Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2007, 07:51 PM

75 posts, read 344,457 times

Advertisements

I've read the last few posts and would like to give my 2 cents.
First off those pictures that are posted show what the summer is like... Beautiful.. But, I do have to agree it's a short summer. From mid July to mod Sept it's gorgeous!!! There are a few weeks in may and June which are quite nice too! The late fall to late spring are very gray and very wet. I know this is what keeps everything so green! On a sunny day there is no better place to be than here.

Now that being said, It rains alot. Not a down pour, just drizzles which can last for days. I lived here my whole life until I was married than left for Arizona. I lived in Arizona for 5 years and warmed up to the sun very fast. I miss the sun terribly!

I believe it's all perspective. Everyone has different experiences. I think you have to make the most of anywhere you live. I'll tell you though I do like the heat and don't mind hot days. It's actually is quite humid in Arizona in July and August. It's not Texas humid but not dry either.

I can see both side of the coin, It's very green and the mountains are absoultely majestic in Western Wa. Arizona has it's own beauty. Truth be told, I'd rather live there. However I realize western Wa is a great place to live and I'm embracing the lifestyle.

Good luck to everyone whether they are starting an adventure here or elsewhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 05:00 PM

23 posts, read 134,487 times
Default Raining in Seattle

Hi, I am a China student and is planning to study in college. Is it always raining in Seattle. What's the difference (temperature and education) between WA & CA. I am choosing the colleges in Seattle & Sacramento.

Anyone can help me. Thanks

Old 03-06-2007, 05:31 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Sacramento is drier and much hotter in the summer.

Seattle gets a lot of rain in the autumn and winter. Summers are actually quite dry.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:17 PM

31 posts, read 217,086 times
It is 20 below here in Toronto. My university closed early on Thursday and stayed closed Friday because of the snow storm which then turned into freezing rain and ice pellets. Today the whole city and surrounding 'burbs are covered in a sheet of ice. There was a 75-car pile up on one of the major highways last night. Chunks of ice measuring 4 feet by 8 feet are falling off the top of the CN tower (which is 1800 feet high), and they have closed the surrounding streets so nobody gets killed.

I am dreaming of Seattle, where I can go without my thick, shapeless wool coat that reaches down to my ankles, and where I can start a collection of colourful and funky umbrellas to match any outfit I feel like wearing. I can't wait to drive my car with my low-profile rims and get rid of the ugly snow tires that now adorn it for 5 months of the year. I can't wait to feel the drizzle on my face, instead of those little ice pellets that look like rain until one hits you in the eye and you're temporarily blinded.

Rain? Bring it on! I just bought the cutest waterproof trench coat from Banana Republic that I can't wait to wear.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:01 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times
Sounds like you are set!

Old 03-08-2007, 06:26 PM

642 posts, read 2,551,280 times
Sacramento I was told was boring & would have a lot of governmental people working there. Seattle is fun and very open minded. Seattle is going to have long misty, drizzly rainy periods. That is the majority of the time either a rain front moving in or moving out. People go about there business as usual though and if the dreary clouds dont get to you Seattle is wonderful. A lot of people dont mind and the nature can usually make up for it. It is beautiful and just a drive to Canada to Vancouver BC and Victoria BC.
UW is a really good school also.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:54 PM

46 posts, read 379,945 times
Seattle has more rain than Sacramento, but it does not rain every day. When it does rain in Seattle, its usually a light drizzle, not a torrential downpour.

The summers in California are very hot. The summers in Seattle are warm, but not too hot.

Seattle has a large Asian population, I'm not sure about Sacramento.

I like Seattle better.

Have fun!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 PM

416 posts, read 2,509,824 times
Default Rain is not all that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianstudent View Post
Hi, I am a China student and is planning to study in college. Is it always raining in Seattle. What's the difference (temperature and education) between WA & CA. I am choosing the colleges in Seattle & Sacramento.

Anyone can help me. Thanks
Sacramento is overpriced, there's too many people and a lot of problems. Seattle is pricey; however, it is better because it is not as crowded as major cities in California. Education is good in both states. I would suggest you visit both places to get an idea of where you want to stay.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:17 AM

23 posts, read 134,487 times
Dear members,

Thanks for the information. I am checking both WA & CA. Thanks a lot

Old 03-09-2007, 09:45 AM

139 posts, read 636,211 times
I've lived in both areas and would choose Sacramento hands down. I would do exactly as suggested though. Check them both out first if you can. It's March now. You really want to check out Seattle during the rainy season... Let's see that would be easy. Don't visit in the summer

I have to say my last visit to Seattle in October 2006 was very disappointing. Traffic and construction was nightmarish. For me anyway. It does have it's +++'s but just wasn't for me anymore. I moved from there in 1997 and boy have things changed. I was shocked to see a 2nd Tacoma Narrows bridge being built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area