Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 06:34 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times

Advertisements

I posted this in response to a guy who said everything is ten times harder in Seattle. I think it's:

Ten times easier to find organic food.
Ten times easier to breathe clean air.
Ten times easier to get to excellent hiking and trailheads.
Ten times easier to know that the people around you aren't racist, sexist, homophobes.
Ten times easier to feel that there people around you are mostly ethical.
Ten times easier to know that you won't experience violent crime.
Ten times easier to know that amazing views are all around you.
Ten times easier to get to Canada whenever you want.
Ten times easier to find independent coffee shops and bookstores.
Ten times easier to find incredible microbrews and small batch spirits.
Ten times easier to salmon, Dungeness crabs, oysters and amazing seafood.
Ten times easier to find great neighborhood blogs.
Ten times easier to people who love and maintain vintage homes.
Ten times easier to access literally hundreds of parks in Seattle.
Ten times easier to avoid rude "conversation", interrupting, abrupt behavior some people consider normal.
Ten times easier to enjoy green trees, flower, things that are alive.
Ten times easier to find a good job climate.
Ten times easier to know that even with climate change, we'll be okay.
Ten times easier to know that you are surrounded by people who sincerely care about the environment.
Ten times easier to know that the people around you aren't showy or ostentatious about their money.
Ten times easier to know that you'll have summers without the ridiculous heat & humidity.
Ten times easier to buy your food at farmers markets and directly from the grower.
Ten times easier to have the amenities of a big city, but feel like a small town.
Ten times easier to see a giant troll under a bridge eating a VW.
Ten times easier to pop you kayak in the water and go for a paddle.
Ten times easier to see the best professional soccer culture in America.
Ten times easier to find charming neighborhoods everywhere.
Ten times easier to find little free book kiosks in front of people's houses and people who love books.
Ten times easier to go over to friends' houses and not be bombarded with a blaring TV and pop culture.
Ten times easier to find people who actually care about recycling.
Ten times easier to find great thrift stores.
Ten times easier to see real crime fighting superheroes.
Ten times easier to take a boat and see real Orca whales.
Ten times easier to have a conversation about a substantive topic.
Ten times easier to meet an urban chicken farmer or be able to hire goats for weed removal.
Ten times easier to jump on a ferry boat anytime you want.
Ten times easier to find independent local papers, radio stations.
Ten times easier to meet a real Viking named Gunnar with a real Scandinavian accent.
Ten times easier to actually meet Eddie Vedder, Dave Matthews or Macklemore.
Ten times easier to find great Ethiopian, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean and farm to table restaurants.
Ten times easier to find religious and non religious diversity and to not be judged based on it.
Ten times easier to find people in blue jeans.
Ten times easier to see mountains, sunrises and sunsets everywhere you look.
Ten times easier to visit Bruce Lee's and Jimi Hendrix's graves in the same day.
Ten times easier to catch a flight to Asia or Hawaii.
Ten times easier to be asked to take your shoes off when you go in someone's house.
Ten times easier to meet highly educated people.
Ten times easier to find amazing summer music festivals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 12:45 AM

278 posts, read 335,471 times
I like the mountains, water, and forests. It will always be home of the great Bruce Lee.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:31 AM

439 posts, read 516,530 times
There's lots of things to love about Seattle, but it is just human nature to complain sometimes...

Besides, I thought this website was about scaring people away so more people don't move here ; )

Old 01-23-2016, 07:37 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Agreed sunburn. Let's just for once spread good vibes and say what we like about this place. What do you like?

Old 01-23-2016, 07:51 AM

People are much better drivers here, compared to California. I moved here in August and I've only once been angrily cut off in traffic... *Maturity*

Last edited by sunburned_in_seattle; 01-23-2016 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: deleting info

Old 01-23-2016, 07:52 AM

Less California road rage, it's not the Seattle way...

Also, it's like "Nerdtown, USA." I've found my people...

Thirdly, I appreciate how people are very "eco conscious", which says something about their character, IMO. It's like they care about the state of the planet when their grandkids come of age!

Also, the beautiful scenery; the water, the trees, the hills. Outdoor activities.

Last edited by sunburned_in_seattle; 01-23-2016 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: adding more info

Old 01-23-2016, 09:38 AM

450 posts, read 549,561 times
generally polite people and in King County, also a well-educated population.
clean air.
water, mountains, trees.
lots of good restaurants now compared to before.
good economy.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:41 AM

735 posts, read 870,822 times
Yeah, two mountain ranges, the Sound endless miles of hiking and friendly people. Yeah, we may or may not have a freeze problem, but at least daily interactions with people tend to be nice or maybe I just luck out and only deal with friendly people.

Do we have a homeless problem, yeah, but I feel like the city is cleaner then big cities back east, it's certainly greener both in terms of actual plant life and environmental concerns. During rush hour, I like seeing countless empty out of service buses rushing in the opposite flow of traffic to go back and pick up commuters. When I had a daily commute in Seattle, I liked Sounder Transit.

Completely second the relaxed clothing standards. Sure there are some people that get dressed up, but that guy in jeans and a hoodie could be something big in the tech world. I just wear jeans, a t-shirt and this time a year a fleece (bought at Costco not REI and on sale for like $15) and have never felt looked down on.

I will never get tired of walking along the waterfront, taking a ferry somewhere for a quick lunch and keeping an eye out for a harbor seal.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:26 PM

811 posts, read 1,146,098 times
Everything you said, homesinseattle, AND:

- Being just a couple of hours (or less) away from any outdoor setting you can dream of: the Pacific Ocean, gorgeous mountains (snow in winter, amazing hiking/biking trails in summer), reliably sunny Eastern WA (with nice, hot summers for boating and river-floating!), apple orchards, vineyards and wineries - all at your finger tips, just outside of an already gorgeous, nature-driven city.

- A thriving community of creatives: small theaters, art institutes/shared studio spaces for all kinds of genres, groups that encourage community and productivity between creative professionals

- LIVE MUSIC, not just at festivals, as already mentioned, but in every little hole in the wall, all over the city. Famous artists, artists you haven't heard of yet but will, dance music, rock music, folk music, singer-songwriters, jazz, totally entertaining cover bands...

- A food culture and community of chefs that regularly receives well-deserved national attention with restaurants constantly being touted in the likes of Bon Appetit, Saveur, Food & Wine..., up and coming chefs making marks on shows like Top Chef and Chopped... And their food just tastes freakin' good and is FUN to eat and experience.

- Oh my, the view of Mt Rainier through sunset-hued skyscrapers...

- Farmers' markets

- Seafair

- Outstanding higher education institutions: Seattle U, SPU, UW (a degree from which carries more weight than I ever would have realized!), and a fantastic CC system at Seattle Central.

I know I'll come up with more, but those are my amendments, for a start.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:25 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
I love Seattle's trolleybuses and wish they'd expand them throughout Seattle. The new ones are so quiet and smooth - hate the seats though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area