Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2007, 11:33 AM

341 posts, read 1,019,362 times

Advertisements

I spent a weekend once in Sacramento and it was amazing how much it
reminded me of the land-locked praire country of Central & North Texas !
That's not bad, I was just surprised to find a part of CA that reminded me
so much of a part of TX.
Regarding rain and Seattle and the NW in general. Being from Texas, I assure you it really doesn't rain up there. It's more of a gentle, almost delightful mist
that occurs a lot of the time. But it's not the precip that's the problem IMO, its the long, prolonged periods of overcast, "sun less" skys.
I worked 7 months back in '99 in Olympia (50-60 south of Seattle on the Pugent Sound), and we would go weeks at some stretchs without seeing sunshine !
That's was a big downside for me, but the upside is full of tremendous culture
and spectaular scenery throughout the NW country. Some of the best on this continent ! Almost as infinite variety of things to see and do !
Do they still have that "Bumper Pool" weekend in Seattle ? Maybe it was Labor
Day weekend ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 12:09 PM

46 posts, read 380,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Do they still have that "Bumper Pool" weekend in Seattle ? Maybe it was Labor
Day weekend ?
www.bumbershoot.org/ ?

Old 03-10-2007, 02:20 PM

139 posts, read 636,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
But it's not the precip that's the problem IMO, its the long, prolonged periods of overcast, "sun less" skys.
I worked 7 months back in '99 in Olympia (50-60 south of Seattle on the Pugent Sound), and we would go weeks at some stretchs without seeing sunshine !
That's was a big downside for me, but the upside is full of tremendous culture
and spectaular scenery throughout the NW country. Some of the best on this continent ! Almost as infinite variety of things to see and do !
Agreed. My sister-in-law says another "Pineapple Express" is on it's way.

Old 03-11-2007, 01:34 PM

433 posts, read 2,357,043 times
The comparison comes down to whether you are a sun person or rain person. And whether you are a big city person or smaller city person.

Both Seattle and Sacramento have rather large Asian (and Chinese) populations. UC Davis is a very good school (if that is your choice). So is U of WA. I think overall nearby cultural things to do would favor Seattle. Sacramento is fine though and not too far from San Francisco.

School year weather would definitely favor Sacramento. Warmer and much more sunshine. Summer weather would favor Seattle. Very nice indeed.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:48 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,902,847 times
Sacramento and Seattle have different weather. I can't stand anything that's anything like a desert; I am from the Great Lakes region, and being in the middle of Illinois is punishment enough. Salt Lake, Denver, Phoenix ... too hot and dry, even when the sun is merely out on a spring day. Heck, I think think it's warm in Illinois compared to Michigan.

I know a grad student here who did undergrad at UC Davis. He liked it.
I have been through Sacramento, but I did not stop in Davis.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:10 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,706,292 times
HI Asian Student - I saw your post on the Sacramento board - and you were looking at Sierra College - so you will be considering a Community College up here in Seattle?

As far as education of Community Colleges they are about the same - I will say UW is a great univeristy, but I'll tell you this

My husband went to UW and I graduated from Sac State (state college), and I make more then him...so it doesn't matter what school you go to, it matters what you do with your education.

That said, Seattle is more of a college town, Sacramento is more a family town (depending on where you live)

I have lived in Seattle 3 years, I lived in Sacramento 8 years...I move move back to Sac today if I could...I like it much better there - but I like heat and lots of it. It's just too cold all year long here in Seattle for me...it doesn't even get into the 70s until well into July -

Where is Sacramento it's 75 today (80s this week) and gorgeous! In Seattle this week - it's rainy and gloomy and oh look the same exact damn weather since October.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:21 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,054,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
... It's just too cold all year long here in Seattle for me...it doesn't even get into the 70s until well into July -

Where is Sacramento it's 75 today (80s this week) and gorgeous! In Seattle this week - it's rainy and gloomy and oh look the same exact damn weather since October.

Yup. Well said. I just got off the phone with a friend and it's gray, cold, and raining steadily in Seattle right now ...yes, *laughs* just the way it's been since October!

In the 80s here too.

*looks around the room for tony, binky, and pwright and cowers in anticipation*

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-22-2007 at 12:07 AM..

Old 03-12-2007, 06:42 PM

23 posts, read 134,630 times
Dear Citygirl72,

Thanks for your comment. I am choosing Sierra College & Seattle's community colleges. Some people in my country said that the living standard in Washington is cheaper than that in CA. And Seattle is a big city than Rocklin . Rocklin is outside SAC. I love Sierra because of its dorms, the quiet enviroment. But the school reputation is not so good as Foothill, De Anza .... I am afraid of the transfer problem after 2 years. I want to transfer to Cal Poly Ponoma but not CSU Sacramento

And, the drug and crime problems in SAC is what I am afraid of!! How do you comment about Rocklin. Is it a safe place for students. I don't want to buy a car therefore I prefer I want dorms. Or any suggestions about school in Northern CA? I really need help. Thanks a lot

Old 03-12-2007, 08:08 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,067,040 times
Quote:
In Seattle this week - it's rainy and gloomy and oh look the same exact damn weather since October.

Oh you are so going down for that comment! LOL

Old 03-12-2007, 10:10 PM

388 posts, read 1,785,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Yup. Well said. I just got off the phone with a friend and it's gray, cold, and raining steadily in Seattle right now ...yes, *laughs* just the way it's been since October!

In the 80s here too.

*looks around the room for tony, binky, and pwright and cowers in anticipation*

--'rocco
Hey, I'll stand with you.

I talked with my best friend last night; I got the same weather report, and I only rubbed it in a little that the temperature here was low 70's and sunshine.

Well, maybe more than a little 8>)

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-22-2007 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: edited quote to reflect corrected post being quoted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area