thing about the state of Washington. If one wants snow, there are the Cascades.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:38 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To texastrigirl:

How do you feel about the days that are cloudy where it doesnt rain or it barely rains, or when its cloudy more than 3 days in a row?

I like Pacific Northwest weather a lot of the time, always defend it, and find plenty of positives about it, but I usually dont like those cloudy days where it doesnt rain or barely rains, and when its cloudy more than 3 days in a row.I actually wish Seattle got 20 more inches of rain per year but with the same amount of clouds or much less clouds, and have it rain whenever its cloudy.

I love days where it is cloudy and rainy for at least an hour as much as sunny days. Three days ago I loved the weather because it rained decently, but disliked the weather two days after that because it was cloudy but didnt really rain.

I also want there to be snow in the Seattle area this winter.
My stint in the Pacific Northwest saw some great memories regarding the weather. The summer time was nice enough for me to go outside and not feel like I was roasting. The rain didn't really bother me at all. Cloudy weather didn't matter to me either. I just went outside and played. I remember rain, but it rains more in Georgia.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,773 times
Default In love with Seattle! Advice?

Hi everyone,
I just returned from a week in Seattle and I have absolutely fallen in love with the city. I am so impressed with how clean and green the city is, and everybody I met seemed to be so nice! It seemed like the perfect combo of nature/city...
I may be relocating in a year or so when I finish grad school--wondering what else you can tell me about the city or if you have any tidbits to consider when choosing whether Seattle will be my next home?
I've lived in MN all my life and am looking for a change...I loved the weather while I was there (PERFECT summer weather!), but I was wondering if you can tell me what the weather is like the rest of the year (temp, precip, etc)...does it really live up to the dreary rainy gloom that people always talk about? And is it like that the majority of the year?
I'm thinking that even if it does...it can't be any worse than the 6 month long snowy, freezing winters in MN! At least Seattle is green all year round (right?).
Also--what are the best areas of Seattle to live in? Would be looking for a single family with lots of character, not too far from the heart of Seattle, in the $350k range.
Basically any info you can share about Seattle that would be good to know for someone thinking about moving there.
Thanks!

Old 08-13-2010, 05:09 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,879,329 times
We have a weather thread stickied at the top of the board... read into that and do keep in mind everyone experiences the weather differently.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:16 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,778,682 times
The best areas of Seattle to live in conflict with your $350k range estimate. Gotta pick one or the other.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
The best areas of Seattle to live in conflict with your $350k range estimate. Gotta pick one or the other.
Okay then, can you just give me the best areas to live? Thanks

Old 08-13-2010, 10:41 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,353,923 times
Summers are usually absolutely awesome in the Seattle area. Seattle gets about 38 inches of rain per year, and very little snow. December 2008 Seattle was buried in snow, but that's the exception, usually it's a couple of pretty minor snows...The rain is the heaviest November, December, and January, where we get about 18 of those inches....Can be pretty nasty in the winter, but a lot warmer than Minnesota. I think in January you might get 10 days of steady, fairly hard rain, 10 days of off and on drizzle, 8 days of dark and cloudy, and 3 days which have intermittent sunshine. Moss does very well around here.
Where to live depends on what you like. To some, best is a quiet area with water views. Others like a little more going on, and value being able to walk to shops and restaurants. Some value the character of a house, and want to live in a neighborhood where houses have character, even if they're not the most affluent neighborhoods. You can find all of that not too far from the heart of Seattle.
I'll throw out a few:
1. Ballard. Everybody lives in Ballard. Popular, kind of fun, kind of hip, has Trader Joe's and Whole Foods isn't too far. It's like that old Yogi Berra line " nobody goes there any more. It's too popular."
Ballard is a pleasant place, but a decent house will run more like 450.

2. Wedgwood. Not far from the University, just a nice neighborhood a little more affordable than other nearby 'hoods.

Closest residential neighborhoods to downtown would be First Hill, Capitol Hill, North Beacon Hill, Queen Anne, The Central District, Interbay, and parts of West Seattle.
First Hill is almost all apartments, with just a few old single family homes, Capitol Hill has plenty of houses, especially the further east you go, North Beacon is improving and has cool old houses, and most of West Seattle is just awesome.
There are also a number of places maybe a 20 minute drive from downtown Seattle that are far more affordable than most places within the city. These places include Shoreline, Lake Forest park, Renton, Burien, Des Moines, and a few others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area